News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 56 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: in Smed we trust.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-27, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vancha
Colonel

Re: PlanetSide 2 Region Lock (SOE is working on Resolution)

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
you dont grasp the situation if you think Pro7 cares whether SOE loses current OR future subscribers.
SOE isn't the only one that stands to lose out on region locking. Given a choice between profit (region locked) or bigger profit (non-region locked), why would Pro7 choose the former?
Old 2012-03-28, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
SOE isn't the only one that stands to lose out on region locking. Given a choice between profit (region locked) or bigger profit (non-region locked), why would Pro7 choose the former?
Because there's a lot more to this deal than they tell us. Pro7 makes their money on region locking and/or monopolizing. If they can't monopolize, they wouldn't think of joining forces with SoE.
Old 2012-03-28, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Because there's a lot more to this deal than they tell us. Pro7 makes their money on region locking and/or monopolizing. If they can't monopolize, they wouldn't think of joining forces with SoE.
You didn't actually reply to what I said. Yes, they'd make money on region locking and/or monopolizing, but they'd make more money if they didn't.

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Play this out and tell me this isnt possible.

SOE/Pro7 dont change region locks. SOE-PS2-EQ falter. SOE is ripe for Pro7 to swoop in and acquire SOE in corporate take-over. Just like that, over one tiny announcement
"US/EU region locks all their games". You've just acquired a gaming company and all its resources for yourself with little or no effort. Smack it, flip it, rub it down. Good game. Game over man! Game OVER!!
Firstly, SOE have dropped euro partners before. I imagine they paid SOE as well.

Secondly, I'm not sure Pro7 is of a size to even consider purchasing SOE, especially as it's part of SCE, which is part of Sony.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-03-28 at 04:33 AM.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
They will make money and monopolize regardless of a region lock...
Old 2012-03-28, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Skittles
Sergeant

But, they've(Pro7) already PUT up the money. That money is spent (by SOE). Gone, fini, used, spent, whatever, its no longer possible for SOE to just "hand it back" and say... "whoops sorry, our mistake"

They may or may NOT make their money if the region lock is not in place. We only have the absolute barest of information about what the deal entailed. For all we know Pro7 was given all sorts of interesting money making opportunities with the PS2 title that their accountants are saying, "Hell yeah we'll make money and then some, lock those regions up".

The lack of ANY informational follow-up is teetering the seesaw more towards region locking is going to occur more then region locking is not. You can be damn sure that Pro7 is looking out more for their stockholders then they are about SOE's reputation in the gaming industry and their inability to create favorable deals for themselves and their gaming community.

Play this out and tell me this isnt possible.

SOE/Pro7 dont change region locks. SOE-PS2-EQ falter. SOE is ripe for Pro7 to swoop in and acquire SOE in corporate take-over. Just like that, over one tiny announcement
"US/EU region locks all their games". You've just acquired a gaming company and all its resources for yourself with little or no effort. Smack it, flip it, rub it down. Good game. Game over man! Game OVER!!
Old 2012-05-13, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

Hasn't this issue been resolved? I pretty sure I've read in another thread that SOE has announced that a deal has been made to allow North Americans, and Europeans to play on each other's servers. That there will be no region locking. (Other than China)

Last edited by Vanir; 2012-05-13 at 09:10 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vanir View Post
Hasn't this issue been resolved? I pretty sure I've read in another thread that SOE has announced that a deal has been made to allow North Americans, and Europeans to play on each other's servers. That there will be no region locking. (Other than China)
Yes. Note the time/date of the posts.

The two posts from today mainly seem to be further concerns about the quality of Alaplaya.
Old 2012-05-13, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
RSphil
Contributor
Major

the Region lock dosent bother me as i always play on EU servers anyway.

the thing that bothers me is the fact we have to join a company i have never heard of and know nothing about. the fact i have to use these guys for PS2 and move station cash to them.
not that i dont trust them ( which i dont lol, well not untill know who the hell they are and some background ) but i have had bad experiences with moving stuff from one place to another for games and getting a very bad service.

lest hope SOE dont screw things up like alot of other companies seem to be doing these days
Old 2012-05-14, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Shogun
Contributor
General

will ps2 be hosted by alaplaya?

i thought pro7games would be the new host! right now it´s only a german site ( www.prosiebengames.de ) but it is hosting around 100 games. in comparison to 10 games alaplaya is hosting.

maybe our contact from pro7 should clarify this.

i really hope alaplaya will have nothing to do with planetside 2. their track record is the worst i can imagine. and the lack of answers in their forums, to polite concerned questions, confirms the bad taste.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-14, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
will ps2 be hosted by alaplaya?

i really hope alaplaya will have nothing to do with planetside 2. their track record is the worst i can imagine. and the lack of answers in their forums, to polite concerned questions, confirms the bad taste.
Sorry Shogun, the Alaplaya site has the links for PS2 and all the other SOE games they're taking over. Follow this link to the SOE forums at the top of the list and weep:

http://en.alaplaya.net/forum/
Old 2012-05-14, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Katanauk
Corporal

Misc Info

Thought this was dead . . . but it's been revived and I don't wanna make a new thread whilst it's potentially still alive . . .

I live in Australia so . . . does this affect me in anyway? Or would I just continue business as usual through SOE, as I'll be using US servers.

http://en.alaplaya.net/forum/general...q-t492961.html

If you can't be bothered to click the link . . . it's the European publisher for Planetside 2 saying whether youre in Europe or US, you'll be able to play where you like . . .

Doesn't talk about us in the arse end of the world though
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-14, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Katanauk View Post
Thought this was dead . . . but it's been revived and I don't wanna make a new thread whilst it's potentially still alive . . .

I live in Australia so . . . does this affect me in anyway? Or would I just continue business as usual through SOE, as I'll be using US servers.

http://en.alaplaya.net/forum/general...q-t492961.html

If you can't be bothered to click the link . . . it's the European publisher for Planetside 2 saying whether youre in Europe or US, you'll be able to play where you like . . .

Doesn't talk about us in the arse end of the world though
ProSieben.Sat.1 does not cover the Australian region, so you'll will sign up and use the same client/purchasing methods as North America.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vancha
Colonel

Alaplaya is owned by ProSieben, it's their gaming branch.

Now maybe they're going to rebrand it to pro7games, which wouldn't be a bad idea considering Alaplaya's reputation.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Katanauk View Post
You'll have to play with the Chinese I'm afraid.

No, you should have no problem signing up with SOE and playing on US servers.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-14 at 11:49 AM.
Old 2012-05-14, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Thanks for the info RadarX. You rock.

I still don't get why everyone can't just do that. Seems like a bad idea.

Hopefully it ends up working out okay. Fingers crossed for y'all across the pond.
Old 2012-05-14, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Well we are all ready losing out on the station cash deals..........

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion