Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2013-04-11, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

EA worst company in America, second year in a row

So EA has managed to win the golden poo award for the second time.
http://consumerist.com/2013/04/09/ea...year-in-a-row/

Now, first off. I'm not surprised by the results. I'm more surprised about them actually making the same poll after what happened last time.

I really do think that if they [Consumerist] ever want this poll to have any real meaning, besides serving as hit bait, they need to make a poll for the video games industry and one for the rest, at least. It is clearly being dominated by disgruntled gamers, which makes sense since it's an online poll.
Of course one could argue that it doesn't matter anyway and that the poll itself is pointless, even if it wasn't horribly skewed.

Is EA the worst company in the US? No, of course not. IMO, anyone who really believes that has some issues with the world outside of playing video games.
Do I think it is a bad video game company? Yes, yes I do. EA just loves being anti-consumer and they also have problems with their business strategy [Releasing video games before they are ready simply to bank in on early sales to keep your stocks afloat is a bad idea, EA. Putting three payment types into a game. A very bad idea.] But there are companies that are doing worse than EA, business wise and argueably consumer wise. Like Nintendo [Not US based, but very anti-consumer also not doing well], Microsoft [Obviously doing well but very anti-consumer oriented] or THQ [Business wise].
So is EA really the worst company from an objective standpoint, or are they simply the most hated? [We all know how rational gamers are when we hate something] Granted, EA has had a negative impact on the industry as it has promoted certain bad business practices.

Personally I just think it says something about us gamers in general, that too many of us have prioritization issues. Video games aren't important enough to justify giving a golden poo to a video game company, but of course gamers are going to do that since playing video games, and dealing with the industry around that, is one of the things that we are interested in.
I know this shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but it's really disheartening for me to see this again. It just makes me *sigh* as I would love to think of my fellow gamers as an enlightened group of individuals.

It remains to be seen if EA's new CEO will turn the ship around enough before they do a hat trick next year.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-04-12 at 04:08 AM.
Old 2013-04-11, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Assist
Contributor
Major

Re: EA worst company in America, second year in a row

I'm shocked. My world has been turned upside down!

But I do agree with you, the poll has no real meaning other than to be judged against other gaming companies. I'm fairly sure Monsanto would take the cake for worst company, not some video game producer ;P
Old 2013-04-11, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

I guess gamers mostly vote on this poll. There are other companies that are not gaming companies on the ballot though.
Old 2013-04-13, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

EA's primary problem is that the execs treat games like generic widgets, when each game is a work of art.

The way EA acts sometimes feels like the corporate-types are betraying the artist-types for the sake of a quick buck. See also: Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion