Dev's Intentions for Each Class - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: so much to spam, so little time
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-05-19, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Dev's Intentions for Each Class

I've been wondering for a while what the devs are planning to do in terms of the direction of each class.

For instance, is Light Assault intended to be a sneaky class or a speedy flying skirmisher? I'm aware that on the test server they have made the jetpack louder, so I'm thinking they're leaning towards the skirmisher, but I could be wrong.

Is the Combat Medic intended to stay strictly as a support class, or will it eventually become more anti-infantry?

Is Heavy Assault going to remain the best infantry-killer and (excluding engineers with their new AV-turrets) vehicle killer?

Is the Infiltrator going to stay a simple sniper, as it seems to be right now, or evolve into an assassin and actual base-infiltration class?

Only class I don't really have any questions about is the engineer. It seems to have a pretty defined role both in combat and support.

While none of you may have actual answers, I'm just wondering if we have any ideas. It completely baffles me as to what they plan to do with the classes in this game. Things seem very subject to change and, right now, many of the classes seem unfinished and incomplete in their roles.

EDIT: not sure if "new player questions" was the appropriate place to post this. My apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-05-20 at 03:04 PM.
Old 2013-05-20, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

Re: Dev's Intentions for Each Class

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
I've been wondering for a while what the devs are planning to do in terms of the direction of each class.

For instance, is Light Assault intended to be a sneaky class or a speedy flying skirmisher? I'm aware that on the test server they have made the jetpack louder, so I'm thinking they're leaning towards the skirmisher, but I could be wrong.

Is the Combat Medic intended to stay strictly as a support class, or will it eventually become more anti-infantry?

Is Heavy Assault going to remain the best infantry-killer and (excluding engineers with their new AV-turrets) vehicle killer?

Is the Infiltrator going to stay a simple sniper, as it seems to be right now, or evolve into an assassin and actual base-infiltration class?

Only class I don't really have any questions about is the engineer. It seems to have a pretty defined role both in combat and support.

While none of you may have actual answers, I'm just wondering if we have any ideas. It completely baffles me as to what they plan to do with the classes in this game. Things seem very subject to change and, right now, many of the classes seem unfinished and incomplete in their roles.

EDIT: not sure if "new player questions" was the appropriate place to post this. My apologies if this is in the wrong section.
Light Assault: It's intended to be both. After using the jetpack you can be sneaky.

Combat Medic: It already can be used well again infantry if you stop focusing on rezzing and healing people.

Heavy: I don't think it is the best infantry killer in the game. I destroy them all the time w/ my LA. Feel free to check my stats.

Infiltrator: It is a base infiltration class... how have you determined it isn't? Hack terms, lay mines, blow gens, and pull vehicles(AMS!) right at the enemy base. Add invisibility and OSK and you got a pretty bad ass class.

http://www.thefortydeuce.com
Old 2013-05-20, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Palerion
Sergeant Major

I'm talking about what the devs intend it to be, not what it currently is to the playerbase. Many classes currently overlap roles and lack roles. Obviously the developers are not finished with giving gear and abilities to the classes; if they were, this game would be barebones, dry, and not very much fun at all.

Originally Posted by AuntLou View Post
Light Assault: It's intended to be both. After using the jetpack you can be sneaky.
The Light Assault doesn't have very much direction to be honest. Many people use it more inventively than anything else, leaving it empty of a true role. People equip C4, which costs loads of resources, and drop it on enemy MAXs and vehicles. Only really good for destroying one vehicle as you can't resupply at an engineer ammo pack. Many shoot while flying, but the devs clearly don't intend for that as the COF is monstrous. And the class is really not designed to handle anything outside of a biolab or close quarters situation well. And if the devs increase jetpack noise, as is currently on the test server, their "sneaky" role is debatable; they may be focusing more on an aggressive and speedy frontline fighter than a sneaky class. Personally though, I would be fine if they tried to make it not be a sneaky class, as that's supposed to be the infiltrator's job.

Combat Medic: It already can be used well again infantry if you stop focusing on rezzing and healing people.
But its gear hasn't been designed in a way that combat is at all emphasized. Aside from assault rifles, all its capabilities focus on healing people. Not necessarily that it needs freaking nanoweave armor or resist shield, but do the devs intend to make it more obviously a class focused on dropping its enemies fast and efficiently and being strong and powerful in firefights? After all, you're right, it's the only class that can wield the assault rifle; it should stand out as a stand-alone warrior. The only question is are the devs planning on making its killing power stand out amongst the rest of the classes or do they want to leave it as a hardcore nurse with a side-job of defending itself?

Heavy: I don't think it is the best infantry killer in the game. I destroy them all the time w/ my LA. Feel free to check my stats.
I'm talking in basic firefights; as mentioned above, the LA currently sneaks pretty well and has a very silent jetpack. And you may be a great LA player; a great player can get plenty of kills with anything. LA is good to use in unorthodox ways, but that leaves it relatively unstructured. On the other hand, the heavy always wins in a stand-up fight against engis, medics, infs, and LAs. Stand-up fights. As in, the enemy is on the ground and the two classes are exchanging fire, as most battles occur in this game. So, it really does kill infantry best on the frontline and vehicles.

Infiltrator: It is a base infiltration class... how have you determined it isn't? Hack terms, lay mines, blow gens, and pull vehicles(AMS!) right at the enemy base. Add invisibility and OSK and you got a pretty bad ass class.
I get what you mean, but some people have felt that it isn't as good at infiltrating as it should be. As has commonly been noted, LA trumps it in sneaking around and maneuvering past enemies relatively undetected. And they have a right to feel that way. As you can see, the classes lack direction, and this is a perfect example: the LA is commonly seen as a better infiltrator than the infiltrator. So do the devs continue on that path, or make the LA based more on speed and aggression in the heat of battle with its jetpack and the infiltrator more focused on not being detected at all?

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-05-20 at 08:26 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

Your best bet is to get on a stream w/ some devs like FNO or Command Center and start asking questions. Unless a player on here can either read minds or tell the future I don't think anyone knows the paths/rolls intended for every class. I personally think they don't need defined rolls and feel no need to know their future intentions. Because of that I haven't done allot of research so it's kinda hard for me to help you out.

http://www.thefortydeuce.com

Last edited by AuntLou; 2013-05-21 at 05:35 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions