News: TotalBiscuit Liberator Video - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So, does this "Planetside" have chicks?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-23, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Re: TotalBiscuit Liberator Video

radio active gas sounds like an AEO weapon similar to PS1's plasma. I'm sure it will be a favorite among tower campers.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Stardouser
Colonel

This following is about vehicle customizations such as tank smoke, radars, jammers, repair systems/fire extinguishers, ejection seat, etc, basically, anything electronic or other than weapons. There are some of these things I oppose existing, but this is not about that, so for the purpose of this post you may disregard that and presume that I accept them all.

That said, I believe all of those things should be able to be equipped at once. ie, you shouldn't have to choose between radar types or choose jammer over flares. Realism should never be pursued for realism's sake, but I will mention realism here because the mind of a player knows that in real life, a vehicle could indeed have all these things installed. And it's good for game balance too, as aircraft and vehicles will be on equal ground in terms of these electronic things.

You may be thinking that this hurts the game in some way but this is not so. There are still plenty of other things that can be customized. Obviously there's all the cosmetics, but weapons are a huge customization. A vehicle can't carry dozens of weapons, so there's still plenty of customization to do there; rockets, cannons, whatever else we saw in TB's video. Aircraft fully loaded with air to ground weapons will still be at a disadvantage against aircraft with air to air missiles, for example.

But the electronic and non-weapon, non-cosmetic stuff should all be able to be equipped together. And you might ask, isn't it overpowered to have both jammers and flares? No, because flares should not be unlimited in how many you carry, and jammers should not be 100% effective, rather, they should serve to decrease the range that radar can see you and/or that lock-on missiles can lock you, not block them 100% effectively.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-23 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
Fanglord
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Trolltaxi View Post
Stop bitching about zebras! This a placeholder!
I'm pretty sure the zebra skin is there to stay, personally I don't mind silly skins . Add a touch of humour to the game, plus even real military vehicles had comical decals occasionally.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Mostly sure, yes. Feel free to check. I'll correct anything you find. I know i even missed some, because he didn't hover them.
Well I'll be. You are right. It seems the "big gun" for the Lib is listed as the tail gun, while the PS1 Lib tailgunner role is listed as the belly gun. I'm actually pretty suprised by that because I had assumed that the layout would be the same, just replacing the bombadier with a gun you can aim.

Old 2012-05-23, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
This following is about vehicle customizations such as tank smoke, radars, jammers, repair systems/fire extinguishers, ejection seat, etc, basically, anything electronic or other than weapons. There are some of these things I oppose existing, but this is not about that, so for the purpose of this post you may disregard that and presume that I accept them all.

That said, I believe all of those things should be able to be equipped at once. ie, you shouldn't have to choose between radar types or choose jammer over flares. Realism should never be pursued for realism's sake, but I will mention realism here because the mind of a player knows that in real life, a vehicle could indeed have all these things installed. And it's good for game balance too, as aircraft and vehicles will be on equal ground in terms of these electronic things.

You may be thinking that this hurts the game in some way but this is not so. There are still plenty of other things that can be customized. Obviously there's all the cosmetics, but weapons are a huge customization. A vehicle can't carry dozens of weapons, so there's still plenty of customization to do there; rockets, cannons, whatever else we saw in TB's video. Aircraft fully loaded with air to ground weapons will still be at a disadvantage against aircraft with air to air missiles, for example.

But the electronic and non-weapon, non-cosmetic stuff should all be able to be equipped together. And you might ask, isn't it overpowered to have both jammers and flares? No, because flares should not be unlimited in how many you carry, and jammers should not be 100% effective, rather, they should serve to decrease the range that radar can see you and/or that lock-on missiles can lock you, not block them 100% effectively.
Okay, Then I want all implants on my dude, cause you know they'd totally fit in and all.

Snide comment aside, your proposal doesn't make much sense, I mean why stop with the equipment customization, remove all guns and just have one that is equally effective against eveything, right?

That's the whole point of the sidegrades, that you have to choose how you wanna play by choosing the proper equipment and NOT just have all of it all the time.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
Okay, Then I want all implants on my dude, cause you know they'd totally fit in and all.

Snide comment aside, your proposal doesn't make much sense, I mean why stop with the equipment customization, remove all guns and just have one that is equally effective against eveything, right?

That's the whole point of the sidegrades, that you have to choose how you wanna play by choosing the proper equipment and NOT just have all of it all the time.
I can't respond to that because I don't know what all implants can do, but I'd guess that for many of them it wouldn't hurt to have a lot of implants going. All I'm saying is that it makes perfect sense that while an aircraft can't be loaded to max with rockets and then still carry a load of bombs or heatseeking missiles, it also makes sense that an aircraft can carry an ejection seat, both radar types, a jammer, a stock of flares and that kind of thing.

Think of it this way, if you want: I believe the sidegrade system should only apply to the weapons systems. You can still spec out AI/AA/AV, that is not changed. Your objection of "have to choose how you wanna play by choosing the proper equipment and NOT just have all of it all the time." would only be valid if I were suggesting that a vehicle be able to carry all weapon types at once, which I am not.

To give you a tank example, why should a tank have to choose between 6 shots of smoke and some other thing? The smoke launcher hardly takes up any space at all.

And I know what the point of all this is, but I think having vehicles be more electronically equal to each other would be better, and there's certainly no lore/tech lore reason for it to be this way.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-23 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Kipper
Captain

Some of those tail guns in MrBloodworth's post look like they should be belly guns... camera guided? Sounds more like something for the 'bombardier' seat than the tail gunner seat to me.

If you're meant to swoop in with the pilot gun, and then damage with the belly gun, are they saying the tail gun is for the climb out? It works, I suppose - but doesn't that sort of limit the liberator to that one tactic to be most effective?
Old 2012-05-23, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

TB mentions that a lot of guns are being made for testing purposes, so who knows what the final guns are going to be like.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Just the red lettering above the vehicle denoting an enemy.
Which as far as I've seen only ever appears at extreme close range and when you have damaged them (perhaps also when they fire). If you see someone coming towards you at a distance with this camo on you will only ever know it is an enemy once it has already fired on you, which then makes it unfair, especially if I'm in a vehicle with faction colours. Also test shooting them is not exactly advisable since team damage is in the game.

I'm all in favour of these kind of camo's but it would be preferable if there was at least some faction colours visible at a distance from the front (like a stripe running from its nose to its tail).
Old 2012-05-23, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
Which as far as I've seen only ever appears at extreme close range and when you have damaged them (perhaps also when they fire). If you see someone coming towards you at a distance with this camo on you will only ever know it is an enemy once it has already fired on you, which then makes it unfair, especially if I'm in a vehicle with faction colours. Also test shooting them is not exactly advisable since team damage is in the game.

I'm all in favour of these kind of camo's but it would be preferable if there was at least some faction colours visible at a distance from the front (like a stripe running from its nose to its tail).
This is something that is obviously going to be changed through beta...If that indeed ends up being a problem, there's no way it's going to escape beta without being fixed.
Old 2012-05-23, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
brickbuster
Private

I'm concerned about the prospect of identifying targets what with the vehicle skins. Seems to me that if a TR or VS had a blue or goldish looking skin I might ignore it, but if an NC vehicle looked like an enemy I might blow it out of the sky.
Old 2012-05-23, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Virulence
Sergeant

There are very obvious bright red markings on that Liberator. I suspect that the NC and VS will have appropriately colored markings to make them visually distinguishable without too much trouble.
Old 2012-05-23, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Virulence View Post
There are very obvious bright red markings on that Liberator. I suspect that the NC and VS will have appropriately colored markings to make them visually distinguishable without too much trouble.
That's true, but there are no red markings on the underside. The grunts won't know what's hit them when this bird comes over.
Old 2012-05-23, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
SixShooter
Captain

I love it. This is going to be a fun one to fly. Top speed seems faster than the old one. Keep the vids coming.

Old 2012-05-23, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
That's true, but there are no red markings on the underside. The grunts won't know what's hit them when this bird comes over.
Crosshair had IFF in PS1 i assume it will in PS2
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion