Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: a lot of fun with your pants off, too.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-08, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #226
gaz
Private

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

i kinda like this idea, but i think there should be more restrictions:

1. The Cruiser should only be commandable, but not pilotable.
2. The Cooldown should be per Outfit, at least 24h (If you're not able to defend a Cruiser, you should not have one).
3. The Amount of Cruisers per Faction should be limited to 3 per faction per contintent.
4. The Cruiser should stay at a fixed height, really high in the sky not being able to affect ground fights directly (above clouds?).
5. The Cruiser should be extremely slow.

Last edited by gaz; 2012-08-08 at 02:34 AM.
Old 2012-08-08, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #227
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by gaz View Post
i kinda like this idea, but i think there should be more restrictions:

1. The Cruiser should only be commandable, but not pilotable.
That is the way I imagine them, navigated, not steered. Like a ship rather than airplane.

2. The Cooldown should be per Outfit, at least 24h (If you're not able to defend a Cruiser, you should not have one).
This is already in.

3. The Amount of Cruisers per Faction should be limited to 3 per faction per contintent.
No hard limits, but rather an escalating cost soft cap.

4. The Cruiser should stay at a fixed height, really high in the sky not being able to affect ground fights directly (above clouds?).
Already in. But they shouldn't be too high in altitude either.

5. The Cruiser should be extremely slow.
Goes without saying. I figure the fastest of them shouldn't really be any faster than 35 kph and that should take almost a minute to reach.
Old 2012-08-10, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #228
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

For everyone complaining about beta keys
Old 2012-08-11, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #229
Chok
Private

Make them capturable? Would add an incentive to defend it as well as to attack it, also lets outfits have a real sense of ownership.

Lol dunno just a random idea
Old 2012-08-11, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #230
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They are destroyable, but capturable is still an option.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #231
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Chok View Post
Make them capturable? Would add an incentive to defend it as well as to attack it, also lets outfits have a real sense of ownership.

Lol dunno just a random idea
i can imagine the epic humiliation that would allow.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #232
Psyche
Private

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
But isn't the essence of the L.O.P. and the OAC the same? Aerial/Infantry combat absent of land vehicles? And possibly including some biome specific vehicles? (I.E. Larger aircraft style things in place of ships?)
Outside of some minor Behavior differences and Graphics, Air Cruisers / Low Orbit Platforms and Underwater Naval [I'm pretty sure there is a Thread about Naval expansion ideas floating around] - ALL are IDENTICAL, the only new element is the player defined/created bases.

I presented it as a 'evolution' of his idea and some might consider it that. However, I intended it as Scaled Back version of it to preferrable function as a 'stepping stone' to get to his idea and others [Naval].

Simply put, it would require a lot testing and tweaking to get working right, more than can be expected for in-house testing to do [one thing players are GREAT at is breaking things and finding flaws in designs].

Smedley, is actually tweeting/discussing Player Bases. Someone might want to consolidate Air Cruisers, Low Orbit Platforms and Naval ideas and present it to him - there's a lot of design review that precedes development where they would look at the viability of ideas [including building a roadmap to get to them {which hopefully my Low Orbital Platforms idea will make easier}.

Honestly, I've played Indie games similar to my LOP idea. They are not new to me and I would prefer the Air Cruiser idea [Naval I've dabbled with and while similar goes into a different direction than I like - ie. Speeds are slower and Armor is more important]. I would SOOOO love Air Infantry [Iron Man like stuff] or Air MAX's [Finally something to satisfy my Armored Core cravings without needing a Console system and in an Open World environment - even if its a Mini-version of it that isn't as powerful as anything else - in combined arms MAX's are more Jack of Trades than Masters of anything other than carrying a lot of firepower for there size [ie. Glass Cannons]]. Personally, that would be new to me. The only new thing about LOP to me would be that its high quality and that makes a difference but not a new game.

Ex. For a super rough, crude Tech Demo version of LOP's.

Take Planetside 1:
  • Turn off or Hide Ground.
  • Leave Buildings On and maybe raise the altitude.
  • Leave Water [maybe lower its altitude - thats basically the Ionosphere]
  • Replace Cloud graphics with Debris graphics and Skydome with Stardome.
  • Have all entities that exit out of buildings behave as Air Vehicles [invisible/logical vehicles]
  • Adjust Environmental properties (acceleration,deceleration, drag/air resistance, gravity - increased weapon ranges and what-not)
and there you have a super cheap version of LOP. Or Air Cruisers (multiple water levels to serve as different Altitudes where Flight Behavior changes drastically ~16k and ~34 where Engines become more efficient and powerful but maneuvability suffers[thinner atmosphere] Or Underwater Naval (you would have multiple water levels to serve as 'Thermal' Boundaries that exist underwater and Surface).

Last edited by Psyche; 2012-08-12 at 10:33 AM.
Old 2012-08-14, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #233
Pvt Badger
Corporal

I say limit their range to Allied territory. If your TR then only TR areas. Give them proximity guns to ward off aerial campers and a special Galaxy spawn terminal for assaults. To access one, your Outfit must invest Resources to its construction. Each of the three non-SC resources affects the construction differently (The rarer: the faster it's out.). One speeds up the construction, one allows the carrier to be purchased, and the last one improves both.

Visually, I love the idea of fighters dropping out of a floating base and into Air-to-air combat to provide a distraction so the Gal can lift off. From the ground it would be amazing to see it fly over a cliff as a murder of Mossies fly over head and into an Outfit Carrier.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #234
Gugabalog
Major

One refers to a group of mossies as a murder of them?

I like that. "MURDER APPRAOCHING! 8 O'CLOCK!"

Heheheh.

Anyways, yeah it seems like a good idea. Maybe eventually have LOP's in addition? Or you could upgrade into an LOP? Or into a sea base? Or maybe you must have one of the two other bases to launch a cruiser? and only like once a week per outfit?
Old 2012-08-14, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #235
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Pvt Badger View Post
I say limit their range to Allied territory. If your TR then only TR areas. Give them proximity guns to ward off aerial campers and a special Galaxy spawn terminal for assaults. To access one, your Outfit must invest Resources to its construction. Each of the three non-SC resources affects the construction differently (The rarer: the faster it's out.). One speeds up the construction, one allows the carrier to be purchased, and the last one improves both.

Visually, I love the idea of fighters dropping out of a floating base and into Air-to-air combat to provide a distraction so the Gal can lift off. From the ground it would be amazing to see it fly over a cliff as a murder of Mossies fly over head and into an Outfit Carrier.
Nice imagery

That said if we have to limit them to certain hexes, they must be able to enter enemy hexes adjacent to friendly hexes. Simply so they can fight each other directly.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #236
Pvt Badger
Corporal

One refers to a group of mossies as a murder of them?

I like that. "MURDER APPRAOCHING! 8 O'CLOCK!"

Heheheh.

Anyways, yeah it seems like a good idea. Maybe eventually have LOP's in addition? Or you could upgrade into an LOP? Or into a sea base? Or maybe you must have one of the two other bases to launch a cruiser? and only like once a week per outfit?
Here's a fragment from the wiki: Murder: used to describe a large flight of combat aircraft. Presumably named after a “Murder of Crows”

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/...nyms_and_Slang

Just thought of something. I hope that the Carrier would have a major problem turning. I don't want to see a clegged Carrier wedged into Hvar.
Old 2012-08-14, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #237
sgtbjack
Corporal

Originally Posted by Pvt Badger View Post

This would have to be a must(for me) as I don't want these things ruining the tactical layout of the ground by offering a mobile spawn base anywhere, ruining the ebb and flow of the battles. If it was stuck over hexxes controlled by the faction, than I think it would effect very little, other than being a symbol of might.
Old 2012-08-15, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #238
Gugabalog
Major

Awww, no responses to the idea of needing an outfit base as a prerequisite? Maybe have a specific module for the base that you need to sacrifice something else fore?
Old 2012-08-15, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #239
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Awww, no responses to the idea of needing an outfit base as a prerequisite? Maybe have a specific module for the base that you need to sacrifice something else fore?
The reason these were made outfit assets was because outfit bases on the ground aren't feasible and never will be in a game like PlanetSide.
Old 2012-08-15, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #240
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
The reason these were made outfit assets was because outfit bases on the ground aren't feasible and never will be in a game like PlanetSide.
The will when we get sandbox conts that smedly suggested.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault