proximity mines detonating distance - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is a witty quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-11, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
simmi
Private

Question proximity mines detonating distance

Hi guys, I don't ever play engi or infil, I play LA.

I die to prox mines a lot since as an LA I go into rooms and buildings packed with enemies and try to do max damage before I die. So I have to always be looking straight ahead because I want to be the first one spotting the enemy and firing the first shot. Therefore, it's pretty difficult for me to spot the proximity mines as I'm moving through various rooms at high speed looking straight ahead. Proximity mines are the bane of LA class.

Anyways here are my questions. Some questions are related:
1) What is the distance within which you have to come to trigger the proximity mine to explode.
2) Also do I have to walk directly over the proximity mine for it to explode or do I just have to come near it? I'm thinking it's the latter
3) If I'm flying above it within the proximity distance, does it still go off?
4) Also do they persist after death and class change? I'm thinking of buying them for my infil class, placing them and change to LA class back.
Old 2013-05-13, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
OCNSethy
Major

Re: proximity mines detonating distance

I have no firm data on this but from my experience with NC and VS AP mines I would suggest..

The mine detenates when you are a few feet from it. Flying / jumping over them causes them to explode (indoors at least).

Claymores are different as the enemy has to approach it from it 'active' side.

They persist after the owner's death or class change but if the owner logs off, Im pretty sure they disappear.

I have them as both engi and infil. They are very useful for minding your back while sniping or repairing or just protecting your sundie when deployed.

But I am happy to stand corrected if my info is incorrect.

Last edited by OCNSethy; 2013-05-13 at 01:25 AM.
Old 2013-05-13, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
I have no firm data on this but from my experience with NC and VS AP mines I would suggest..

The mine detenates when you are a few feet from it. Flying / jumping over them causes them to explode (indoors at least).

Claymores are different as the enemy has to approach it from it 'active' side.
Are you saying that our proxy mines are the only ones that need to be tripped from a certain direction?

If so, that's pretty lame.

I hate proxy mines myself, they trigger way too easily and give you no time for any sorta reaction, not to mention that they are way too hard to spot most of the time. And even if you throw a grenade near it, it probably won't even destroy it because it has a fair amount of health. These things are made to explode at any sorta contact, so they should have ONE health. It should not take more than one bullet to blow these things up.
Old 2013-05-13, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Canaris
Contributor
General

I fly over floors I think will be rigged, it works, then shoot the mine from the other side and wait the infil or eng to come check and see if he injured someone and get a easy kill, bam easy kill for me.
Claymores are the worse of the three

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-05-13 at 03:23 AM.
Old 2013-05-13, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Osskscosco
Corporal

Use flak armor and you won't die.
Old 2013-05-13, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by Osskscosco View Post
Use flak armor and you won't die.
Its a balancing act for sure. Flak armour wont help much in a normal fire fight and nano wont help at all with mines and nades... Its a shame we cant cert both at the same time

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
Are you saying that our proxy mines are the only ones that need to be tripped from a certain direction?

If so, that's pretty lame.
Yes they do and yes it is.. they either miss them, get winged or get dead.

Last edited by OCNSethy; 2013-05-13 at 06:53 PM.
Old 2013-05-13, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Flak armor has saved my ass far more times than nanoweave ever did.

Old 2013-05-13, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sirisian
Colonel

You can definitely fly over them. Also depending on where you're standing they don't always one hit. This is especially true on jump pads. People usually don't place mines directly where people land, but usually place them away from the jump pad. It's possible as LA or max to hit the jump pad landing in such a way that all proxy mines detonate and you take no damage. Just fly before you land and some will detonate but do no damage.

I'm at 538 proxy mine kills. If someone is good at placing them you're probably not going to live. I use mine primarily offensively. So luring people into doorways when I've been hit. Don't follow an engineer into a doorway. Any good engineer is going to throw C4 or a proxy mine right on the ground as they back up. Can't tell you how many times I've done that. Even if you have flak you aren't going to live.

If you're LA you need to use your jets and use the windows. Never use the bottom doors to a small outpost building. Those are always the primary proxy mine locations. That and the top stairs since no one looks down. Can't stress it enough, fly. I've seen someone hold space and glide across the ceiling blowing up mines before without dying. Destroyed our whole defense and killed like 3 people. Those jump jets really mess up people's aiming.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2013-05-13 at 08:04 PM.
Old 2013-05-13, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
OCNSethy
Major

Good advice Sirisian. I stand corrected about the flying over them. Thanks
Old 2013-05-14, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Selerox
Sergeant

The detonation distance isn't actually distance based, it's time based. It's set to detonate the split second after you notice it...
Old 2013-05-14, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Fenrys
Major

I've jumped over TR Claymores without setting them off. Someone placed 2 inside the little Amp Station shield generator room, one at either side of the gen pointing toward the door.

Before noticing them, I jumped from the doorway, over the gen and stood behind it while stabilizing. The claymore I jumped over caught me on my way out.
Old 2013-05-14, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
I've jumped over TR Claymores without setting them off. Someone placed 2 inside the little Amp Station shield generator room, one at either side of the gen pointing toward the door.

Before noticing them, I jumped from the doorway, over the gen and stood behind it while stabilizing. The claymore I jumped over caught me on my way out.
They really need to scrap the claymore and just give us "Boomers", same style as the Prox & Betty......... *RAGE*

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-14, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
They really need to scrap the claymore and just give us "Boomers", same style as the Prox & Betty......... *RAGE*
Agreed. When they work, they work well but when they dont... its sad face.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion