Activity In General? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When you fill your ant
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-02, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ArizonaTea
Private

Activity In General?

Hey guys, just curious how active PS2 is? I remember i had a blast playing the original when i was younger, i thought it was the best game ever created lol does the game still feel like PlanetSide? Does it really deliver? Also how active are the servers? im sure some are more active then others i would assume but im just curious on an overall activity? Will i find myself running around for hrs with no one in site or will i really enjoy the game. Im in the process of downloading now. I hope i get some positive feedback from you guys. Im really looking forward to playing and finding a good group of guys to play with. (Imperial Reach) has caught my eyes so far haha. anyways im just blabbering now so ill stop haha. feedback would be highly apreciated. thx ahead of time.

ps. How is the sniping? thats kinda my thing so very curious on that as well.
Old 2013-02-02, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Activity In General?

It is fairly active, I have heard that some US servers are dead as a doornail so I would do your research before picking one. Short answer for feeling like Planetside? No, it lacks a lot of what Planetside had and seems to have just gone and upped the scale of things at the price of things to do. Sniping is interesting, there is projectile travel time and drop so you can't just pick up a rifle and be a hitscan hero, it takes some time to master.

Old 2013-02-02, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by ArizonaTea View Post
Hey guys, just curious how active PS2 is? I remember i had a blast playing the original when i was younger, i thought it was the best game ever created lol does the game still feel like PlanetSide? Does it really deliver? Also how active are the servers? im sure some are more active then others i would assume but im just curious on an overall activity? Will i find myself running around for hrs with no one in site or will i really enjoy the game. Im in the process of downloading now. I hope i get some positive feedback from you guys. Im really looking forward to playing and finding a good group of guys to play with. (Imperial Reach) has caught my eyes so far haha. anyways im just blabbering now so ill stop haha. feedback would be highly apreciated. thx ahead of time.

PS2 is a pretty active game. Fights seem to be spread out too much though, so I haven't seen massive battles since I started playing (I'm on Mattherson/Helios though)

As for whether it feels like Planetside... that's one of the more controversial debates going on... in my opinion, AT THIS TIME, it's only Planetside in name/colors. You have the three empires, vehicle/weapon names transferred over for the most part, and the continent names from PS1 are being re-used (bar Indar). However, it's currently lacking the depth and complexity that PS1 offered. It's really a persistent BF3. In fact, the whole sci-fi feeling is kind of weak... VS is pretty good, but TR/NC stuff feels like generic re-skinned modern weapons and vehicles. Overall whether you enjoy the game or not is up to you... I play it, but it's kind of dull as we wait for more content to be added to the game. I feel that PS2 has the potential to be better than the first, but it will take time.

As for sniping, if you played BF3, it's the same. You have your bullet ballistics, 3 seconds of holding your breath before running out of oxygen... think that about covers it. Oh, and you get to cloak. VS/TR get semi-auto snipers to start and NC gets the Bolt Driver, obviously a bolt action.
Old 2013-02-02, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArizonaTea View Post

Thats a hard one to answer.
Currently pops are spread out unevenly across servers and some of them might be called "dead" if not at the very least slowly dying.
It also depends heavily on time of day.

The population fluctuates massively depending on time of day and day of the week.
Most active seems "prime time" of your timezone and weekends while weekdays can drop to low population.

If you plan on playing, now is a good time as the new patch went live and a lot of people will be playing and trying to get back in the game.

As for if it "delivers" on being a sequel to PS1? I wouldn't know, but many PS1 veterans say no.

Sniping:
From my perspective good mechanically but limited by the games technology.
PS2 adjusts render-distance for infantry dynamically based on how many people are in your vicinity (to make the game even remotely playable), this means that the render-distance shrinks if there is a big fight.
This leads to the problem that long-range classes are immediately made obsolete and useless once a larger fight is going on as the targets wont render at your optimal engagement distance.

Last edited by Mietz; 2013-02-02 at 09:45 PM.
Old 2013-02-02, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ArizonaTea
Private

Intresting. Thank you guys for the feedback tho, Guess all i can do is install and see for my self huh haha.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion