Future FPS Mechanic Development - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Did you know?: PSU is USP backwards
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-19, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Re: Future FPS Mechanic Development

Yeah, I've heard people mention that. The low magnification scope sway really struck me after playing other FPS's for a little bit, such as Blacklight, and noticing how much more enjoyable and controllable the shooting felt. Gameplay is much more consistent, and manages to be more friendly to new players, while still allowing more skilled, experienced players to have the edge strictly because of reflex and knowledge of the game. Needless to say I mention the sight sway to Planetside players in-game and they accuse me of wanting a COD clone. I just think the devs should try to make the gunplay moreso exciting and sturdy, instead of frustrating and unpredictable.
Old 2013-01-19, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
I think the "shooter mechanics" are one of the high points of the game.

Its possible we are talking about different things because you were rather vague though.

I think the only thing that needs a change is the flinch code.
^ this

Gameplay feels really crisp, on the whole, but the flinch thing is a bit overdone, as is the screen shake you get when you have shells landing nearby.
Old 2013-01-19, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Kerrec View Post
Palerion,

I laughed when I read your post. Not because what you said was dumb, wrong or anything like that. I simply laughed because there's another thread going on where people want to INCREASE time to kill purposely to make it harder to get kills. To them, that would increase their enjoyment.

Edit: The other thread:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=52077
Beat me to it - I was going to point that out myself!

In that thread we have people complaing that they die too quickly because the TTK is too short.

In this thread we have people complaining that they can't kill quickly enough because the guns are too difficult to handle.

I wonder whether the same names turn up in both threads....
Old 2013-01-19, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
^ this

Gameplay feels really crisp, on the whole, but the flinch thing is a bit overdone, as is the screen shake you get when you have shells landing nearby.
Well, as I post things like this, I develop, research more, play and experiment more, and learn more. In doing so, I have fouund that the main issue is the flinching, screen shake, and low magnification sight sway when turning/tracking enemies. Now, would you also agree that this low magnification sight sway is a bit of an un-needed, annoying, and maybe even degressive mechanic? Because honestly, I can't say I've ever seen a game do it. Even Battlefield 3 doesn't do it. Most likely because a 1x magnification sight is made to be smooth, precise, and quick in close and medium range combat and target acquisition. It seems that this sight sway should only occur on scopes of 2, maybe even 4x magnification or higher.

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-01-19 at 07:07 PM.
Old 2013-01-19, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mietz View Post
Then you have not understood my argument nor do you get what I said and are not actually interested in knowing, just repeating yourself and declaring victory.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Lol. Ignore me all you want. I don't write in forums to convince YOU. I write in forums to convince everyone.

Your argument is: A bullet should not come out of the barrel of a gun in any other direction than where it is pointed at. The player should always be able to see exactly where the bullet will go. If the bullet is not going to hit what he is aiming at, he should see that and be able to correct for it.

THAT is your argument, based on the real world "realism". I do get exactly what you want. Doesn't mean I agree.

This is a GAME. To get what you want, someone would have to invent a force feedback mouse that moves your cursor and you have to struggle against the mouse to get it back on target. That is the only way to have it both ways. But since such a thing doesn't exist, we have Cone of Fire.

The cursor jumping around 600 times a second would just make people sick. A flat reduction in Cone of Fire across the board would make powerful close range weapons with high ROF deadly even at long ranges, and would make weapons that are supposed to be deadly at long ranges, obsolete.
Old 2013-01-19, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
Beat me to it - I was going to point that out myself!

In that thread we have people complaing that they die too quickly because the TTK is too short.

In this thread we have people complaining that they can't kill quickly enough because the guns are too difficult to handle.

I wonder whether the same names turn up in both threads....
Of course they do, if you're talking about my name. I said they would have to make weapons easier to use if they increase time to kill.

1. I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out that the unfriendly and difficult aiming in this game is a turn off to new players.

2. The main issue I am pointing out is that low magnification sights should not sway as you move them and that the screen should not shake all over the place every time an explosion hits near you or a bullet hits you.

If these things were fixed, shooting would be much easier and much more fun.

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-01-19 at 07:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion