News: Bolt Driver - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hi! I'm a flame-aholic.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-08, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Re: Bolt Driver

awesome post Higby. I really like the direction you guys are heading with the side-grades allowing players to adapt the weapons to what they like and not feel like the other empire is always "better", but still retain a focus for each empire.
Old 2012-02-08, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Shotokanguy
Corporal

Well, I guess we don't have to worry at all about how weapons work in game yet. It sounds nice, and then when the beta rolls around we'll actually get to see how it works out.

All I have to worry about now is making my guns look cool.
Old 2012-02-09, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Many of our weapons are built similar to the Chinese QBZ or German G36 where several weapons (carbine, assault rifle, LMG, sniper rifle, etc) are built off the same platform. We have a huge number of variant parts that can mix and match to create different unique weapons. A lot of the parts will be unique to certain weapon types, so a barrel on an assault rifle won't necessarily be the same as on your LMG so that we have distinct silhouettes and looks, each of these weapons also behaves completely differently in game from an ammo count, accuracy, firing rate, damage, etc. standpoint.
While I like the concept, the non-carbine Cycler looks pretty ugly now, with all the "missing" body parts. Please consider extending the body's external plastic bits (they can be segmented modules, to facilitate the concept of modularity) instead of leaving long, featureless empty spaces that seem to make no sense as far as weapon design is concerned.

And while we're here, how can the Cycler ARV's long barrel and added weight cause lower accuracy? :P

So, if you want to be the high damage sniper guy, you don't necessarily have to play NC!
Please don't. This is a bad idea. It's like making MAXes TR-only, Light Assault VS-only and Infitrators NC-only, or something.

I can semi-survive the NS pump-action shotgun being weaker per-shot than the NC-specific pump-action shotgun (if there is one other than the Jackhammer). Still, I'm assuming there will be a decent pump-action shotgun will be accessible to everyone, and I won't be forced to play a faction that I don't like, just because 2/3 of them can't facilitate my playstyle.
Making the most powerful per-shot sniper rifle only accessible to 1/3 of the playerbase, however, means that 2/3 won't have access to a core playstyle. If you're using a slow, bolt-action sniper rifle, it makes no sense to go with anything other than the absolute most powerful one. The first shot must count.
This wouldn't ruin my game, since I'm an in-yo-face shotgun guy, but I've got friends who play snipers and I'm not about to tell them they're destined to be gimped if they wish to play with me, because "they don't have to play TR".

NC, TR, or whatever can have the most powerful semi-auto sniper rifle. No one will care. The most powerful bolt-action rifle, though, must be made by Nanite Systems. I'm hoping this is how it's designed right now, and my rant was ultimately useless.

Last edited by FIREk; 2012-02-09 at 03:06 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Figment
Lieutenant General

...ehr Firek, he said that you DO NOT have to be NC for that rifle type, because you can customize your weapons accordingly as TR or VS...
Old 2012-02-09, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
...ehr Firek, he said that you DO NOT have to be NC for that rifle type, because you can customize your weapons accordingly as TR or VS...
The way I understand it, you won't be able to customize a weapon to match the dominant characteristic of a different empire's, equally customized, weapon.

What I mean by this is, for instance:
TR sniper rifle: default damage 100
NC sniper rifle: default damage 120 (let's assume it's the most powerful per-shot sniper rifle in PS2, so that's its dominant characteristic)

I customize my TR sniper rifle with the maximum +20% damage boost, at the cost of fire rate. Let's assume that the rate of fire is the same as the default NC one. I now have a sniper rifle that does 120 damage as well.

The NC guy, however, will apply the very same upgrade to his sniper rifle (and we know that all snipers will pick damage unless it affects accuracy; such a mod wouldn't make sense so it probably won't be in the game) and his rifle will now do 144 damage.

So at the end of the day all NC snipers would have the dominant rifle. At short and medium ranges fire rate will balance out damage. At long and extreme ranges, you either kill or miss. This is basically what I'm getting at.

I would prefer to be wrong, but this is how I understand "maintaining empire distinction" in "customize to fit their playstyle while maintaining empire distinction".

Last edited by FIREk; 2012-02-09 at 04:45 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Oops double post

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-02-09 at 05:18 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
The way I understand it, you won't be able to customize a weapon to match the dominant characteristic of a different empire's, equally customized, weapon.

What I mean by this is, for instance:
TR sniper rifle: default damage 100
NC sniper rifle: default damage 120 (let's assume it's the most powerful per-shot sniper rifle in PS2, so that's its dominant characteristic)

I customize my TR sniper rifle with the maximum +20% damage boost, at the cost of fire rate. Let's assume that the rate of fire is the same as the default NC one. I now have a sniper rifle that does 120 damage as well.

The NC guy, however, will apply the very same upgrade to his sniper rifle (and we know that all snipers will pick damage unless it affects accuracy; such a mod wouldn't make sense so it probably won't be in the game) and his rifle will now do 144 damage.

So at the end of the day all NC snipers would have the dominant rifle. At short and medium ranges fire rate will balance out damage. At long and extreme ranges, you either kill or miss. This is basically what I'm getting at.

I would prefer to be wrong, but this is how I understand "maintaining empire distinction" in "customize to fit their playstyle while maintaining empire distinction".
Each emipre are gonna have better and worst things,

Let's say u have a vs guy running to into a base and u only have 7 seoconds to kill him

Now the NC sniper shoots an hits him in the chest and takes out lets say 90hp
He go's for the reload rushes and misses and the vs guy gets to the door safe

Now let's take the tr sniper he shoots and takes out 75 hp not as good as NC but the tr has 2 more seoconds pair coz he can reload fast boom hits VS he dies

Now does the big bad NC hard hitting sniper over powered? In this case no

Let's say you have a vs trooper with 90 hp left and he's waiting for somthink and u only have one shot

NC sniper boom hit dead

Tr sniper hits and vs runs away and then a Magrider hovers on your face

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-02-09 at 05:13 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
Espion
Staff Sergeant

This is precisely the goal of the design - allow players to customize to fit their playstyle while maintaining empire distinction. We don't want you to feel compelled to play NC to get the gameplay experience you want to have when all your friends want to play TR, but, we don't want all the empires to feel like nothing more than a color swap. So, we have blurred the edges to allow for personalizing your gameplay experience while still having each empire have a distinct overall feel and direction to what their soldiers can field.
It sounds like an absolutely nightmare to balance.
Old 2012-02-09, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Boogster
Private

Balance is going to be an absolute nightmare - and it's really important. You can't have a game that aspires to attract mainstream FPS players but brushes over issues of weapon balance. Sniping, in particular, always attracts controversy and it sounds to me like you're making things more difficult than they need be.

I predict carnage in beta.

Last edited by Boogster; 2012-02-09 at 07:54 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Thanks for the wall of clarity Higby

Old 2012-02-09, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Beta should help to work this all out. Make sure you guys post feedback every chance you get when it starts
Old 2012-02-09, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Ban the devs for trolling
^THIS.

I already bought a ticket to America just to burst in your office and start smashing things like a true Panda from that ad! But you preserved your lives. For now...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-09, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
Beta should help to work this all out. Make sure you guys post feedback every chance you get when it starts
QFT

This is very important here. We want to help the devs out as much as possible so we can have a great game come release.

This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-02-09, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

I think the most important lesson is, all that needs to be done to get Higby to post is for me to misunderstand an email.

Glad this was cleared up and I of course plan to be a little more clear on our other weapons.
Old 2012-02-09, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
I think the most important lesson is, all that needs to be done to get Higby to post is for me to misunderstand an email.

Glad this was cleared up and I of course plan to be a little more clear on our other weapons.
its all good fella, Shit Happens
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion