Specialty Squads - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside Next was our idea.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > Server Forums > Connery (US West)

Old 2013-02-28, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Specialty Squads

We all probably have a Infantry Division, Armor Battalion, Air-Force and such to cater to player interest because let's be real, some players prefer and play only that one aspect in the game. But we run into problems of logistics like keeping your specialty squads up to strength because of player interest.

Sometimes your tankers want to run around as Infantry, sometimes Infantry wan't to fly a Liberator, fluctuating interests, IRL situations, attendance in general leaves one specialty squad under strength and it hurts the Outfit during a ops so here is my question: What does everyone out there do to adapt and keep the specialty squads up to strength beyond simply just zerging and asking players who have no interest, no practice, and no skill in serving in a Specialty Squad they have no love for? I.E. "Everyone redeploy to the Tower and pull Tanks" (Obviously a command issue but a good example I'm sure many peeps can agree with)

The Outfit I serve has answered this problem with a "Indoctrination Thursday" event where ops time for that night is spent training the Outfit as a whole in the doctrines of whatever specialty squad is highlighted that night. By doing this we keep everyone in the Outfit aware of the specialty squads and what each one does, kind of a open house recruitment for that specialty squad.

"Indoctrination Thursday" has worked pretty well in keeping our specialty squads up to strength but I wonder if we can do better so the TLDR is What does your outfit do to keep it's specialty squads up to strength?

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-02-28 at 10:09 PM.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Specialty Squads

We have multiple divisions with many dedicated members. Currently Hammer is our infantry division and is the bulk of our force. Our other divisions are all there to support the primary force. Our Armor typically has 2-4 squads. Air Wing 2-4 squads. Our Shadow Team is our spec ops, they operate behind enemy lines prep'ing bases, setting up sniper nests and just generally wreaking havok on the enemy. They keep the enemy's front looking over their shoulder so that the primary force is not butting against a resistance that is soley focused on them. Lastly, our Rapid Response Team is on call, fast moving and drops whatever they are doing as we task them to put out fires (resecures), create distractions and often to investigate or stymie another front. Sometimes this takes them off of the primary continent. All of our divisions remain at strength because we have a large playerbase and each division has a training course amongst the 7 training courses we conduct each week. Unlike most outfits, we do not call on our members to all simply pull one type of unit at a time (though we do do MAX Crash Teams). We offer all of our divisions full time and our members are welcome to switch between them at will.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-03-02, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Our Shadow Team is our spec ops, they operate behind enemy lines prep'ing bases, setting up sniper nests and just generally wreaking havok on the enemy. They keep the enemy's front looking over their shoulder so that the primary force is not butting against a resistance that is soley focused on them.
I don't think that one person sneaking around The Crown, momentarily annoying people, for hours on end constitutes, "wreaking havoc". Might want to beef up that team a little, but honestly nothing really matters until the tanks, air, and massive numbers roll in. Such is the design of the game...

Props for being somewhat annoying though, Shadow Team.
Old 2013-03-03, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Nah, credit where credit is due, 666 Devil Dogs Ghost Team is probably there most skilled unit, speaking from TXR perspective of fighting the Devil Dogs there Ghost team easily is there most skilled unit.

I've had many a situation where 12+ 666 Infiltrators just de-stealth around me and rip me a new one, very demoralizing lol.
Old 2013-03-03, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Meh, when the devil dogs hit it looks just like the zerg. When GOLD hits, you know you got an interesting fight on your hands.

As for how TTA works... people do what they like!

I know, ironic. The thoroughly regimented outfit is playing NC and the we-do-what-we-like alliance is playing TR.
Old 2013-03-07, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ghstmarauder
Sergeant

Misc Info

We don't seem to run specialty squads, just run whats needed at a given time. If we're in an armor column and need to get out to take a base, we'll do it.

Always fun fighting against you MERCs

Old 2013-03-07, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
snafus
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ghstmarauder View Post
We don't seem to run specialty squads, just run whats needed at a given time. If we're in an armor column and need to get out to take a base, we'll do it.

Always fun fighting against you MERCs
Generally the same for us. I think I'm the only loser who wont leave the safety of his mossy lol.

Old 2013-03-08, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by snafus View Post
Generally the same for us. I think I'm the only loser who wont leave the safety of his mossy lol.
Mossy? Safe? After all the AA maxes, lockon rockets, skyguards, and walkers, safe is the last word I'd use to describe staying in a mossy.
Old 2013-03-10, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
snafus
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Neutral Calypso View Post
Mossy? Safe? After all the AA maxes, lockon rockets, skyguards, and walkers, safe is the last word I'd use to describe staying in a mossy.
Sure it is just have to duck and weave from time to time.

Old 2013-03-12, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
RovingDeath
Sergeant

The Mossy is an extremely safe place with SNAFU flying, that guy never gets shot down
Old 2013-03-13, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Temple
Private

Meh, when the devil dogs hit it looks just like the zerg. When GOLD hits, you know you got an interesting fight on your hands.
We like to bring the pain - Much assurance that it will continue
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > Server Forums > Connery (US West)