Grid over map for coordination - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I got your thumb!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-21, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ZoranZaxos
Private

Lightbulb Grid over map for coordination

What this game really needs is a grid map with numbers/letters. This would make coordination much easier considering the size of the maps. I think Battlefield 2 had a grid overlay for each map and Red Orchestra 2 also uses a grid map system. You have no idea what you're missing not having a coordinate map.
Old 2012-08-22, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
sgtbjack
Corporal

Re: Grid over map for coordination

Originally Posted by ZoranZaxos View Post
What this game really needs is a grid map with numbers/letters. This would make coordination much easier considering the size of the maps. I think Battlefield 2 had a grid overlay for each map and Red Orchestra 2 also uses a grid map system. You have no idea what you're missing not having a coordinate map.
Yes, I would like to be able to give a grid coordinate
Old 2012-08-22, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Toppopia
Major

Yes we need a grid map. Because COD has it even though its useless. BF3 didn't have it even though it should. So planetside 2 should have it because of how big the map is. Imagine trying to co-ordinate people. If we have a grid we say "Tank Column, move to B-6 (or some better co-ordinate system)" With no grid its like "Tank Column, move over there... no not there... near that tree.. not that tree!! Oh you all died.."
Old 2012-08-22, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Oridus
Private

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
....... If we have a grid we say "Tank Column, move to B-6 (or some better co-ordinate system)" With no grid its like "Tank Column, move over there... no not there... near that tree.. not that tree!! Oh you all died.."
Yeah - better than that example otherwise i'll get confused when i'm playing battleships and Planetside 2 at the same time. ^_^ teehee
Old 2012-08-22, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gonzo
Private

How about you just set a waypoint? Or create a mission with the location?

Frankly, a grid for 64 square km is gonna be awkward. Using letter + number will limit you to too large a square, unless you stack letters, which is never fun: "I need the tanks at ZZW-112!" So it would have to be two numbers marked with N/S and E/W to differentiate, which might not be too bad. 0-0 would be at the approx center of the continent.

And the map is already basically broken up by the hexes, and landmarks like outposts and towers are everywhere. I just think that two things could happen with a grid:
-Large grid squares means there aren't too many and it is fairly easy to navigate, but the coords are so vague it is useless.
-Small grid squares means there are way too many to use effeciently and only really hardcore players bother with the hassle of keeping track of it.
Old 2012-08-22, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
avpmaster
Private

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
How about you just set a waypoint? Or create a mission with the location?

Frankly, a grid for 64 square km is gonna be awkward. Using letter + number will limit you to too large a square, unless you stack letters, which is never fun: "I need the tanks at ZZW-112!" So it would have to be two numbers marked with N/S and E/W to differentiate, which might not be too bad. 0-0 would be at the approx center of the continent.

And the map is already basically broken up by the hexes, and landmarks like outposts and towers are everywhere. I just think that two things could happen with a grid:
-Large grid squares means there aren't too many and it is fairly easy to navigate, but the coords are so vague it is useless.
-Small grid squares means there are way too many to use effeciently and only really hardcore players bother with the hassle of keeping track of it.
How about a toggle system, between a hex grid and map grid on the minimap? Locations might be confused, but people could emphasize "Tanks on B-2, Hex" or "TR are building up at F-6, Map".
Old 2012-08-22, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
brighthand
Corporal

I want this idea implemented, and I rated this thread 5 stars so that it hopefully gets more visibility; the rest of you should do the same.
Old 2012-08-22, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

There will be a grid.
Old 2012-08-24, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Anabuki
Private

In BF2:PR there is a grid system on the map, and each grid-square is further divided into 9 squares resembling a keypad with numbers 1 to 9. This allowed for more precise locations to be described, like.. B6 keypad 6 for the center-right of the grid B6
Old 2012-08-24, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

PS2 should have one because PS1 did.
Old 2012-09-22, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
AceofSpadesX
Private

Originally Posted by Anabuki View Post
In BF2:PR there is a grid system on the map, and each grid-square is further divided into 9 squares resembling a keypad with numbers 1 to 9. This allowed for more precise locations to be described, like.. B6 keypad 6 for the center-right of the grid B6
Using the keypad to be more specific about location is a great idea! However, I would prefer "B6-6" over "B6 keypad 6" just sayin'.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault