Uploaded Outfit Decals - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making life taste better
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-05-18, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Uploaded Outfit Decals

I would imagine it has been discussed before, but what is the general impression of uploading your own outfit decals?

I don't think it would lag the game much if at alll, on Rogue Spear we were able to create and use our own custom armpatches. I think somthing like this help out the outfit scene alot more than some might think.
Old 2005-05-18, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Nope, can't do it.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2005-05-18, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I've always thought they should have a bi-monthly contest where people can submit their decals, and every two months the developers vote on three to add into the game (the top three, as it were). Then those are added with the next patch. Etc etc. I think the only thing standing in the way there is time/desire, and creative property issues. Much like the volunteer guide in UO suing OSI for unpaid hours, despite being a goddamn volunteer, there may be a legal avenue for suit against SOE for someone volunteering their art for the game.
Old 2005-05-19, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

I've always thought they should just do mix and match with a selection of text backgrounds and symbols.
Old 2005-05-19, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ChronoSphere
Corporal

From a system standpoint, the more decals you carry, the more the game has to hold in memory and the more different types have to be displayed on screen. I remember T-ray explaining this when someone asked for another armor color scheme for the BR20's (when BR20 was max).
Old 2005-05-19, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

well we arent talking about new models, nor a skin file, all this would be is a .gif or standard image file that is displayed in the decal location on each specific model It's already evident that it is this way because sometimes during choppy situations you can see your outfit decail flicker, or when black marks get on your vehicle you see just a little black square over the decal.

Maybe I just don't know enough about the mechanics of the game but I doubt that lag would be the major issue with it
Old 2005-05-20, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
juggalokilla
Sergeant

well if they can add new vehicles with new paint styles as well as new weapons, meteor showers...ETC I cant see how this would add any dramatic changes. like ^^^^ said, its just a GIF image or other type low res image that everyone has on their armor now. Its not like there would be more decals on the vehicle, just a different one.
Old 2005-05-20, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kam
Major

There is nothing in the engine restricting it, if anything it's the legal issue. Even if they had you sign a contract saying it was ok, you could still sue saying you were lied to or mislead. Unfortunately, that's what we get for living in the "sue you, sue me, sue everybody" culture of the US.
Old 2005-05-21, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I wish it was just the US
Old 2005-05-21, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Would give an arm or a leg to see that stamped on all my raiders =*(
Old 2005-05-21, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

i think that they could do something like that, but i think it should have a limit of 3 colours, you could have any thing you want except explicit stuff, but it would be like a grey scale, if you were TR, your three colours would be red, black, and grey, NC would have blue, yellow and grey, and VS would have green, purple, and grey. Tat way, it would much more resemble your empire.
Old 2005-05-21, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Well there are those common pool logos, and they have whatever colours on them
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion