im absolutely New... pls give me some advice - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If cows could fight back, would you still eat bacon?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2006-03-16, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
matapalo
Private

im absolutely New... pls give me some advice

hi there,

i just bought planetside at amazon - just the starting game without aftershock...

now i got some questions to the game itself...

does is matter that i dont have Aftershock?

are there still enough players ingame?

is it right that there are a lot if cheaters in planetside? - i really hope not so... -

wich server is the most full server that its worth to play there...?

any other tipps for me when im starting planetside...?

thanks a lot

[edit]

what is the common pool and how to join it?

Last edited by matapalo; 2006-03-16 at 05:06 AM.
Old 2006-03-16, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Normal PlanetSide does not include the Core Combat expansion which means you cannot go into the Caverns or use BFR's. All the servers are pretty equal and I can't say I've seen many cheaters..

Common Pool is not an empire - the weapons for Common Pool are shared among all 3 empires.

Check around the forums for answers to some of your other questions - we have been answering them alot lately.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-03-16, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by matapalo
what is the common pool and how to join it?
That is classic

My advice, don't rely too heavily on people you don't know's advice.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2006-03-16, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

As a side note, you will get the core combat expansion FREE when they release Fodderside. Everyone with a paid subscription does if they don't already.
Old 2006-03-16, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I didn't know that.good thing all this time i've played i haven't got core combat.I'd rather get free than waste 10 bucks on something besides a subscription.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2006-03-21, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Welcome to the coolest fucking game you will EVER play man.

Server population isn't really where it used to be, but you will always find a fight upon login. Lately theres usually only one or two continents lit up at a time, as opposed to 4-6 like before.

Yeah cheaters are more or less non existant. Once in a blue moon.

As far as tips go for your first days. They changed it now so if your character is less than 7 days old you can forget certifications and relearn new ones as much and as often as you want. Take them up on that!!! Try out every vehicle, every gun type, every support cert. All of them! After your character is 7 days old, you can only forget one certification every 6 hours (previously 24 but it was changed to 6 in a recent patch) Regardless, let's say I want to change my character from an advanced hacking, Combat engineering cloaker to a heavy assault toting rexo wearing shock trooper, it would take me upwards of 2 days to forget all my cloaking related certs. Sorry I'm starting to ramble, bottom line here: Try out EVERY SINGLE certification in your first 7 days

Let me say that again: Try out EVERY SINGLE certification in your first 7 days Oh one more thing.. Try out EVERY SINGLE certification in your first 7 days Get it? =P

Also, implants. At BR 6, 12, and 18 you get an implant slot instead of a cert point. Get Enhanced targetting first, it lets you see your enemies health and armour, before you get this implant you'll often be asking "damn did I even hurt him" every time you die. Enhanced Targetting will give you a lot of confidence in any given fight. For your second implant, get darklight vision, so you can see cloakers. Your 3rd implant, really up to you.

As far as combat goes:

Infantry: Try to remember this in each scenario you find yourself in: "What am I certified to be doing here?" If you are in a crowded close quarters clusterfuck and you are certified with rexo and heavy assault, then by all means get your balls to the walls and charge your ass in. Likewise if you are in the same battle and you are certified with Anti Vehicular and only Medium assault, hang back and use your rifle to finish off the enemies that break through your line, only charge forward when an enemy MAX unit appears and your teammates will need you to blow his ass up with your AV weapons. Remember: "What am I certified to be doing here?"

Vehicular combat: Driving: If you are driving a tank or whatever, it's tempting to charge towards enemy lines since there isn't much else to do as the driver. Resist this urge, after you gun tanks and stuff a couple times, you'll begin to realize how far away you can still accumulate kills from. So when driving a vehicle with gunners, keep your distance and cover the infantry around you. Especially if you are TR or NC, big slow tanks with lots of armour, WWI style. VS's magriders are a different story.

Vehicular Combat: Gunning: Yeah unless you are a VS with that freaking rail gun, you'll probably be dealing with an arc shooting tank cannon, or a machine gun. They take alot of practice to get just right. The tank cannons are easy to see what's going on, just compensate for the arc. Now, when using machine guns against a moving target, always lead your shots a little bit. Make them run into your bullets. If you shoot right at them, you will usually miss. (against a moving target)

Support: Eventually you'll get medic and or engineer, just so you can repair and heal yourself. Simple deal here, be a team player, patch up friendlies who aren't in the position to do so themselves. And if you see a MAX unit macroing "We need repairs!" Freaking repair him! MAXes are your friends =) With the addition of the support experience system a while ago, you might even get a little experience after helping someone out.

This post is getting long. Get back to me with any more questions

Last edited by Jeffey; 2006-03-21 at 01:47 AM.
Old 2006-03-21, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

Very helpful post, so let me get this right, Try out EVERY SINGLE certification in your first 7 days?

Anyways, very good post. I can't see many competent newbie***8217;s having any questions after that.
Violated by ChiaHamma
Old 2006-03-21, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Aye, when I first started Planetside I came here and asked for some advice too, someone very graciously gave me a nice big post like that to help me get going. Spread the love!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion