Slug Ammunition Good Or Bad? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stock up and save. Limit: one
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-14, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
LordShockTitan
Private

Slug Ammunition Good Or Bad?

I was just wondering, because when I first used it, it seemed like it does not OHK as much as without it (I use the GD 66 Claw FYI.) So I was wondering what the pro's and con's are of the slug ammunition, and whether or not you should buy it. Thanks in advance, and sorry if I do not respond to any of your guys's questions for a while, I am quite busy during the weekdays.

FYI, I tested the SA in the VR room.
Old 2013-05-14, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Slug Ammunition Good Or Bad?

You should buy it and try it.

Up until the recent improvements to the long range carbines it was the best option light assault had for medium long shooting. in some cases its still the best.

The the bloom is pretty nasty so you have to shoot it semi even with the autos - but thats easy to do,
Also the velocity is really slow so dont shooting moving targets at range and it has bad drop over 60 or 75 meters.

I have a fairly huge number of kills with mine from flanking enemies and shooting them while they stand still behind cover at 30 to 60 meters.
Old 2013-05-14, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

If you are vanu, it is decent/worthwhile.
If you are not vanu, it is essentially worthless.

I speak from experience. You are better off packing a carbine or SMG for anything but knife-fight ranges because you can't hot-swap between slug and shot ammunition (like you could if we had, say, an inventory system).

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-05-14 at 08:14 PM.
Old 2013-05-14, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

They arent worthless. But the set of optional conditions is narrow.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
They arent worthless. But the set of optional conditions is narrow.
Can you expand on that, Ghoest? What are these conditions you speak of?
Old 2013-05-15, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sifer2
Major

They used to better than regular. Then they were rebalanced. I still think slugs on the Pump action is not that bad. It's crazy good if your Vanu.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Chewy
Major

It's been a while since I used slugs but I don't like them. They serve good in certain areas but are not rounded enough for me to keep using them over another weapon.

If I do pull my Mauler anymore it's nothing but buck shot, an IRNV scope, and extended mags. Get in, fuck up a target, and get the hell out. If range is needed pull your pistol. I crammed 300-400 certs into my Mauler and couldn't find a good reliable place for slugs but to deal with people on the tops of towers. Other than that Id rather have another weapon for the underslung attachments or keep buck shot for painting a room.

For me slugs are just not my thing. Others may get better use out of them, but I can't. To many needed shots to kill and to unreliable at range with it's travel time, great drop, and rather high recoil. Then again I was never a fan of sniper like weapons in games. Never could get past how I was taught to aim a gun with my entire body rather than by the hands.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Canaris
Contributor
General

Slugs are good given the situation, I've caught people on the trot with them at nice ranges, though I have stuck my PA into someones back at very close range and squeezed off a few shot and.... MISSED. So beware they do carry a stupid price of not being able to hit or hurt people at close range to point blank. In the end I just leave them off and go to my carbines/ AR & LMG for mid range and use the non slug Shotty or SMG if I want to mess things up in your face.

So overall can be useful M/R for that quick kill but with major draw backs.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-15, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Before the last patches I made most of my kills with slugs as I used them with every class (except inf and max of course). They were awesome in mid to long range engagements. But currently I would not advise to get them, unless you lack any mid to long range option.
I still use them to get rid of the occasional sniper, but besides that I most dropped using them. As said, their drawbacks are no longer really worth it. Other weapons can also fill the role pretty good now, and also be decent in close up scenarios where slugs fail.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-05-15 at 05:31 AM.
Old 2013-05-15, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Assist
Contributor
Major

If you're using the shotgun as a shotgun, they're not worth having. If you're using the shotgun as a rifle, you're doing it wrong.
Just my opinion :P
Old 2013-05-15, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

the travel time makes them difficult to use as a rifle on anything moving. personally, I think they are useless. If you are picking off stationary targets, go ahead I suppose.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion