Spec Ops vs Shocktroops - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Girls no shirt no charge
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-01-13, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Spec Ops vs Shocktroops

Since I didn't want to hijack the thread about BCP and /lead chat, I created this thread.

What made me start this thread:
Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
@newsith, you realize a 5 man squad can do just as much as a 12 man squad in many situations right? especially when people are ignoring the side bases, as buzzcut did (the VS took side bases to avoid being warp gated).
5 man squad cannot. Just for comparison, few minutes ago we were holding Eisa Horizontal Gen with 11 people against a massive VS zerg. Once our number dried up to 5 we pretty much lost it.

2-6 people squad cannot impact the battlefild when it comes to fighting, that's the poiint. As for ghostcapping and fighting a 5v5 skirmishes on BL4 Crash, they do not exactly contribute much, since their effort gets instantly neutralized by any larger force.

In other words - let's compare the scales per Empire:
5/133 = ~3.75%
5/666 = ~0.75%
..and per continent:
5/399 = ~1.25%
5/1998 = ~0,25%

Here's blatant statistic, and it shows many things.
Strange. From my 18 man squad I send 6 to go cap Mani Biolab while the rest was in Andvari, holding the VS. They ended up getting the Biolab from the TR and we from the VS.

Smaller squads can't change the battles? Unlikely. Off course, if you suck at map assessment and your team mates can't be counted on, then that's the case.
That's ghosthacking, since I'm absolutely sure your six guys weren't countered by 15-20 more or less organized TR.

You see - I am not saying small squads are worthless and everybody who is in one is a noob. On the contrary 8 of my people successfuly turned the tide of a massive biolab fight by taking a tactical flanking meneuver around the SCU Shield Gen building and clearing it out, just yesterday or day before. However on a strategical scheme of things, small squads can do nothing, but ghosthack.

PS:
Code:
Strategy is the utilization, during both peace and war, of all of a nation's forces, through large-scale, long-range planning and development, to ensure security or victory. Tactics is the military science that deals with securing objectives set by strategy, especially the technique of deploying and directing troops, ships, and aircraft in effective maneuvers against an enemy.
In other words - Strategy = Plan, Tactics = Execution of the plan, in case you guys don't know the difference.

What's the point:
As we know PS2 didn't come shipped with the designs required for PlanetSide 1 Spec Ops teams to do their job. Their traditional jobs included Continent Backhacks, Providing Cave Links/Modules, NTU Drains, Genholds. PlanetSide 2 took that away, along with the strategical worth of small outfits and as a result - many of PS1 Spec Ops outfits had to requalify into shocktroops.

PlanetSide Spec Ops:
An outfit perfoming an action of strategical significance, utilizing sophisticated tactics, working generally alone.
PlanetSide Shocktroops: An outfit perfoming an action of lesser strategical significance, utilizing unconventional tactics to spearhead an assault by main zerg.

This is what I observed through many ex-Spec Ops outfits - you either grow, to be able to work as a standalone group or you become shocktroops. MercenaryS have performed quite a few of successful operations of that sort (including Eisa takeover today, that was later overrun by 252 and then blatantly declared to be their doing), but the problem is - I myself, and many of my outfit mates do not enjoy this kind of play. It just turns into "advanced zerging", and I am not exactly fond of such way.

Bottomline (TL;DR):

@Ex-Spec Ops people - Once (if) Spec Ops opportunities reemerge, will you retain the role of Spec Ops or remain Shocktroopers?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion