Patch download time... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does this Thresher have cupholders?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-06-21, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dooby
Private

Patch download time...

I just bought the game today after much hassling from friends at work, managed to install it ok ( after some teething problems... )

opened the start centre thing, started downloading the patch ... est time 4 HOURS! ( this is on 600k connection ) is that right? or did the install not work right ( first time it didnt seem to complete, and gave me a 27 hour download estimate...must have been looking to download most of the game I think )

I know there have been several patches, but the files being downloaded seem to be graphics and textures...

if this is right, then maybe sony/ubi soft should be shipping patch disks to retailer to run after install...
Old 2003-06-21, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

Hmmm, Seems a little long.
Old 2003-06-21, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dooby
Private

i was expecting 2 hours or so, but 4...
do you think its worth reinstalling?

it aint going to be finished till 1:30 am at this rate

*edit...*

think i may have an idea whats going on...

all the files seem to have _delta at the end, so i assume they are difference files....
and I have just seen the 3dsounds file come through for a second time....
seems like i may be downloading each patch in sequence...rather than a single 'rolled up' patch...

Last edited by Dooby; 2003-06-21 at 03:51 PM.
Old 2003-06-21, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
kelisis
Private

Yeah, and also alot of those patchs are 100's of megabytes if not more. Just have patience young jedi.
Old 2003-06-21, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dooby
Private

i still think that if the patches are getting that big, then sony/ubi soft should be looking at sending patch cd's to stores so they can be given out with the game
Old 2003-06-21, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

It could be that your server is going slowly, not your connection. The timer is also known to be wrong sometimes too.

If it makes you feel any better I had to spend 14 hours downloading the first patch on 56k, so you shouldn't have a hard time waiting for four. Just do it at night.
Old 2003-06-21, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dooby
Private

Originally posted by powdahound
Just do it at night.
yeah, thats what i am doing...
well, hopefully be online tommorrow...providing it doesnt crash on me
Old 2003-06-21, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
PhadeToBlack
Private

My download times haven't been that bad (compareitvely speaking, since I'm on a 26.4 dial up conneciton)...

Both patches I've had to DL have been somewhere between 3 and 4 hours...

I remember when I played MW4, and Micrsoft came out with the 2.5 patch. The terrain files and the patch all ended up being around 300 megs as I remember.

Try pulling that through a dial up connection. :P
Old 2003-06-22, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

In beta we had a patch that had to be at least 250mb... That's the one that took me 14 hours I think.
Old 2003-06-22, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
malikai3k
Private

I wanna know what SOE were thinking putting 150mb files in a game that they know they're going to update constantly. make 1 line change to this file you need to download the whole file.

wouldn't 15 x 10mb files made more sense, 1 line change you just gotta get 10mb not 150.
Old 2003-06-22, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

They don't require you to redownload the file, it reconstructs them. That's why every time a sound is changed you don't have to download that huge ass 3dsounds.wav file.
Old 2003-06-23, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dooby
Private

yeah, they seem to use deltas...

I think the problem I had was i had to download each patch and havce it applied in sequence because they are deltas...
it would get to a point where a complete download would be smaller than all the deltas though i think...
Old 2003-06-23, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Heh, I remember that 14 hour beta patch. Nearly killed me when I got it in under 7 hours (big props to Cable technology)

One thing I've noticed is that their Estimated Times are a little unreliable. This last patch said that I'd have a 3 hour download and it only took me 5 minutes to download and reconstruct.

If I were you, just go home and download the patch before you go to bed.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-06-23, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
malikai3k
Private

they may use deltas fine, I understand that the patch they brought out might be a little large was around 120Mb

Ok but the bug fixes to the bugs the patch introduced were the same size as the original patch (I'm talking the 1.5patch) so on my cable over the weekend I racked up 450mb to patch the game. I can see my hourly usage thats how I know how much and I know what I was doing in those hours and when I grabbed the updates.

Put that on top of actually playing the game 5-10Mb/hr.

The reason why I'm bitching is that I have a 3gb cap on my cable after which i pay about 20c per mb which as you can see gets real freaking expensive. I wish I didn't live in Australia sometimes.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum