The sniper nerf. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making you cry like a schoolgirl since 2002.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-11-25, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

The sniper nerf.

They're going to make BOLT ACTIONS NOT KILL AT LONG RANGE. Defeating the whole purpose of being a proper sniper. To get in a kill you must headshoot at LESS - yes, LESS - then 150m. A sniper rifle is a sniper rifle and shouldn't act like... Well, a none scoped rifle.

Meaning semi auto for long range as a bolt will never kill anyone at long range, defeating the purpose of having a bolt unless you're in the 150m mark, where semi auto's are more useful anyway (Way to get people to not buy weapons). Do the devs even know how difficult it is to get in an effective shot at such long range? First of all, you have to make sure they're not moving for an easy kill. And even if they ARE moving, that makes it even MORE difficult to shoot them as you're already having to look up and keep the target at the bottom of your crosshair (if not off the crosshair altogether), attempting to compensate for distance all the while. All while holding your breath and hoping you get the shot in time before the scope sways like crazy.

Now granted, snipers can be annoying in certain games (see Heroes and Generals for an example. Lots of wide open space with little cover would be why) but we're talking about a game with multiple classes and vehicles and lots of people. And, you know, buildings and rocks for cover. It can suck to get snipped at by some guy from a hill, but you can always grab a tank with HE rounds, or snipe yourself, or grab an aircraft (the number of times I landed behind one before disposing of them...), or, you know, MOVE IN AND TRY TO FLANK, which is what people are not doing because most of the game is a short attention span twitch fest. But there is strategy and tactics involved and getting off your ass and pulling yourself away from the main unit/zerg/battle for awhile to make surgical strikes is what can turn the tide of battle. I see this nerf doing much more harm then any good, taking away a threat and making infiltrators all but useless unless you stick with SMG's, which I would have PREFERRED to have been taken away instead as that would then mean an infiltrator has a useful roll which is different from close range killing which all classes can do. Not saying they should though as I can understand that people have been using them and are liking them, but an infiltrator with an SMG is more annoying then one with a sniper to me (the excuse for this nerf is that being snipped at long range is annoying). But it's war. Tank HE spam, again, annoying. But it's war. Libs? Hate the things when they have rockets (Splash damage reaches through doors) but again, war. Heavy using super shield when I'm not one? Yep, same there. Or worse, meeting a max as a none max without a rocket launcher? Yep, same there. But the point is it's a battlefield and it should act as one and bad things should happen. And snipers are one of those bad things (for better and for worse) and it's not like only one side has them. But for crying out loud, this damage reduction at range just makes no sense as it forces people to use only semi auto sniper rifles at long range as that's the ONLY way you'll even have a CHANCE at getting in that second shot, and if you miss (which you probably will having let the target know he's getting shot at now), he'll most likely just get healed before moving along. I was just getting into the sniper role and now that role has been stomped on and this might be something that'll put me off playing truth be told (the only thing keeping me going is the outfit and a hope of the game getting proper content added at some point). And as for those "boo hoo, sniped at long range complaints" look as what a sniper has to deal with at close range (which is mandatory to capture a point). And of course, let's not forget that they'll rarely looking behind them, leading back to flanking.

So to sum it all up, rant, range logic, rant, make time to eliminate them instead of ignoring them, rant, range logic again, rant, inefficient at short range, rant rant rant, flank.

Could have probably ranted less there but damn this makes me mad and I'm going to tell it like it is.

P.S: Thread made to prevent complaints of this leaking into other threads (which it most certainty has. The patch updates was nothing but complaints about the nerf). So post what you think of the possible (already implemented?) nerf here.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2014-10-10 at 12:08 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion