Virtual Reality Training [Try before you buy] - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Corrupting children all over the world......
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-18, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Dairian
Sergeant

Re: Try it before you "buy" it

Originally Posted by indirect View Post
What ever happened to can't buy power with SC? Oh yeah it's SOE they lie about everything, I forgot.
They are not power. Different guns are side grades. Fire faster but don't hit as hard. Or Fire slower and hit harder. But in the end they kill the same. That is what Higby has been saying. So its more about your play style and not about pure power.

Don't quote me on this but I am sure I heard somewhere that you have the basic weapons unlocked from day one. So all the other weapons will be variants of the basic weapons. Which means they are not power upgrades.

Last edited by Dairian; 2012-06-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sensator View Post
The only thing they promised was that anything that effects gameplay or is otherwise non-cosmetic, can also be bought with Auraxium rather than station cash. They never promised anything else.
Not sure if serious, or new to PS2.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/728...nomy-explained
What were you saying? They didn't promise no "pay-to-win"? Last I checked guns are required to win. If you can simply BUY the most powerful gun and cert, than you can just PAY to win. hurr fucking durr.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
Sensator
Private

What were you saying? They didn't promise no "pay-to-win"? Last I checked guns are required to win. If you can simply BUY the most powerful gun and cert, than you can just PAY to win. hurr fucking durr.
I don't think you understand what Pay-To-Win means. It refers to several F2P games wherein you can pay for ridiculously overpowered weapons that are unavailable to someone who didn't pay anything--that is what they mean by Pay to Win.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
willaguy
Sergeant

I'm just going by what SOE has said. But you can only by sidegrades, which is where you sacrifice one thing for another, for example, faster fire rate and less accuracy. Again I'm just going by what SOE said.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Paying real money is a short cut towards the same rewards you'll eventually get just playing the game.

Everything in life has two costs: time and money. Any good cash shop will sell cosmetic items and "power" as long as that power can be obtained in game for "free" provided one commits to working towards it.

Servers don't run themselves. Getting upset over people paying for conveniences in an F2P is, frankly, childish, because you're getting worked up without thinking about who's paying what could have been your subscription fee.

As for the topic at hand: I'm counting on a simulator of some kind. I'm definitely not up for "free trials" of heavy ordinance in the field.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sensator View Post
I don't think you understand what Pay-To-Win means. It refers to several F2P games wherein you can pay for ridiculously overpowered weapons that are unavailable to someone who didn't pay anything--that is what they mean by Pay to Win.
You must be new to gaming.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Mango
First Lieutenant

The first thread I've posted in seven years and it gets derailed with a flame war.

I missed this place

Last edited by Mango; 2012-06-18 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Envenom
Sergeant Major

You must be new to gaming.
You must be new to the English language. He speaks the truth.

It's not P2W since anyone can unlock the gun, with or without station cash. P2W insinuates that it is unavailable if you don't pay. (AKA 'PAY TO WIN')

Durrrrr
Old 2012-06-18, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant

What ever happened to can't buy power with SC? Oh yeah it's SOE they lie about everything, I forgot.
When you make a new soldier in PS2, you have access to all the guns. Theer are only so many guns in the game anyway. Through Station Cash, you can purchase versions of the "Cycler" that make it fire faster but do less damage, or has a larger mag clip but reloads slower...A plus in one category but a negative in another. Essentially you can purchase the type of cycler that you want and fits your preferred play style. However...These same upgrades, or "Side-Grades" as their called do not make a gun any more stronger or weaker. It's an even trade-off in one category for another. These side-grades can also be purchased with Auraxium and not just station cash.

Attachments and camos for guns are also in the same boat. They can be purchased for Station Cash and/or Auraxium depending on what you'd prefer. Once again, this does not make a gun any more powerful, just gives it a more *you* feel.

The only thing you can buy for Station Cash that you cannot buy for Auraxium is "Convenience" items. Things like XP boosts or what not. Nothing that makes you better than someone else, but just levels you quicker. And if you played PS1, you'd know that even someone at BR8 stands just as much of a chance against someone who is BR35. Just that the BR35 has more options to play with than the 8.

Pay to Win means that you can buy an item that is unavailable to anyone outside of Station Cash. SoE has said countless times that anything that can be bought with SC can be bought with Auraxium (sans those Convenience items from before). Nothing in the Station Store will sell power for SC.

The only way to make yourself stronger is through certifications. Suddenly your Magrider is faster than My Magrider...Oh, you have more certs into "Movement speed". Mine shoots faster than yours does though. No Pay to Win here.

Hope that clears things up =)

~Xen of Onslaught Member Since: September 2003
~XoO Planetside 2 Air Division Commander
~Recruiting Now! Check our our PSU Recruitment Thread Here
Old 2012-06-19, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Madlaps
Corporal

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
You must be new to the English language. He speaks the truth.

It's not P2W since anyone can unlock the gun, with or without station cash. P2W insinuates that it is unavailable if you don't pay. (AKA 'PAY TO WIN')

Durrrrr
Uh, no it doesn't.

Pay to win is when you can buy POWER that you may or may not otherwise do with time and effort, with real money. So you can just pay your way with everything, INSTEAD of putting in time and effort. Buying a side grade is not POWER, thus SIDE grade. The fact that you can or can't get it with time and effort, means nothing - as you're skipping the part where you actually have to play the game to get upgrades that enhance your stats or power.

The way SOE is doing it, is you have to put time and effort to unlock a type of gun and then you can pay real money for sidegrades (variants) OF THAT SAME GUN.

For example, to get the MCG, i have to unlock the gun and / cert. Then once I have unlocked it with my time and effort - I can then buy a MCG variant with real life money that fires faster and does less damage.. thus a trade off, and the term side grade.

If you're going to call people wrong, at least be fucking right. You saying durr is kind of ironic.

Paying real money is a short cut towards the same rewards you'll eventually get just playing the game.

Everything in life has two costs: time and money. Any good cash shop will sell cosmetic items and "power" as long as that power can be obtained in game for "free" provided one commits to working towards it.

Servers don't run themselves. Getting upset over people paying for conveniences in an F2P is, frankly, childish, because you're getting worked up without thinking about who's paying what could have been your subscription fee.

As for the topic at hand: I'm counting on a simulator of some kind. I'm definitely not up for "free trials" of heavy ordinance in the field.
As above, if you can pay money for POWER that would otherwise take time and effort - it is still pay to win. If i can pay RL money for a weapon that gives +20% damage that I would otherwise need to spend 3 months gaming to get - that is the epitome of pay to win.

Last edited by Madlaps; 2012-06-19 at 02:36 AM.
Old 2012-06-19, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
whatever you can unlock with Auraxium, you can unlock with Station Cash.

Certain things are Auraxium-only. Implants for example.
Old 2012-06-19, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
Bags
Lieutenant General

Power items are Auxirum only (grenades, medkits, implants).
Side grades are cash or auxirium.
Cosmetics are cash only.
Old 2012-06-19, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

The giraffe camo is clearly OP and thus P2W... NERF OR N0 PLEY KKKK!?!???!??
Old 2012-06-19, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Kran De Loy
Captain

FLAME ON!

Side Note: I'm disappointed in the world even more than I was before now. I googled 'Waynes World Flame On' for a gif of wayne and garth playing street hockey only to find that more than 80% of the images returned were of some ******.
Old 2012-06-19, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Madlaps View Post
If i can pay RL money for a weapon that gives +20% damage....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they are going to avoid giving +20% damage stat bonuses, period. I guess they could work it out somehow to lower another stat with it but giving damage bonuses just seem like it will be too over powered imo....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion