PSU: I quit smoking with Planetside!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-06-20, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Nas Genix
Private

Internet speed help

hey, im running a pretty crappy computer Dell Dimension L800 ($900 and stock to the bone). And i have a 56k modem. Will that be too slow to play the game? Can anyone who owns the game please let me know? thanx
Old 2003-06-20, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
PhadeToBlack
Private

Well I've got sufficent system power to run it, but my connection is slow, even for dial up, and I can tell you right now its just not enough. Coupled with a minimal system, I don't think you would have an enjoyable gaming experience.

However, we might have different ideas of what is minimal. Perhaps you could post system specs?

PhadeToBlack
Old 2003-06-20, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Nas Genix
Private

i dont know much about computers... all i know is it is a really cheap dell from the comercials with the idiot saying "dude you getting a dell" lol
Old 2003-06-20, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
PhadeToBlack
Private

Well then I assume you are running XP, so right click "My Computer" on the desktop, go to proprties, and if it doesn't default to it, click the "General" tab.

List the Processor Speed and the amount of RAM.

I get the feeling its gonna fall short, but you never know.

I'll check back in a few.
Old 2003-06-21, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Nas Genix
Private

Im running Millenium..... and i cant seem to find what your talking about. Do you know how to find it on ME?
Old 2003-06-21, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Nas Genix
Private

Found it. It says:

Intel Celeron Processor... doesnt seem to say speed
and 127 MB RAM

i think 127 is really low when i hear people talkinga bout 512 lol, how can i get more RAM?
Old 2003-06-21, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
PhadeToBlack
Private

Man... thats lower than I expected...

Out of curiosity, how old is this system?

and as for your RAM situation, you have to buy more.

I would suggest www.googlegear.com. However, I do not believe ram is your only problem.
Old 2003-06-21, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Nas Genix
Private

I got it 2 years ago for my birthday. I told my parents i wanted a comp and they decided to get the cheapest peice of shit on the market haha. What else would you recamend I upgrade? and thanx for the help
Old 2003-06-21, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

You'd probably have to get a new computer... That one is very weak and really isn't worth upgrading. There is no one thing that will make a computer instantly awesome, it's a combination of everything.
Old 2003-06-21, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
PhadeToBlack
Private

Powda is right. With a 2 year old system, you'd have to upgrade EVERYTHING anyway, so you might as well just get a new system.

A suggestion:

If you are only going to be able to get a computer every 2 years (been there myself, when my parents bought them, lol), do what I did. Make the case that buying one very good computer would be a much better investment over the 2 years than a bottom of the line piece of crap.

Also, since you are buying ready made, I would suggest using Dell, and going through their Small Business section. Since you have a computer already, your monitor (and maybe speakers) are probably still ok to use, and through small business you are able to buy just a tower. This knocks a good bit off the price, and still allows you to get a pretty good (not Uber like some of the stuff other people on this forum have) system.

Also, if you have a large hard drive in your current computer as I did, you could bring that to your new computer and just get whatever the cheapest drive they have is.

Late December (yeah, I got them to buy it for Christmas, because I'm not gonna spend my own money when I can spend someone elses ) of last year, I purchased the following for roughly $830.

Pentium 4 @ 2.4 Ghz
256 MB of RAM (If possible, upgrade your own RAM, this is one place Dell really bends you over a barrel, and RAM isn't hard to install)
30 GB Hard drive (Free upgrade, and I have a 100 GB Western Digital 7200 I moved over)
GeForce 4 MX 420 64 MB
40x CD-RW
DVD Drive
Standard Floppy drive (of course. )

I think thats all the pertinent info. on it.

If you are not sure what to get, I can piddle around with their different systems and see what I can get for a decent price that still has sufficent gaming power.

PhadeToBlack
Old 2003-06-21, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

ugh stay away from dell go to www.ibuypower.com much better comps at better prices

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-06-21, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

Powda is teh smart.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum