Alert feedback for jweathers. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What does this little lever do?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-25, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

Re: Alert feedback for jweathers.

I like the current frequency of alerts but we could use more varied objectives like others have said.
Old 2013-05-26, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TheSaltySeagull View Post
I like the current frequency of alerts but we could use more varied objectives like others have said.
PMT, QFT
Old 2013-05-26, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
MrMak
Sergeant Major

here is an idea for an alert/event that would utilise an LLU like mechanic. It would require quite of bit of work on models AI. etc.

"The original Vanu have left a lot of technology on Auraxis. Most of it however is deep under ground and hard to reach. In recent years, perhaps becouse of the war, something or someone ocasionaly activates one of many such hiddien unknown devices. These large structures apear on the surface to preform some unknown task only to to go back underground after an hour or 2. The power source for these structures is extremaly valuable and whenever tremmors are felt on a continent all 3 empires are on the lookout for one of these structures. However aquireing the power source is not a simple case of getting to the structure first. The device has its own internal and external defecnes in the form of automated drones that will attack anyone who gets close. The leaders of all 3 empires deem these power cores to be worth the risk of egadgeing these ancient guardians"

Now with the fluff out of the way

When the X minutes to alert countdown starts tremmors can be felt on the continent it is going to be on. Once the alert starts a large alien structure would emerge from under ground in one of possible preset locations on the continent (Maing it entirely random could lead to some nasty bugs and make AI pathing a bit of a pain). Once active the structure would start constructing automated vehicles that engadge anything that aproachs the perimiter. These drones would not be particularly varied or powerfull, a medium tank like hover vehicle no stronger than a lightning and perhaps the switchblade ( for those unfamiliar with PS1 a hoverbike like vehicle that deploys into a turret) and some light flying drones. there would also be one Guardian a large and hard to destroy automeaton. It could take the form of a suped up BFR or a "mothership" slightly bigger than a Galaxy. Once the guardian is destroyed the structure's shield would drop and it would spawn the smaller automatons slower. On the inside the structure would have some automated wall turrets to slow down atackers before they reach the central chamber where the power source is.

Do note that the automatons are not ment to be the amin challange. They are there to slow the players down so the alert does not boil down to who gets there first. You msut have significant force is ncessary to breach the defences and that gives all the factions time to reach the structure in force.

After the power source is picked up it woudl have to be taken back to the faction's Warpgate. Just like with LLUs the player carrying it can only be a passanger in a vehicle. This prevents them from taking off in an ESF or Liberator. I supose preventing hime from entering aircraft in general might be ncessary if Galaxies end up being a problem but i doubt it.

The power core would of course be marked for everyone and once it is taken out of the structure the remaining drones would focuse on the carrier and the structure would starrt collapsing/deconstructing/exploding. After that its about who can get the core to their warpgate before the alert ends. If the alert ends with the core not leving the structurei ts simply deconstructs along with the drones. if the core is outside but has not reached the warpgate it just explodes....violently.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

If they ever introduce naval warfare then I could see the potential for an interesting form of alert.
When the alert starts for the first time. Every faction can deploy naval units to try and capture a facility in the ocean or a harbor. The facility would have to be captured by infantry. That would then grant control/access to an island with important resources for say... being able to build outfit stuff™ or powerful faction specific stuff™. Something that would be worth fighting for.

The next time the alert starts the faction that controls the island has to try to defend the outlying facility, that grants control/access to the island, from the two other factions. The controlling faction would be able to spawn infantry at the facility, but not naval units. These would still have to travel over to the facility to help defend it.

The reason why I wrote control/access is because the facility could either just grant complete control over the island or simply act as a bridgehead for an invasion of the island, which would then become just like any other battle in PS2 with ground armor, aircraft and infantry fights between the invading force and the defending force. (The key being that only two factions can participate, the attacker and the defender)
Obviously this wouldn't happen when the alert takes place for the first time, unless you would have an all out battle royal for the island and have the winner take control of the island as well as the facility)

Basicly an alert that unlocks a type of gameplay.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

How about a player driven event that will trigger an alert independent of the schedule? Or the ability to determine what type of alert will be triggered through play.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
NotTheMomma
Corporal

I'd like to see alerts more often, with shorter 1-hr alerts of different types mixed in with the 2-hr "cap the continent" alerts.

Once there are enough alert types, I think it would be good to accommodate multiple alerts, each on different continents at the same time, at least on the higher pop servers.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by CrimsonTemplar View Post
Who knows mon amis? Who knows...*mind sores with possibilities*.

I'd certainly opt for an Idea like that.
ick sounds like you need to have your brain pustules drained

sores vs soars

Alerts and their triggers will really have to change scope as more continents are added and the lattice expands, you won't have all three sides fighting next to each other in the future as regular as you do now or shouldn't have.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-05-27 at 07:26 AM.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Maybe have a neutral Tech plant at the start and the three empires have 2 hours to get it and keep it. The winning empire gets all empires tech for 6-12 hours? Vanilla vehicles only though. e.g. TR can pull Vanguards, Magriders but with no chance of certed upgrades.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion