Marauding in the Marauder - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now Fat free
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2006-02-21, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xuka
Private

Marauding in the Marauder

MARAUDER

First off, make sure what is in the trunk, your backpack, your driver seat, passenger seat (chaingunner), and rear gunner position (Ground Pounder) is what you need. The trunk will hold 3 boxes of chaingun ammo, 3 boxes of mortar- Also place within this- 1 glue gun (just incase), 2 boxes of glue, 2 sets of jammers

Next is backpacks. We'll begin with the driver. The driver should have a gluegun, box of glue (you're primary repair man. You won't always have time to go in your trunk to swap for a glue gun. You'll waste precious moments- exposed and stationary), 1 set of jammers (you never know when you'll have to clear a set of mines at a courtyard entrance, tower, chokepoint, or jam vehicles), a sweeper & 1 box ammo out in the field repairing, it's good to have a weapon to pop and drop that cloaker who snuck up), and whatever else you want.

What is in the passenger's backpack?
The passenger (chaingunner) should not get out of the car often. If so, it's usually to jam vehicles. In his backpack is a MCG or Sweeper, 2 sets of jammers, and whatever else. If we run into towers/bases he's my point man.

What is in the rear gunner's backpack?
Rear gunner (ground pounder) should be Rexo for this idealistic loadout- 1 to 2sets of jammers, Cycler & 2-3 boxes ammo,Striker & 2-3 boxes ammo, glue gun (which he can get from the trunk and trade out a couple boxes of cycler ammo for) plus throw in a med and repair kit if able. If for some reason you can't stuff an AV/REXO/Engineer in your rear gunner seat, have him be an AV or Spec Assault user at least. IF AV and in agile.... 1 set of jammers, striker, 2 boxes ammo, whatever else. If spec assault user, then carry a rocket rifle with 4 boxes of anti-air flak. If indoors, he'll be in the back with his cycler or striker for maxes.

*advanced medic cert helps, nothings worse than having a 1-2 crew members die and ruin your run.

Ok, pull out the buggy, open that trunk up to squad, pick up gunners, and get to a silo to load up your trunk favorite. Communication is the most important thing in the vehicle. Primarily, it will be the driver's job to call out targets. You need open air on your teamspeak to speak/hear all instructions. All instruction should be relevant. "Ooh Oooh I see someone!" "Dude, over there! Over THERE!!" <examples of useless BS that serves to frustrate your gunner/driver. "infantry- 3 o'clock" "Reaver on our 6." <All good pertinent information. Try to keep the verbal high 5's to a minimum. Do a quick 'VVG' to congratulate someone on a nice shot. It won't clog up teamspeak and it's quick.

THE DRIVERS ROLE: takes the evasive maneuvers, primary individual in target assessment, decides where to attack, the direction to attack from, the distance gunners will engage fire, maintains safe distance from target, when to flee, determines where repairs should be, is main repair man, could go on. The pressure is here. Gunners can't do jack if this guy isn't on the ball.

Marauder has little armor, but has speed, firepower, and mobility. Most driving you'll have to learn from experience- Learn to keep optimum distance from targets. Most vehicles this is 1 to 2 Galaxies away in distance. From infantry, maybe only a Vanguard distance apart, and infantry with jammers- a full Galaxy transport size away. I recommend driving in Virtual Reality Training. Note the speed you can travel up hills in relation to how steep they are. Hop in the Gunner positions, learn the angles with which you can tilt the weapons along the Z axis. In the gunners position, take note how far you should be to optimize the gunners chance of landing a kill. Learn to move in figure 8s, Zig and Zag, drive in reverse, etc.

As the driver, you need to assess what is out there. What is your objective? Are infantry storming from a tower? Going AMS hunting? Out to hunt light cavalry? Look at the map... Where are you headed? What direction will you approach? What type of terrain will you traverse? Where is CE likely placed enroute to the objective? I identified what my targets would be, verbally stated our target/objective, and always tried to flank targets while maintaining an optimal distance. Here's a for instance.....

"Ok guys, we have 3 infantry with phoenix on this hill. We will approach them from the left side of the hill and I'll place our targets at 12 o'clock. I want our guns looking to the front. Open fire on my command. All other targets are to be ignored, focus is infantry on hill." We traveled up the left side of the hill, all guns were pointed to 12 o'clock in respect to the vehicle, infantry was spotted, I waited 'til I was a couple AMS lengths away slowed our speed, waited for the vehicle to angle the guns at an optimum level, and gave the commence fire. With the Marauder at 1/2 speed, chaingun and pounder blazing at full auto, We eliminated 2 of 3 targets. We could loop back around for the final kill or go for necessary repairs and later return.

Such a simple plan can avoid several rookie mistakes: 1. We flanked our opponents outside their field of vision- enabling us to land the first shots. 2. I, as the driver, would give the order to fire. I decided the distance/angle we'd engage. Often, gunners fire at the enemy upon sight. This is fine if you're already spotted, as it it too late for any element of surprise. But if the enemy doesn't have visual on you, WAIT to reach an optimal range to fire. This will greater ensure a kill and reduce the amount of return fire. 3. My gunners weren't looking all over the place, we predetermined our target, the angle of approach, and all fire was concentrated on the same field of fire. The alternative would've been charging the hill, slowly climbing the front of it, gunners blasting away at seperate targets, me not having a clue what they are firing upon, the phoenix users would have seen/heard the fire (considering they didn't already notice us approaching from their direct field of vision) and would have made hasty work of us.

The drivers other main job is repairs. The driver is the designated repairman and usually the sole repairman for two reasons 1. The Marauder hasn't much armor, so it's a quick fix. 2. I want my chaingunner with his eyes to the sky spotting for aircraft and my ground pounder searching for infantry and ground vehicles. If any other crewmember is wanted to speed up repairs, make it the ground pounder. The chaingunner is the only one that can harrass all opponents (ground/air). The ground pounder is hopeless vs. air for the most part and limited accuracy beyond short-medium range. Also, where will you repair? Know where you will repair and how you'll get there. Waypointing a safe location is best. Usually, Bases are safe for silo or glue gun repair. Unless the base is being bombed, then drive outside the base opposite the main enemy charge and do a glue gun repair. If you are away from base, try to repair over hills/behind trees hidden from enemy view.

SIDE PASSENGER (CHAINGUNNER'S) ROLE: His primary role is early warning system and Anti-aircraft. Secondary to that is concentrating fire with the ground pounder toward armor and infantry.

This guy should always have his head on a swivel. If he spots enemies, most epecially aircraft, and even more particulary- Reavers, he needs to alert the driver to their presence and location. Now, when I said he's anti-aircraft, I don't mean he has a kick ass weapon that will annihilate aircraft. He just happens to be the only gunner that can hit the aircraft. The ground pounder can hit hovering air, even then it has to be close range. DO NOT fire on aircav unless it fires at you first. Reavers can quickly decimate buggies and mosquitos can harrass them and push them away from their objective. Aircraft can quickly escape your fire, heal, and come back to blow you away. Of course there will be exceptions, a mosquito hovering near a tower with 5% life left, a reaver grounded for repairs in close range after you pop a hill..... etc. But for all you rookies that aren't sure.... do not fire at aircraft until fired upon.

Ok, the chaingunners secondary roles: anytime the marauder has engaged light armor, heavy armor, spots an AMS, he provides additional fire on these targets along with the ground pounder. Your additional damage can be key in deciding the battle against armored units. The other secondary role of the chaingunner is to engage infantry. Yes, I know it's most fun to wipe the infantryman, but this is best handled by the ground pounder and at high speeds the chaingun has trouble maintaining it's crosshairs on infantry. Aside from the times the driver specifically asks for concentrated fire on a location (as in the above example with against the pheonix users) there are usually only 3 different times I like my chaingunner to fire at infantry as a driver: 1. We are about to die, and it's because of the infantryman firing upon us. Then ok, we need all the firepower directed at the infantry we can muster. 2. The driver has asked the chaingunner to snipe at infantryman at long range. 3. There is a high level of confidence no vehicles/aircraft are around (an assessment you should leave to the driver most times). Of course, there are exceptions to all rules, but these are good rules to play by until you are confident in your primary roles as a chaingunner.
Old 2006-02-21, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Xuka
Private

Page 2

REAR GUNNER (GROUND POUNDER'S) ROLE: The ground pounders job is simple: He pounds the hell out of all his targets. The not so simple part: the ground pounder is probably the hardest weapon in game to get the handle of due to the high arc. Go to virtual reality and practice with this gun before you ever try to go live. You need to get a feel for the speed and arc of this weapon. Aim at different close/medium/and even far range targets. Once these target start moving life gets even harder. The only other thing I'll stress with this weapon is have patience, it's optimum range is short-medium. Don't immediately fire at targets the moment you see them. Esp. infantry. Yes, they do fall fast to the ground pounder, but if you wait 'til your driver sneaks up to a short distance- you'll much more quickly garner a kill with little chance for escape or return fire. As your skills grow you'll be able to initiate fire from greater ranges with confidence, until that time, allow your driver to draw you into a more comfortable range.

Due to the slow rotation of the Ground Pounder, my rear gunner kept his crosshairs between the 10 and 2 o'clock locations in respect to the vehicle. Reason being, I called the targets, I knew their location, and I knew what I wanted my ground pounder to fire at. As long as I put my targets at 12 o'clock, my rear gunner was never gonna to miss sight of the intended target. The chaingunner is looking out for threats, the ground pounder is at the ready to destroy whatever lies in front. If there was a threat I wanted him to direct fire at away from the 10 and 2 position, then the chaingunner or myself would direct him towards it. AND once that threat was eliminated he knew to go back to 10 and 2.

I will quickly go over common encountered vehicles/infantry and how to handle them.

Infantry-

-with medium or heavy assault= Pound 'em. 'Nuff said.

-with Deciminators/Spec Assault= As above, plus, move in figure 8s and zig-zag. Let the ground pounder work or you can chaingun snipe from range.

-with handheld AV= Phoenix in tandem can make quick work of buggies. Try flanking them from the side or behind. You may have to do a long loop around. Same thing goes for Lancers, but if you have hillsides to work with then it gets alot easier. Big difference is.... Phoenix users- try to get the drop on 'em once and if ya can't eliminate the majority on the first pass... they will most likely become too much of a hazard to engage again. Lancer users you can f' with all day if you have the terrain. Hide over a nearby hill, rear gunner gets out and climb to the hill top, he can pick at them with his cycler and monitor their movements as you repair. If they start to charge the hill, finish repairs, pop over the hill, and ground pound from higher ground.

-light tanks= Try to circle 'em if possible. They'll become a stationary target most times. If they hold stationary, cease circling and perform figure 8s. Most times they'll hold stationary and you can eliminate them.

-Threshers= Fast vehicle, but inaccurate fire. Keep them guessing which way your about to go and try to get them to chase you. If you can make it over a hill and they persue- stop just over the crest of the hill so they are drawn in next to you. When they pop the hill, open fire on a nice, easy, and close target.

-Enforcers= Up close it's a battle of better aim and evasive maneuvers. I recommend firing at a medium/longe range. The rate of fire and speed of the projectile on an Enforcer are poor. The chaingun is accurate and the high rate of fire and projectile speed on the ground pound can completely saturate an area. The ground pound misses alot, but you'll get lucky shots, the chaingunner misses little and will keep plucking life away.

-AMS= Keep a medium distance. If you get right up next to an AMS, there is a chance mines will blow you away. Stay positioned at the rear end or front end of the AMS so the ground pound can then see both sides where the equipment terminals are. The chaingunner should keep constant fire on the AMS. The ground pound eliminates infantry and pounds at the AMS when no infantry are present. Make exceptions as necessary, but this is what works best.

-Aircav= REAVERS- Drive away from 'em fast. The second you start to hear rocklets fired, do a 180 turn try to get under him, hope he freezes up and starts to hover and go at him with the chains and pounder. It's worked for me before, but the reaver recently had an AV buff- don't go without a fight. MOSQUITO- usually just a pain unless you're low on life. Chaingunner stays on him and the driver trys to get underneath him to make him hover in one spot. If he tries to snipe from a distance, climb the crest of a hill. Turn right 90degrees hard and stop. Driver hops out with his glue gun for repairs (don't worry the mosquito can't put his sites on you because you'll be on the opposite end of the vehicle) the ground pounder hops out with the Striker, and the chaingunner keeps firing.

-Heavy armors= Try to avoid 'em. Experienced crews can kill 'em, but it's usually not worth your time or effort. All skill being equal, they'll win.

Final notes about repairs during battle, the jammers and all that crud are to protect from vehicles during repairs. For instance....

Your Marauder is at 1/3 life and a lightning is hot after you (you have no safe base to go to). Zig-Zag as necessary and quickly find a hill. Crest the hill and turn 90degrees hard right and stop. The driver bails and begins repairs on the vehicle, the passenger hops out and readies a jammer. The ground pounder can stay in his gunner spot or hop out to use AV. When the lightning crests the hill the passenger hits him with a jammer, the driver maintains his repairs and the ground pounder does his thing. If the lightning manages to escape the ground pound then either A. Have the ground pounder hop out and crest the hill to striker him or B. Finish repairs and hunt him down.

If above scenario occurs vs. heavy armor repeat above minus the 90degree turn. Keep the approaching vehicle at your 6. You didn't turn so the heavy armor won't crush your passenger when he hops out. With the ground pounder at work, he'll have to maintain distance from the passenger's jammers. If he puts distance from you and maintains line of sight.... hop in the vehicle and flee the opposite direction before the jammer wears off. If he puts distance from you and loses line of sight over hill, finish repairs and then give chase or make a getaway.

If you have anything to add, feel free. Comments are welcome.
Old 2006-02-21, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Jimmik24
Private

Yikes! Maybe the reason I do so poorly is because I just drive and run over stuff!
Old 2006-02-21, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Quite a writeup lol - good work and some nice pointers.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-02-22, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Dang! Nice! Definately compile that into a guide and host it... my guide started out as something like that, I added pictures / examples, and people went nuts over it. Get that hosted somewhere or sticked on a TR forum... very thorough, you'll do your faction good to have them read that, the Marauder is a tough and versatile little beast that often gets used badly (I know I sure have), would be a real asset to the TR if more drivers that.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2006-02-22, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Boomer
First Sergeant

Whoa! Were allowed to write guides!? Hmm. When I get home, i'll post a few of mine : )

Nice Write Up
Old 2006-02-22, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Sure why not? If it's not in the rules its allowed

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-02-22, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

[QUOTE=Hamma] Quite a writeup lol - good work and some nice pointers.[/QUOTE
Old 2006-02-22, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Dude how long did that take you? O.o

Dang I should put mine up

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO PLANETSIDE

-Get a new computer
-Get a faster internet

wish i followed thse rule.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2006-02-24, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
WildEagle
Lieutenant Colonel

can i Marauder with you, please?!?!?! that shit was live. I wanna gun too, I have never really met any1 that can actually Command like that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion