Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's. - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PlanetSide: Depriving you of sleep since the open beta!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-17, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #136
Meriv
First Sergeant

Re: Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

that you should give medic a nerf to his fire power since he is able to use assault rifles and if you do that the medic will have just the option to play as "support" while right now their intention is to give you a choice between a support medic or a fighter one
Old 2012-06-17, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
YaJackWagon
Private

you could still choose I think...

hefty smg for the dispenser
carbine if you want AoE versions of the mobile support options
assault rifle if you want targeted versions of the mobile support options

balancing tradeoffs might get complicated though....

which is why I most like the idea of resupplying and significant healing/repairing next to a sunderer or galaxy.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
Furber
First Sergeant

As someone who's very excited about playing a Light Assault, I feel like ammo drop is out of place for LA's. The engineer being a support class, like the medic, would indeed be a better choice for ammo drop so they can support their allies in yet another way. Im curious to see what the LA's will be able to do in place of ammo drop, hopefully something good!
Old 2012-06-17, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
SergeantNubins
Corporal

Light assault feels more like a special forces type of role, harrasing, quick response, that kind of thing. I think some of what they do crosses with infiltrators, so if they replace the ammo drop i think the ability to use some form of devices would be good - perhaps timed or triggered explosives (either ones for damaging vehicles or ones for damaging infantry, but not both). Or shorter cooldowns on handgrenades, something like this. Light assault and heavy assault should be focused on assault, not crossed over with support functions, in my opinion.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Meriv View Post
Ok this is not a unreacheable zone but i want to show the effectivness of their weapon in long range for camping.

I know it is a ENG but the weapon will be still a caribine for the LA.He discharged all his ammunition and he got a single hit....

Soo i think it is not big problem for the rest of the classes to have the LA with ammo supply.

http://youtu.be/fLakXgelJGY?t=55m
I see what you mean with the carbine, but as a halo reach player I've seen the problems caused by jetpack mobility. Often jetpackers find some random nook that they can shoot out of, but is virtually impossible for others to shoot into. This is not so much of a problem when the ammo pool is fairly limited because they won't be able to hold the position for too long, but when LA can keep spawning ammo it can become really frustrating for other players (in halo, max ammo for AR and pistol is enough for 10+ kills).

My biggest concern is that it will encourage lonewolf players to find and abuse terrain exploits. Making some sort of trade off for ammo supply on LA would easily fix the issue.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

said it before and ill say it again, HA should carry ammo packs. they should have a support roll aswell.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Jinxsey
Corporal

Why not make ammo packs a certable "secondary" slot that replaces your heavy weapon or special item.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

I'd like to see a return of the T2 portable inventory stations (you can't switch your class or get additional inventory stations, but you can re-arm/change class loadout). If the MAST is this then it'll be awesome.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

Back when I was playing Star Wars: Battlefront (the first one), on public servers, and 80-90% of the players on public servers were playing the rocket launcher troops or emp-rocket jetpack troopers (depending on availability due to factions), and I pretty much never saw any team coordination at all, I usually played a pilot class instead for the ammo/health pack ability and especially when they had a handheld mortar launcher weapon.

That game provides an example of how is possible to make a class that is extremely powerful for a single player operating on his own, provided that player is sufficiently skilled, which is something we probably don't want to happen in PlanetSide 2 (but how was player skill important in PS1?). In SW:BF, it came down to several factors:
  • Anyone can dodge to the side rapidly (which I do like)
  • Most of the players use one-shot-per-clip OHK weapons which take over a second to reload (e.g. rocket launcher)
  • You can jump over mines (dropped by rocket launcher troops) without setting them off (requires skill and spotting them)
  • Two of the factions (only two factions are available on each map) have the pilot class have a handheld mortar cannon (grenade launcher or radiation launcher which both work equally well), which is OHK on direct hit and reloads faster than the rocket launcher or emp rocket launcher and has an arcing trajectory. (The rebel pilot has a shotgun and the clone pilot a terribad gun)
  • Pilot has dispensable health/ammo packs
  • Pilot is able to repair health and ammo droids
  • Pilot auto-repairs vehicles while piloting them

Of course it did make it a very skill based game, in that only very skilled people were able to beat the rocket-launcher-and-mine hordes or consistently win rocket launcher duels. I had fun playing SW:BF, but I would not want to see everyone running around with OHK weapons in PS2 with the expectation that everyone has to dodge them to survive.

(I don't think anyone should be able to self-refill ammo. It seems everyone but MAXes self-heal automatically already, though. Use fixed ammo depots, galaxies, etc, or something.)

Last edited by Trafalgar; 2012-06-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post
Why not make ammo packs a certable "secondary" slot that replaces your heavy weapon or special item.
Thats what i was actually thinking about with heavy assault. Have a trade off between your rocket launcher or ammo pack. I never liked the idea of LA ever having ammo packs. They are LIGHT assault. They are meant to get into the fight fast and get ground advantage quickly while the other troops storm in on foot. So giving them added weight (slightly talking on realistic side, so take it or leave it) just doesnt seem logical or role fulfilling.

But i wouldnt be apposed to engineers having ammo either. Deploying turrets and mines limits them to being very defense heavy since once those are used they can no be picked back up (possibly mines can, but mines are never very offensive of an asset). So giving them ammo packs may allow them to branch into more offensive roles because everything else makes them a defensive support. Though they made need a trade off in terms of they dont get mines as an example.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Lets try the Gamplay First, im pretty used to that the Engineer has the Harder Job, but that does not mean you cant be a Good player for your Team

I love Landmines :P
Old 2012-06-17, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Agreed with original idea that engies should drop ammo.
Old 2012-06-17, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Engineer or HA makes sense. Engineers will probably build "nests" or forward safe spots, so it makes sense to have ammo at their protected places
Old 2012-06-17, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Ratstomper
Major

I remember higby mentioning in one of the PS1 stream chats that they're thinking about giving ammo drops to the engy, so I think this idea is already underway.
Old 2012-06-17, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
I remember higby mentioning in one of the PS1 stream chats that they're thinking about giving ammo drops to the engy, so I think this idea is already underway.
correct
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion