Tips for new/starting players - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: loves me! <3
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-02-23, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
darktengu
Private

Tips for new/starting players

Here are some tips I can give players to help improve their game. Feel welcome to post your own tips as it may help players ease into this game. And please, remember that these tips are for more solo players than giant outfits, as they have their own tactics.

Tip 1: Use your spot key! It's normally the Q button, so it's right next to the WASD. If players used their spot more often, as it was nerfed for a reason, I could help avenged them more often, rather than seeing a red dot. Speaking of which...

Tip 2: Use your Minimap! It's a god send and will improve your map awareness and your hunting prowess. I laugh when I see Youtube clips of a solo guy without a suppressor killing a whole squad of units because they didn't notice the blinking red dot on their minimap. So, use it and don't end up on pwned clips.

Tip 3: Shotgun! Personal tip of mine. Not only does the shotgun have the lowest time to kill, 2 shots usually, it also teaches you to move towards the objective. It's the best investment I have made in this game, had to grind to it, but reached the final metal with it first. Because of its weakness in mid-to-long combat, it will force you to move and learn bunny hopping.

Tip 4: Camping is not that useful unless you're already winning. Sometimes you're camped in, at which point don't waste your time or give free kills, so just redeployed or suicide. At other times, you can still make a difference. Running to objectives will teach you to fight better as you'll start to engage smarter.

Tip 5: Spawn Sunderers and use mine guards in a big fight. In the heat of a big battle, it can come all crashing down when the main Sunderer goes down. So, if you are able to, spawn a Sunderer and just park it without deploying to mislead the enemy. If you don't know where to deploy, don't, as you will be taking valuable Sunderer AoE space. But having one around may let the main Sunderer live longer as they fire upon the fake one. And use mine guards. It prevents suicide Engineers.

Tip 6: HS/NV scope. It's the best scope in the game and is just OP. On lower graphics settings, it would show units cloaked, though this may have been patched. It takes some time getting use to, but when you do, you won't get buyer's remorse. Other scopes may come in handy, but this one is on all my guns, except for the sniper rifle and side arm, of course.

Tip 7: Lose the Pay to Win mentality. The only true thing in this game that can give an advantage is boost. No single item, except for the rocket pods and maybe the shotgun, can uneven a fight. Many people are dissuaded by the fact that others have different weapons and blame that instead of their own fighting abilities. Most weapons have been balanced pretty well to the point that they are side grades, with only a few exceptions that remain pure upgrades. Most everything can be countered in infantry fighting, all tanks are balanced with exception to the useless Lightning starting gun, which is why you just use the main battle tank unless you unlocked the HE. Only air requires some investment, as ESF need their rocket pods and the Lib can use a better cannon.

Tip 8: Lose "the Crown" mentality. Right now, the Crown is useless. It takes away from the game as it is almost unbeatable unless you run an organized outfit or get lucky when no fighting is occurring. It takes so much manpower to take or defend that the whole map becomes a small fight. I know it won't mean much with me saying this, but I'm hoping the devs finally fix the crown so everyone can fight somewhere instead. Leading to...

Tip 9: When the initial momentum stops, it may be better to redeploy. The longer a battle takes, the more likely the defends is to win in certain areas. Bases that have good base designs are fun to play in for the full of the battle. You'll learn from experience which to hold and which to quit, but the biggest battles I see are from bad base designs. When a Bio-lab loses its initial momentum, just stop and redeploy as the defends just gets too powerful, I'm looking at you stacked Maxes.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions