SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where medkits are always free.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Morphic
Private

Re: SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units

Naval units sound like they are only good for travel unless they have more bases near water then I imagined.
Old 2012-08-12, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Phisionary
Corporal

I think an aircraft carrier would be pretty cool. Some side hanger bays for fighters, a large flat deck with space for several landed galaxies. The galaxies could be spawn points, or the ship itself could be one. If they do allow seamless cont. to cont. war, I imagine that could be interesting.

Being part of the skeleton crew on the ship for the crossing might be a bit of a bore, I suppose. You could reduce the necessity of that by making the distances short or the ships quick, but maybe a limited detection range of carriers could balance that (though I have very little understanding of how remote sensing will play a roll in aircraft play). So a ship in mid-ocean could use the automated defenses (maybe 8 automatic, but mannable, AA turrets) during the crossing, and the mission system or spawns to crew the vessel shortly before reaching a destination.

I have a vision in my head, of doing scythe strafing passes on an enemy naval vessel, surrounded by ocean storms and huge crested waves, with a cloud of 50 wingmen and defenders dogfighting all around. It might take some special balance work for that to even make sense, but it sounds like it could be fun.

I'd like to think a multi-gal-drop to do a hostile ship takeover would be appropriately epic as well.

A caveat-- big naval vessels lead to bigger naval vessels, as well as things like long range cannons and destroyer-class vessels (ship to ship combat). I dunno how that would fit anywhere in this game.

Last edited by Phisionary; 2012-08-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Large ships could have 'auto pilot' that just follows a course the 'captain' sets.

Obv in combat you'll want to be at the wheel, but it would allow you to get up and go to the bathroom, grab something to drink, or smoke while you wait on your ship to cross the great sea.

The ship AA defense turrets should have automation, but be player seatable as well... and the AI should mostly be to just harass enemy fighters, not be particularly effective... mostly it would serve as a warning system as well as to prevent fighters from knowing which AA turrets are actually manned and which just nuisance AI.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
Large ships could have 'auto pilot' that just follows a course the 'captain' sets.

Obv in combat you'll want to be at the wheel, but it would allow you to get up and go to the bathroom, grab something to drink, or smoke while you wait on your ship to cross the great sea.

The ship AA defense turrets should have automation, but be player seatable as well... and the AI should mostly be to just harass enemy fighters, not be particularly effective... mostly it would serve as a warning system as well as to prevent fighters from knowing which AA turrets are actually manned and which just nuisance AI.
So a giant ai ship with ai defense. So we can spawn new airplanes off of? You see with nanites you dont have to have a giant ship to spawn vehicles off of. This whole water navy idea is going to sink to the bottom of the ocean. If you guys just want to fight in a cave just say we want caves back because essentially a large boat is nothing more than a giant floating steel cave. There is zero reason for water navy. You all come up with a reason and I can put a hole in it and sink your boat.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
sagolsun
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
There is zero reason for water navy
Did you put the water part there deliberately?

With the option of putting in FLYING aircraft carriers the standard floating variety just seems pointless.

And let me tell you, titans in BF2142 were mind-blowing and absolutely amazing.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Phisionary
Corporal

Giant floating steel caves! Now THAT is an idea. I like it. +Support

If you wouldn't need a ship to spawn vehicles, why do you need a base to spawn vehicles?
These boats would float better than your logic does...

Although, flying aircraft carriers? Also awesome.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Phisionary View Post
Giant floating steel caves! Now THAT is an idea. I like it. +Support

If you wouldn't need a ship to spawn vehicles, why do you need a base to spawn vehicles?
These boats would float better than your logic does...

Although, flying aircraft carriers? Also awesome.
So you are going to sit in the middle of the ocean on your aircraft carrier and what? Watch the algae grow? If I wanted to see algae I would read more of your posts.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
sagolsun
Corporal

So you are going to sit in the middle of the ocean on your aircraft carrier and what? Watch the algae grow? If I wanted to see algae I would read more of your posts.
I'm sure there's a seaman joke waiting to happen in there somewhere.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Having a seamless world to me is a noble endeavor. To load up the outfit and fly across the ocean and attack from a vulnerable flank would add ton of tactical gameplay. To establish a beachhead all you really need is to take over a lightly defended manufactorum and hold it as you forces swell within the defensive perimeter of the base. Yes to me having a seamless world opens up many opportunities for awesome gameplay.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

So a giant ai ship with ai defense. So we can spawn new airplanes off of? You see with nanites you dont have to have a giant ship to spawn vehicles off of. This whole water navy idea is going to sink to the bottom of the ocean. If you guys just want to fight in a cave just say we want caves back because essentially a large boat is nothing more than a giant floating steel cave. There is zero reason for water navy. You all come up with a reason and I can put a hole in it and sink your boat.
Those ships would be too valuable to just leave unattended FWIW...

They'd be MASSIVE outfit investments for the tactical advantage they provide... but it also puts a FAT CHUNK of resources out in the field as a target.... worth FAR more than that base it's there supporting the attack or defense of.

If a battle's going badly, or it's getting too badly harassed, it's going to need to pull back to friendly waters where it can have more support. Too valuable to throw away.

It also likely wouldn't get too close, so unless it starts getting harassed, then you wouldn't want to have to keep it fully staffed, just a couple guys waiting on aircraft cooldowns or something who use whichever AA guns are in the best position and the AI ones, while not particularly effective, at least don't make them as easy targets.

basically it's a mobile base for outfits. most of the time you'll keep it in well guarded areas safe from harassment, and bring it out in coordinated efforts or for tactical advantage.

Coastal bases would likewise have anti ship canons aimed at the sea, as well as the standard AA and other turrets.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
sagolsun
Corporal

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
Those ships would be too valuable to just leave unattended FWIW...

They'd be MASSIVE outfit investments for the tactical advantage they provide... but it also puts a FAT CHUNK of resources out in the field as a target.... worth FAR more than that base it's there supporting the attack or defense of.

If a battle's going badly, or it's getting too badly harassed, it's going to need to pull back to friendly waters where it can have more support. Too valuable to throw away.

It also likely wouldn't get too close, so unless it starts getting harassed, then you wouldn't want to have to keep it fully staffed, just a couple guys waiting on aircraft cooldowns or something who use whichever AA guns are in the best position and the AI ones, while not particularly effective, at least don't make them as easy targets.

basically it's a mobile base for outfits. most of the time you'll keep it in well guarded areas safe from harassment, and bring it out in coordinated efforts or for tactical advantage.

Coastal bases would likewise have anti ship canons aimed at the sea, as well as the standard AA and other turrets.
Replace water-borne vessels with levitating ships (same movement mechanics and size though) and you'll start seeing the possibilities.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

only if we follow the lore to an extend that it denies interesting game play additions
Old 2012-08-12, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Whiteknight
Private

... You all come up with a reason and I can put a hole in it and sink your boat.
Naval Bombardment of coastal bases and areas on the land mass, similar to an orbital strike or the PS1 artillery.

See? There is a potential reason for the boats.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by sagolsun View Post
Replace water-borne vessels with levitating ships (same movement mechanics and size though) and you'll start seeing the possibilities.
+1 on flying airships.

Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
Naval Bombardment of coastal bases and areas on the land mass, similar to an orbital strike or the PS1 artillery.

See? There is a potential reason for the boats.
Prolonged artillery fire would be dull. You sit inside the base waiting for the seamen to nut up and come and face you in a good fight. Hopefully the devs wont think this is there idea of fun either.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by sagolsun View Post
I covered this in another post....

carrier type vessels can't fly in low orbit. They're too massive and the energy expenditure is simply too massive to maintain it for any extended period of time.

They stay in orbit. They'd prolly even be built in space to save the energy of takeoff, though they would likely be capable of take/landing and even a short flight where they enter into the atmosphere and then exit back out maybe 30 min later.

The water on the other hand is great because you can have GREAT BIG MASSIVE objects and if they're designed right, THEY FLOAT! Then all you need to do is push that massive sucker.

I would love for space carriers to be added but that would require a low orbit system (and then maybe multiple 'worlds' could be connected into a system ) to be added, which very well could also be possible with Forgelight... I don't know but it could make for some awesome potential.

For example, the squad beacon drop pod spawning system is using said orbital platform, in theory, they just aren't physically in the game. Those bases which would cover a region of the world, could be attacked and factions could remove another factions ability to use drop pods in that region for a period of time, which could make the difference by in the ground fight by crippling a tactical option of the enemies.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-12 at 06:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion