Third Person View: Infantry - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ever seen a Vanu Gym? Neither have they.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-04, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Beerbeer
Major

Re: Third Person View: Infantry

Originally Posted by VKX View Post
I will never understand the planet-side community fascination with this.

Stop turning corners like you're driving a car. Strafe.

No one with a brain sits on a wall edge around a corner in any other shooter game from quake to CS to ARMA, because people STRAFE past corners and you get killed from the side if you do. I'm am really rusty at FPS games and I have performance issues, yet I keep getting free kills on people that I find using this nonsense positioning.
I guess you never camped a tower in ps1? Strafe all you want, but the third person view actually negated the strategy you're talking about, because I would see you the minute you rounded the corner, while I remained hidden. It wouldn't have mattered if you strafed out from the corner or cut it close. In fact, strafing out made it easier for me to see you while remaining hidden.

Well, it wasn't always about camping corners. This, coupled with auto-run, made life so much easier if you had to hoof it over a long distance.

It doesn't matter, I just wanted to confirm it's gone and gone it is.
Old 2012-11-04, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

3rd person + jackhammer in PS1 was what made NC "easy mode".

So in short:

fuck no.

Old 2012-11-04, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
VKX
Private

Originally Posted by Beerbeer View Post
Well, it wasn't always about camping corners. This, coupled with auto-run, made life so much easier if you had to hoof it over a long distance.

Every FPS game needs the ARMA style look-around key. You hold down ALT (or whatever you bind it to of course) and it no longer moves your body but lets you look around with your head. While auto-running forward this gives the same effect of being able to monitor your surroundings on the move.

Every game should have it, and I dare you to try it before you argue with me, because it is wonderful and you WILL miss it.

Originally Posted by Beerbeer View Post
I guess you never camped a tower in ps1? Strafe all you want, but the third person view actually negated the strategy you're talking about, because I would see you the minute you rounded the corner, while I remained hidden. It wouldn't have mattered if you strafed out from the corner or cut it close. In fact, strafing out made it easier for me to see you while remaining hidden.
You can't shoot someone and be hidden behind a wall in PS1. You either see them, or you don't and there was no bullet penetration.

The trick was supposedly for the person hiding with 3rd person view on to strafe out across and PAST the target and circling the target making a movement that was close and fast so they were hard to shoot back at, but only PS1 players think they needs third person view to do that in a tower with only one stairwell, and the vast majority of people who sat on corners didn't even understand the tactic and just thought they were god's gift to wack-a-mole and took one step out and stood in front of the enemy, or just sat there and waited to shoot people in the side because the community was full of people who turned corners rather than strafing them.

I played support stealth suit for a squad and I know better than anyone. My friend would run in and kill people sitting on corners over and over again right in front of me and we'd laugh about it because all he did was strafe past it with some distance so people couldn't pop out right on him like we had done in CS/UT since grade school and they had no advantage at all. It was just 1v1 at point blank with me to heal him up. Then HE would sit on the exact same corner and shoot the same PS1 corner humpers in the side or scare them, because they would turn around the corner rather than strafe it. I watched this happen over and over again like clock work.

Last edited by VKX; 2012-11-04 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2012-11-04, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
It's not needed, really. Just send a teammate around the corner first, if he dies then there's enemy. Easy.
why i love leading a squad "hey Miir go check that room for me" (boom boom boom dead Miir) "well i guess there are tango's in there" (chuck a nade in) Miir:" why didn't you use a nade in the first place!" Me:" i didn't want to waste it!"

Last edited by Fear The Amish; 2012-11-04 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-11-04, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dagron
Captain

I wish people chucked more Miirs into a room before they FF nade me... happens at least once every day. -_-
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion