AI in 5 Year Plan - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's not just for breakfast anymore.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-23, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #136
Atheosim
Captain

Re: AI in 5 Year Plan

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
Somehow, I doubt they'll introduce the 4th official faction to the game.

For several reasons :

1) Simply because they will have a harder time balancing it. So they probably won't want to do that(I think they also know it's extra unnecessary work and burden for dev team).

2) Possibility of mis-typing

3) They've said they will make many changes even in Beta if some aspects of the game is proven bad or wrong. And plans are a lot easier to modify because they're just not implemented yet [whether it be short-term or long-term](possibly, many things in the 5-year plan document are, technically, not even in the designing phase yet), because they're just 'plans' for now. So if the '4th players faction' thingy is clarified to be right, then we just have to strongly voice our concerns as fast as we can, so that we make them alter or remove their specific plan.

4) Smedly doesn't seem to be that cold-blooded man as we think he is, from what I know.
(he recently left the EQMac servers alive, so there's at least a glimmer of hope)
wait, you understand that the 4th faction is "planned" to be fully AI right?
Old 2012-03-23, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #137
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
wait, you understand that the 4th faction is "planned" to be fully AI right?
Ouch, haha. I actually thought about both(new player faction and new AI faction), silly me.

(but again, my main point is : It's just a long-term plan right now and relatively easy to modify or remove because they haven't probably started working on it yet.

However, I know that what they currently have in mind about the AI faction might be a lot different from what we're thinking right now, so I think they need to clarify more on whether it will be for invasion & special events only or permanent one. )
Old 2012-03-23, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

I think people shouldn't overreact. Something this vague will change in 5 years and so will our own perception. At the moment I don't even care about that - I'm more interested in 1-2 year plan (what we are getting at launch and what might/will get added).

I think it's more of a measure to deal with potential decrease of players. So in theory - 5 years later, PS2 player number is lower than what it was in the first 4 years. How do we still keep the battles massive? Add AI into the mix. While it's purely a speculation, it makes some sense (doesn't mean I agree/disagree on this matter).

So as I mentioned - we shouldn't pay too much attention on things 5 years later, but focus on the things to come on launch and shortly after and after a year or so come back to this idea and see if it still fits or not.
Old 2012-03-23, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
I think people shouldn't overreact. Something this vague will change in 5 years and so will our own perception. At the moment I don't even care about that - I'm more interested in 1-2 year plan (what we are getting at launch and what might/will get added).

I think it's more of a measure to deal with potential decrease of players. So in theory - 5 years later, PS2 player number is lower than what it was in the first 4 years. How do we still keep the battles massive? Add AI into the mix. While it's purely a speculation, it makes some sense (doesn't mean I agree/disagree on this matter).

So as I mentioned - we shouldn't pay too much attention on things 5 years later, but focus on the things to come on launch and shortly after and after a year or so come back to this idea and see if it still fits or not.
I guess many just dont see the game die to a "master plan" of SOE similar to BFRs and caves.

I rather have them kill the idea before it even leaves the masterminds head

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-23, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
CutterJohn
Colonel

I love the idea of hostile fauna that exists as simply a natural hazard that must be contended with.

Less enthused about a 4th empire of AI. For one, just because it would be dull to fight against, being AI. And for two.. doesn't really fit PS at all.
Old 2012-03-23, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
WarrantOfficer
Private

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Cool words
That actually sounds pretty cool so long as it doesn't take away from the PvP through the creation of dedicated PvE environments, events are fine because they are temporary; But a dedicated continent for it means that players will start to join for only the PvE and nothing else.
Old 2012-03-23, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Hohoho, how ludicrous. To think that we would stop killing each other even for a second...

The alien invaders are our opponents. Our enemy is the TR and NC!
Old 2012-03-23, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Non-combatant AI would be cool. Namely, herds of animals that roam the map. A variety of large and small dinosaurs would be neat. To me, this would make the maps feel much more organic and alive.

I guess they could be considered "hazards", like if your driving around and hit the equivalent of a super large cow, or accidentally shoot one and provoke it. Give them some attack modes in the event they get shot or hit by a vehicle. Make them tough as nails and powerful so people won't mess with them solo unless they want an ass-kicking. Not really fond of AI that attacks unprovoked though, it should really be the players fault when they get attacked.

An interesting idea: If you shoot one within a certain radius it will attack you, but if you are farther away it attacks the nearest player, friendly or enemy. I would make the radius pretty large, 300m or larger. Snipers could have a blast with this. Counter them with a fast-acting tranquilizer dart sidegrade (then run like hell).

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-23 at 09:46 AM.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

A 4th faction that is AI based could lead to some interesting gameplay that players couldn't do.

Imagine like a race of bugs like the Zerg or bugs in Starship troopers. They are hostile to everybody and play completely different than the factions. They mob entire continents with hundreds or thousands units and attack everybody.

Or an alien race not unlike the Covenant from Halo where they have all sorts of different races and tech. Stuff that wouldn't translate very well into player controlled units. Unique gameplay opportunities there.

Could be interesting. The worst would be just a 4th faction that is very similar to the current factions. That would be pointless.

I can see AI being added in when the populations really start to dwindle. They could launch attacks when server pops are low giving people something to do. I can see their uses, but only in the right scenarios. The focus should be on the PvP first.

Last edited by wasdie; 2012-03-23 at 10:22 AM.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Knocky
Major

Trying hard to keep my knee from jerking so hard it breaks the desk.

AI is bad....that is all.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

I heard they were adding AI to the Lasher.
Old 2012-03-23, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Praetor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Non-combatant AI would be cool.
This.
Old 2012-03-23, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

How about this...how about they (being SOE) not divert developer time and resources to trying to implement a ludicrous idea in a game such as this? Planetside is already a vastly complex game and I would much rather have them focus on trying to perfect what could be an incredibly fun experience, instead of what is, basically a gimmick.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
How about this...how about they (being SOE) not divert developer time and resources to trying to implement a ludicrous idea in a game such as this? Planetside is already a vastly complex game and I would much rather have them focus on trying to perfect what could be an incredibly fun experience, instead of what is, basically a gimmick.
how can you call it a gimmick for the game is its in the rear end of the 5 year plan ?
i dont think a feature added 5 years after release qualify's as a gimmick

and if the game is still kicking in 5 years time i'm sure it will be pretty different to the ps2 we are gonna play "soon"
so by then ai might not seem so useless.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-23 at 07:28 PM.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
how can you call it a gimmick for the game is its in the rear end of the 5 year plan ?
i dont think a feature added 5 years after release qualify's as a gimmick

and if the game is still kicking in 5 years time i'm sure it will be pretty different to the ps2 we are gonna play "soon"
so by then ai might not seem so useless.
Time frame has nothing to do with it. Things that were added to PS1 late in it's life were nothing more than gimmicks. They contributed nothing towards improving the game and, arguably, took something away.

The core concept of Planetside has always been one that the environment is shaped and driven by only the players. If you're talking about adding some sort of AI faction that can potentially have an effect on the game, you're turning the foundation of the game on its head. If you're talking about adding giant fucking bears or some shit, then we're just a step away from missions that require collecting 10 bear pelts.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion