PSU: Highway to hell, baby, goin' down!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-04-09, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Drex
Sergeant

Do I need more fans in my case?

So my new case has 2 fans, both are exhaust fans blowing air out of the PC. One fan is on the side of the tower and another in the back behind the power supply. Then there are the smaller ones on the video card and the CPU.The case has a lot of ventilation spots as well. There are 2 more empty fan slots in the back and 1 on the top of the case. Should I get more fans and how should I have it set up when it comes to intake fans and exhaust. Btw my system is an AMD 2500+ Barton, A7N8X Asus mobo, 9700 Pro and 512 corsair RAM...I have not decided if I will do any over-clocking yet, I dont think I really need to at this time though.
Old 2003-04-09, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

I don't have much experience with this, but here's what I would say.

Heat air rises. Put an exhaust fan on the top of your case at that slot. Put an intake fan on the back, as low as it will go.

That's what makes sense to me, anyway =)
Old 2003-04-09, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

take the one on the side of the tower and turn it around so its blowing inward (towards the CPU and cards) buy a fan and put it in the slot on the top of the case blowing outwards. (or you can sue the one on the back if you want)
Old 2003-04-09, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Trebor95
First Sergeant

as onemanarmy said - the side fan drawing air into the casem then the two at the back/top extracting

and thats you done - you could also 7v them to make them quieter, if temps are ok that is
Old 2003-04-09, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

just remember, cooler = better
Old 2003-04-09, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BurningSpear
Corporal

I've read in lots of places (like this:http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...ling_guide.pdf ) to have only one intake at front bottom of case, and as many exhaust fans near the rear and top as possible. if you wanna cool the HDD, then add another intake at front, but other than that, just one intake.
Old 2003-04-09, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Timormi
Staff Sergeant

Here's a good program to tell if your case it too hot. Im not sure if my pops downloaded it or bought it, but however you can find it you should. Its called Motherboard Monitor 5. It monitors your motherboard (duh) and puts a temp. reading in your tray. Green is good, yellow is decent, red is bad. When its in red you can't run too many programs, and programs will randomly shut down. Its a really good program, recommend for anyone with a computer.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum