Don't dumb down PS2 - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Siege the Zerg Lair!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-08, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #136
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Don't dumb down PS2

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
I'm sure it works, I'm also sure giant floating battleships would work too. But it also turns the game into a COD "randomly shoot in any direction" game.
First of all, no, and secondly, if you're going to talk about floating battleships, are you at least going to resist jump pads? I'm sure they work too...
Old 2012-07-08, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #137
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

if they didn't delete OS from the game then the population would drop to almost nothing. Population dropped to almost nothing.
LOL. That's like saying "my friend started smoking when he was young and died from cancer when he was 106"

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
I feel a little pathetic for joining in on this, but I can't help myself:

So you're basically saying that squad spawning will ruin the game. Well, let's review what we know about squad spawning.

1. You will not be able to spawn on everyone in your squad, either only certed people or the squad leader.

2. You will squad spawn down in a noisy, partially flaming drop pod that reveals you and your squad mate's position.

3. There will be a several minute cooldown on squad spawning.

4. Absolutely s**t else.
1. Sounds like Battlefield games
2. ...you know where the squad leader sits around and hides all day cause they don't want to be shot
3. ....and that lame thing where you have enemies popping up all around you like they used a Star Trek teleport pad.
4 ...Or that BF2142 thing where nobody notices players spawning onto the frisbee because the frisbee is really high on the roof.

Originally Posted by somers View Post
Yeah I wouldn't even bother with reading it, it's quite stupid and the thread should be closed. P.S. OP is an angry person who joined today just to complain about how he thinks it is dumbed down, yet hasn't played it himself
I don't need to play a WOW-clone to know it's a WOW-clone.

I don't need to play BF3 to know it's a BF2 clone.

Once you've been around long enough, kiddo, you can see something coming without needing to be hit by it.

Originally Posted by somers View Post

Coding inside Buggsy's brain- (logic opposite from my standpoint and comes from someone else = ignore them and be a pretentious douche)

Also Stew... even though your English is bad... I love you
Ignore
Old 2012-07-08, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Stardouser
Colonel

1. Sounds like Battlefield games
2. ...you know where the squad leader sits around and hides all day cause they don't want to be shot
3. ....and that lame thing where you have enemies popping up all around you like they used a Star Trek teleport pad.
4 ...Or that BF2142 thing where nobody notices players spawning onto the frisbee because the frisbee is really high on the roof.
1. Nothing wrong with BF mechanics per se.
2. Yes, right? If you're the spawn point you need to stay alive. And hanging back to stay alive helps enhance the creation of front lines.
4. There has been no indication of the inclusion of a squad beacon. But I suppose it helps your argument appear stronger to keep mentioning it.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

I think buggsy has a form of autism.

We should understand this, and not be mean to him.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
1. Nothing wrong with BF mechanics per se.
2. Yes, right? If you're the spawn point you need to stay alive. And hanging back to stay alive helps enhance the creation of front lines.
4. There has been no indication of the inclusion of a squad beacon. But I suppose it helps your argument appear stronger to keep mentioning it.
I've seen a beta video, looks like squad beacon spawning to me. Someone puts it really high on a building, nobody notices the pod, just like in BF2142. And even if you did notice the pod, it wouldn't matter, it still destroys any logical semblence to afrontline with enemies randomly spawning all over the place.

BF mechanics are brainless, and it hasn't improved since the first game BF1942. Graphical fluff isn't an improvement.

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
LOL. That's like saying "my friend started smoking when he was young and died from cancer when he was 106"
Hows the PS1 OS wars going these days. Having fun? Good.

You and Bob over there, the only subscribers left.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
Stardouser
Colonel

I've seen a beta video, looks like squad beacon spawning to me. Someone puts it really high on a building, nobody notices the pod, just like in BF2142. And even if you did notice the pod, it wouldn't matter, it still destroys any logical semblence to afrontline with enemies randomly spawning all over the place.

BF mechanics are brainless, and it hasn't improved since the first game BF1942. Graphical fluff isn't an improvement.
You've pointed out exactly why you should spawn on the ground right next to your squad leader instead of drop pods. And that is no more ridiculous than an endless stream of soldiers that come running out of an AMS or Galaxy.

There is no spawn beacon in the PS2 videos. You probably are thinking this because the pods can be guided and therefore don't necessary land next to their squad leader.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

First of all, no, and secondly, if you're going to talk about floating battleships, are you at least going to resist jump pads? I'm sure they work too...
Anything works, heck even transforming into Godzilla would work, but it would be pretty lame now wouldn't it.

You've pointed out exactly why you should spawn on the ground right next to your squad leader instead of drop pods. And that is no more ridiculous than an endless stream of soldiers that come running out of an AMS or Galaxy.
The AMS needs to be driven to the battle, that means it can be destroyed enroute and it can't randomly appear anywhere and everywhere, unlike squad spawning and the flying AMS galaxy.

There is no spawn beacon in the PS2 videos. You probably are thinking this because the pods can be guided and therefore don't necessary land next to their squad leader.
The effect is exactly the same, enemies randomly appearing all over the place, Ooh how fun.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Hows the PS1 OS wars going these days. Having fun? Good.

You and Bob over there, the only subscribers left.
OS Wars? What's that?

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

OS Wars? What's that?
OS Wars is a game where everyone sits around and presses their I-win button, and don't do much of anything else.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
fod
Master Sergeant

i wonder if they will let you squad spawn drop within a bases SOI?
because if they dont then i think it can be fair - kind of like being able to HART drop anywhere like in PS1
Old 2012-07-08, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

OS Wars is a game where everyone sits around and presses their I-win button, and don't do much of anything else.
Hmmm... Never played it. Are you sure that you're talking about PlanetSide?

Also, don't you think that giving respawn ability to everyone is a dumbdown? Or being able to survive after 10 bullets in your knee? Or teleporting from continent to continent? Or creating vehicles out of empty air? Hmmm...

Old 2012-07-08, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
TAA
Staff Sergeant

DICE chose a positional killcam for their default settings but SOE, because SOE actually has been engaging with the consumers and finding out what they want, learned that they need to design a killcam that does not show the killer's position. That is the difference between knowing what people want and guessing based on sales.
I disagree. What SOE has been doing is listening to their hardcore player base. That is not a recipe for success. What they should be doing is pulling in casual gamers or non-gamers and asking them how they feel about the game. I hope that they havent done a botch up job with their tutorial. So many games dont put enough effort in it, yet it is the first point of contact between gamer and game.

Once the game goes live will be a real test for them. Random people will be downloading the game to check it out because it is free and they can. They will need a full team of coders on standby to enact changes to the game based on nothing but the usage data they collect. Feedback from us will not matter one bit, and it shouldnt. They are running a business.

As for killcam, I actually love it. The COD style killcam is perfect IMO (I dont like any others I have seen). I find it fun to see exactly what someone did to kill me. No it is not appropriate for a hardcore game. How will their average consumer feel about it? I dont know. Neither do you. It sure would suck to have the ability to do it coded into the game already and lose customers because it wasnt used.

You know what would be perfect actually - put killcam as an option in the cash store. No it wouldnt be something they would do at launch. I reckon they should wait six months until all the hardcore gamers have invested significant time and money into the game and become committed, and then do it to make even more money (along with the ability to buy certs).
Old 2012-07-08, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Stardouser
Colonel

1 Anything works, heck even transforming into Godzilla would work, but it would be pretty lame now wouldn't it.

2 The AMS needs to be driven to the battle, that means it can be destroyed enroute and it can't randomly appear anywhere and everywhere, unlike squad spawning and the flying AMS galaxy.

3 The effect is exactly the same, enemies randomly appearing all over the place, Ooh how fun.
1. So, does that mean you recognize the silliness of jump pads or not?
2. And squad leaders can be killed as well.
3. I didn't say I agreed with the drop pods being guideable.

Originally Posted by fod View Post
because if they dont then i think it can be fair - kind of like being able to HART drop anywhere like in PS1
If you can't squad spawn within the base perimeter(do we yet have any idea how much further beyond the perimeter the SOI goes?), then there's no need for cooldowns or drop pods anyway.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Hmmm... Never played it. Are you sure that you're talking about PlanetSide?

Also, don't you think that giving respawn ability to everyone is a dumbdown? Or being able to survive after 10 bullets in your knee? Or teleporting from continent to continent? Or creating vehicles out of empty air? Hmmm...
No FPS has proper cover and concealment modeled where infantry can quickly duck behind and shoot. PS1 with larger hitpoints and slower kill time is better because it emulates that aspect, it makes shootouts more realistic by having unrealistic high hitpoints and ability to heal while behind cover.

I always enjoyed infantry on infantry shootouts in PS1 because of that.

Teleporting from one continent to another in PS1 doesn't destroy the concept of a front line.

1. So, does that mean you recognize the silliness of jump pads or not?
2. And squad leaders can be killed as well.
3. I didn't say I agreed with the drop pods being guideable.
Jumpads and infantry spawning infantry is silly, it means there is no front line. A frontline with a safe rear area, 2 flanks, and facing the enemy.

Squad leader spawning is no fun for the squad leader, they have to play hide and go seek, meh.

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
I disagree. What SOE has been doing is listening to their hardcore player base. That is not a recipe for success. What they should be doing is pulling in casual gamers or non-gamers and asking them how they feel about the game. I hope that they havent done a botch up job with their tutorial. So many games dont put enough effort in it, yet it is the first point of contact between gamer and game.

Once the game goes live will be a real test for them. Random people will be downloading the game to check it out because it is free and they can. They will need a full team of coders on standby to enact changes to the game based on nothing but the usage data they collect. Feedback from us will not matter one bit, and it shouldnt. They are running a business.

As for killcam, I actually love it. The COD style killcam is perfect IMO (I dont like any others I have seen). I find it fun to see exactly what someone did to kill me. No it is not appropriate for a hardcore game. How will their average consumer feel about it? I dont know. Neither do you. It sure would suck to have the ability to do it coded into the game already and lose customers because it wasnt used.

You know what would be perfect actually - put killcam as an option in the cash store. No it wouldnt be something they would do at launch. I reckon they should wait six months until all the hardcore gamers have invested significant time and money into the game and become committed, and then do it to make even more money (along with the ability to buy certs).
Killcams destroy the stealth tactic. There's another valid tactic out the window.

Originally Posted by fod View Post
It doesn't matter how squad spawning is "balanced" it destroys the concept of having a front line.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion