Best game I've ever played...? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got ammo?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-22, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Re: Best game I've ever played...?

Originally Posted by dethred View Post
Not to ruin the festival of negativity, but after spending a quick 7 hours of my life without even realizing it had passed, I have come to the conclusion that this is probably the best game I've ever played.

Finally had the chance to run with an outfit, and then with some random squads, and the foundation of the game is just astonishing. The sheer scale of the world, the massive battles, and diversity of combat is unlike any game I've ever played.

I love BF2 and BF2142 for their large maps and large scale combat, but this game puts them to shame. Our side was trapped in our base, and after numerous attempts to break out by massive flights of Galaxies, everyone get in a ground vehicle and formed the largest FPS fighting force I'd ever seen. Must have been at least a few hundred people moving together capping bases.

Within about 30 minutes we had retaken almost half the continent. A little later, our entire squad got on the ATVs and flanked a hilltop base that had been under attack for the better part of an hour. We were able set down a base and allow our forces and a few Sunderers to park in the main entrance for spawning. The indoor battle lasted another 30 minutes and we finally took the base.

I've never played a video game quite like it. The lighting effects and the sun light coupled with the other visuals make it extremely engrossing! We even had to turn off our headlights on the ATVs during our attack to avoid being detected. I've never seen anything like it.

I agree that there are some rough edges, but the base game is second to none. You have battles inside the bases which fulfill any desire for a close-range battle, then the outside stuff to satisfy open-world combat.

My only concerns:

Resources seem to be irrelevant (and thus holding territory is almost as irrelevant).

Some players require probably 30+ bullets to kill, which under any circumstances is ridiculous.

The interface for the squad menus, player/leader board, etc are all incomplete.

There needs to be a way of spawning on the squad leader. This will keep the squad together as a unit, and worked extremely well in other games in the past.

Either way, I almost feel like I stole something from the devs for playing something so great for 7 hours without yet paying for it.
I (and about a dozen of my friends who played BF for 10 years) are enjoying the beta as well with hopes of more meta game, team play elements, and personalization elements being added to the game as it contiues it's developement to lauch and beyond.

I understand the PSVets gripes after going though a similar situation with BF3....however the BF franchise had a game released about every 2 years instead of 9 years. Had we gone from BF1942 to BF3 with a 9 year pause in the middle and DICE not blatantly lying to us about BF3 "evolving" when it obviously did not, perhaps things would have been different.

PSVets, I hope you realize not everyone coming into PS2 is a COD/BF casual player, some of us have been gaming for 3 decades or more and we know a great game when we see one. I do hope the SOE team continues to develope and add tried and true stuff that was successful in PS, make it better and also add new interesting stuff to keep PS2 moving forward. On it's own legs PS2 beta is shaping up to be a heck of allot of fun and a unique expirience each time I play.

I guess time will tell if the PS1 vets will be satisfied or not so why not give it the time some of you are asking for to allow SOE to get it right.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2012-10-22 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2012-10-22, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

This is a damn fun game. There is no doubt about that in my mind

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-10-22, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

This is truly a ridiculously fun game, and it's only getting better. My Saturdays just melt away to it.
Old 2012-10-23, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
PClownPosse
Private

All in all, I'm enjoying myself greatly. I usually don't visit game forums much, unless it's to discuss a game I enjoy.

Considering the realm of "popular" FPS games, I can understand some of their design decisions. I heavily played the BF, MoH and CoD series and enjoyed them all. However, in the back of mind, I secretely wished those games were more like the PS1 that I knew and loved.

But then it occurred to me: those games were ultra successful because of the platforms they catered to, like playstation and Xbox. PC games are kind of in the realm of the older, more stodgy crowds and for the most part, we were use to the type of learning curve and customization ability PS1 presented.

In any regards, I get the sense these things have been discussed and beat to death before, so you're going to have to excuse my naviaty as I came here blind, with a ten year gap between the planetsides and I'm only one week into my new experience.

I'm sure they'll tweak things as it progresses, but I think first impressions are very important, especially to the more fickle younger people out there that my try this out. So far, aside from a few frustrating elements I've already mentioned, the impression that I get is good.

Last edited by PClownPosse; 2012-10-23 at 11:38 AM.
Old 2012-10-23, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
The Loverator
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: Best game I've ever played...?

Originally Posted by dethred View Post
Not to ruin the festival of negativity, but after spending a quick 7 hours of my life without even realizing it had passed, I have come to the conclusion that this is probably the best game I've ever played.
W~ell said... ...

I too have realized that this Game can give me as much Fun as i only had with the Multiplayer of Halo 1 ( yes, "One" ) in 2008 or such, or even more...

I have realized that - of Course - Planetside 2 is still F~AR from perfect, since there are many, annoying, little Bugs - and sometimes you have a Streak of bad Luck - or many People on "your" Side successfully deny to think and you all get pwned bad somewhere...

But all in One, i can feel the "old Epicness" i have missed with so much Pain for the last Years. The "Fun" a Game can hold.

I'm really glad that Planetside 2 exists - even tough my actual PC is V~ERY insufficient to play it properly.

I'm looking forward to the Release - to many, beautiful Continents - to nice Players, genius Guilds - and much Fun for everyone who decides to invest Time into this Game.

greetings, LV.
Old 2012-10-23, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wolfgang Mozart
Private

Despite the game not being polished I'm having a blast with it. It's the kinda game where I make time to play when i shouldn't.
Old 2012-10-23, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Conq
Staff Sergeant

One of the best shooters I've ever played but the games I like don't usually do well.

R.I.P. BF2142, APB, Brink... PS2? I hope not.
Old 2012-10-21, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shenyen
Private

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Casual gamers keep games alive.
Exactly!

Planetside 1 attracted some 250k players in its best days.

With the cost of game development in recent years, a playerbase of 250k wouldn't be enough to support the game for a long time.

50% Planetside and 50% Battlefield, attracting 1-2 million players, is better than 90% Planetside and 10% Battlefield, attracting 200k (as FPS evolved over time, it is unlikely that a 100% remake of Planetside would attract a group as large as when the first part was released, because now other games (like BF3) feature stuff that was exclusive to Planetside in 2003).

Because with only 200k players - Planetside 2 won't even survive til the release of BF4.
Old 2012-10-21, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shenyen View Post
Exactly!

Planetside 1 attracted some 250k players in its best days.

With the cost of game development in recent years, a playerbase of 250k wouldn't be enough to support the game for a long time.

50% Planetside and 50% Battlefield, attracting 1-2 million players, is better than 90% Planetside and 10% Battlefield, attracting 200k (as FPS evolved over time, it is unlikely that a 100% remake of Planetside would attract a group as large as when the first part was released, because now other games (like BF3) feature stuff that was exclusive to Planetside in 2003).

Because with only 200k players - Planetside 2 won't even survive til the release of BF4.
I'm tired of hearing this excuse used. Whose to say that these guys in BF/CoD/Anygame wouldn't have liked the original PS? How many of these BF/CoD/Anygame fans ever heard of Planetside or EVER saw any advertising? We might find out soon since they're making PS1 free, but even in its current state, it will be critiqued to hell. People will find every little problem to hate it because they want to hate it.

It doesn't help that the angry PS1 Vets on the main forums constantly make threads to complain. People have just come to hate the vocal minority of angry vets and their game they love.
Old 2012-10-21, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Right now there is a mutiny in Starcraft 2, interestingly enough it is by vets who demand
that SC2 expansion HOTS be more appealing to casuals. Casual gamers keep games alive.
You can attract casuals so long as you have big battles and decent graphics. This game will have no trouble doing that, but to actually get people hooked and spend money on it means have some form of decent gameplay on top of it, this is where PS2 fails atm.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion