Few questions about game mechanics - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Chomp on this!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-10-13, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kopikatsu
Private

Few questions about game mechanics

Soooo I just joined the beta today and got up to level 5. I'd like to think I understand the game pretty well mechanically, buuut there were a few questions that I had.

1. How do you revive people? I looked in the Medic certs, but couldn't find anything relating to that. But I'm pretty sure that the last guy to revive me was an Infil anyway. Also, does it give XP? I imagine not, since resupplying and healing other people don't (Why?).

2. How do you hack panels as an Infil? I asked a friend, but he said that it wasn't possible...but the upgrade is in the game and I've seen a hacked panel before. Also...does that give XP?

3. How does base capture work? I know that you capture the control points and wait until the bar fills, but there was a time on the Desert map where after a long and grueling battle, we (TR) finally managed to take back the Crown from Vanu. Even after we'd cleared out their forces, it still look a REALLY long time to capture the base. Literally about two minutes after we all headed out, Crown fell under Vanu control again. How'd they recapture it so quickly when it took us so long to secure control the first time?

4. Is there anything to spend Infantry points on besides Maxes? Because I'm always stuck with 750 IP with Max on cooldown.

5. The HI's rocket launcher can be upgraded to lock onto tanks- does this work on aircraft as well? Sitting on a rock somewhere and shooting down aircraft with Stinger missiles is basically all I did in Battlefield 3 because it was hilarious.

6. Does the Infil's cloak give different levels of obliqueness depending on your actions? Because sometimes I'll walk right past a squad of enemies while cloaked and none of them notice me, and other times there'll be 1-2 guys who always know where I am even when cloaked.

7. How do you pick up ammo packs that the Engineers drop? Can't figure it out...

8. Is it me or is the hit detection a little wonky? Like, I'll hit a tank with a rocket launcher directly (and the hit marker confirms it), but it'll sometimes do like 1/15th of it's health but other times it'll do half.

9. What's the deal with grenades? I used to get them, but now I keep spawning with 0 and resupplying at a Sundy doesn't give me more either. It's like the game didn't like how I was using the grenades it gave me and took them away as punishment. :'(

10. Do you have to make a new character for each server? If yes, then are certs persistent or do you have to build each character up from battle rank 1?

11. They're selling in-game money to buy weapons and stuff with, but I've heard that PS2 wipes fairly often. Does this mean that anything you buy with real money will carry over/get refunded, or do you just lose it?

There are probably more things I meant to ask but have since forgotten about. Oh well.

Last edited by Kopikatsu; 2012-10-14 at 12:35 AM.
Old 2012-10-14, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Shenyen
Private

Re: Few questions about game mechanics

1. Use the healing tool on a corpse - but last week they introduced a bug that (for me quite often) makes your character unable to heal/rez until you relog, maybe you've run into that bug a few times.

2. I never did this, but i guess you have to hold E near the terminal

4. and 9. can be answered with the same answer: You have to buy grenades with the infantry resource :P
Open up your Loadout-screen, click on the grenade icon, then you should see the option to buy new grenades on the right

They are very cheap (and only cost ingame-resource, not any real money resource), but you can only have 40 of them at any time. So you have to remember to stock up regularly.

7. IIRC, just stand on top/near the ammo-drop.

10. New characters start with 0 certs and you have to create a new one for each server.

11. They have wiped the characters a few times because this game is still in beta and if they wouldn't wipe the characters once in a while, people would never use earlier weapons/certs again or SOE would be unable to figure out how the cert-gain should be balanced.

But: During this beta, you can't buy anything for real money, so you never lose something you paid real money for and OF COURSE, after release they will never wipe any characters unless a major fuckup allowed some players to aquire a billion certs by shooting at a tree or something^^ But even then, they would most certainly only roll back the servers instead of wiping all chars...

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions