PSU: I can't believe it's not spam!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2005-01-09, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EarlyDawn
Major General

[Geek]Anyone play Warhammer 40K?

I'm thinking of starting. I've downloaded the rulebook and a ton of codexes, and am trying to decide which army to build. I'm more of a defensive long-range typed guy, so I was thinking Tau.

Advice? Comments?
Old 2005-01-09, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

DoW is the bomb. Ill play sometime I guess.

edit: oh WARHAMMER the game. no thanks, nerd.
Old 2005-01-09, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
I Hate Pants
General

Used to. I played Orks. I had close to a 2000 point army. After about 2 years of playing my friends and I started playing less and less until we never even speaked about it again.

I guess once they noticed beer and marijuana we found other things to do.

Be warned if your gonna start playing, buying an army will make a serious dent in your wallet. These things aren't cheap.

And please say you aren't collecting space marines. Please!!!!!! Everyone plays space marines!!!!!!
Old 2005-01-09, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
EarlyDawn
Major General

As I said, probably Tau or one of the marine offshoots. Maybe Dark Angels.
Old 2005-01-09, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Giovanni
Colonel

Yeah I play, I used to have a black templar army (6000 points) but I sold it all in an auction at my local GW. I'm starting over with a custom chapter, the brotherhood of steel (shameless fallout ripoff).

Edit: If you want to do a unique Tau army and if your good at painting organic matter, go ahead and do a kroot army those guys kick ass and I think you can find custom rules to make a good army that isnt just infantry.

Last edited by Giovanni; 2005-01-09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 2005-01-09, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

I like Blood Ravens personally, that what I used to play as. I play DoW because its a great digital replacement.
Old 2005-01-09, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
FlamingPotato-J
Staff Sergeant

Tau rock with their tanks.

Join the resistance before its too late! Dont let google take over the world! Set your homepage to anything BUT www.google.com

Google = SkyNet

The goal of the resistance is not total elimination of google, just don use it as your homepage.

Feel free to use the text, if you feel so inclined.
Old 2005-01-10, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lusence
Sergeant

Umm ive played dawn of war for the PC. I perferred the chaos marines.
Old 2005-01-10, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Use hacks.
Old 2005-01-10, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

My little bro (not Knight Wyvern, the littler bro) plays Warhammer 40k (yes, the tabletop, not just DoW). I bought him DoW for xmas but so did my stepmom. So I returned DoW and got him "Old One Eye" Carnifex and a Warrior Brood. Cost me $80. But I figure its worth it, I'd rather have him painting models than whoring CSS and DoW on my computer.

The kid reads the Warhammer 40k books too, guess he really likes him. Maybe I'll buy him a few of those to keep him busy. Seriously, its worth spending money to keep this kid quiet and occupied.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2005-01-10 at 01:05 AM.
Old 2005-01-10, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

If you are just getting started then play Marines. They are pretty much the Easy button in 40k, and are the most noob friendly.

The thing about 40k is even with the new edition, it's still too damn small a surface to really have any kind of actual shooting battle. There are some armies that can take %50 casualties in the first turn if they don't win initiative. That just sucks! That would be the Tau and the Guard... so they take a lot of Finese to play, while requiring none at the same time.

If you want a better shooting type game, then find someone in your area who plays Epic, and get them to play with you. At least in Epic your entire army isn't in H2H by turn 2... that sucks.

Regardless find a good local Gaming store, if there isn't one, then don't bother players are too hard to find, then go buy all your stuff from there (no online crap, it's cheaper, but Table top gaming is comunity based upon local retailers, every thing you buy online takes directly from them and will eventually mae them go away.) And before you buy a thing, play atleast 4 games with the army you are looking to play, or one similar.

A good 40k army when all is said and done can cost up to $600 (most are about $300) so before you invest those kinda clams make sure you enjoy it!

PAX

Pilgrim

p.s. I run an Armegedon steel Legion I.G. about 3000 points and I have the required 5000 points of Orks that every veteran player whould have!
Old 2005-01-10, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
OfaLoaf
Colonel

I'm just starting up a small IG army myself, with a squad or two, a Chimera, and a Sentinel. It's pretty fun with the most recent edition out. The Doctrines give an IG player some real personalization possiblities that are legit and can be used in a Tournament.
Old 2005-01-10, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I've started a cadian (Imperial Guard) army recently. So far I have 3 kasrkins, a battleforce, and a commissar.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge