Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its not a game. It's an addiction.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-05, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
dachlatte
Master Sergeant

Re: Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I believe it is important to add those animations in. Will it kill the game if it isn't in right away? No. In fact, it would be a smooth move (since you don't have it ready yet) to wait until after launch and add them in as you can. Get all the other BS stuff out the way like balancing and game play first.
listen to this man

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Old 2011-09-05, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #152
NCLynx
Major

I just don't want to see something like this lol
http://youtu.be/k-wFI9vTqto

And yes I'm aware that even without animations they can limit the game as to where something like this couldn't happen.
Old 2011-09-05, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
I just don't want to see something like this lol
http://youtu.be/k-wFI9vTqto

And yes I'm aware that even without animations they can limit the game as to where something like this couldn't happen.
I don't want to see that either.

But that was a sick move.
Old 2011-09-05, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I believe it is important to add those animations in. Will it kill the game if it isn't in right away? No. In fact, it would be a smooth move (since you don't have it ready yet) to wait until after launch and add them in as you can. Get all the other BS stuff out the way like balancing and game play first.
I would hope the people balancing the game aren't the same people in charge of working on the art assets.
Old 2011-09-05, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #155
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The few seconds delay before the vehicle is usable is the important gameplay piece. The actual animations I personally couldn't care about but they fill the time gap and make the time gap intuitive.

However, I'd also be content with a cockpit/driver view and a little progress bar that says "Powering up..." or something like that.

The way Arma2 did it was pretty good and didn't really require changing the vehicle model.
Agreed. The delay is the important thing. If it'd cost too much dev time/money to make actual animations, then don't include them. But a delay needs to be included regardless.

I'd be okay with actual animations only if it didn't change the perspective from 1st to 3rd person. Forcing a perspective change on me like that actually made PS1 animations less immersive for me, not more. I disabled them years ago because of this.

Incidentally, if you disable the animations in PS1 you get the "progress bar-style" enter/exit with delay. I find it works quite well.

But you shouldn't have to holster your weapon when entering. The game should auto-holster it for you, and then auto-draw it again when you leave.

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-09-05 at 07:15 PM.
Old 2011-09-05, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
I disabled them years ago because of this.

Incidentally, if you disable the animations in PS1 you get the "progress bar-style" enter/exit with delay. I find it works quite well.

But you shouldn't have to holster your weapon when entering. The game should auto-holster it for you, and then auto-draw it again when you leave.
Wait, what? You can disable them? There's a progress-bar style alternative? How have I never heard of this

It already does this in PS1
Old 2011-09-05, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Wait, what? You can disable them? There's a progress-bar style alternative? How have I never heard of this

It already does this in PS1
Yes. Go to the bottom of the 1st page on This thread on SOE's board. It tells you how. It's real simple to do. I've had it set that way since--..... Well, at least since I posted on page 2 of that thread on 07/1/2004...

I thought I'd mentioned it to u guys Zul. Must not have... Excuse me while I go pop on darkhq real quick...

EDIT: It's not exactly bug-free though, which is probably why it's not widely used and most people nowadays haven't heard of it before..

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-09-05 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2011-09-05, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #158
cellinaire
Captain

Of course they will add these animations. It's only the matter of at launch or post-launch =)
Old 2011-09-06, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Avirau
Private

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Thats the effect. Nobody can say what the point was. The actual point of the animations may have just been to look cool.
Hence why in the following paragraph, which you chose not to quote, I stated that I'm mostly bothered by the loss of immersion... it's ridiculous to have people just instantly disappear next to a vehicle, it completely takes you away from the world.

Last edited by Avirau; 2011-09-06 at 12:22 AM.
Old 2011-09-06, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
Of course they will add these animations. It's only the matter of at launch or post-launch =)
Well if you have been following the news they originally said that it's not in the budget for them to put them in.

Which is where the debate stems from. There's no guarantee that anything not in at launch will ever be in the game. What if they go a 2 months, 6 months, or a year without some of these things?

They will rationalize that "hell, the game is doing pretty well without (insert some words here), why bother adding it now?"

Again, it's not a deal breaker. However, people have made it very clear we want these features in the game. The developers know this. So if they choose to ignore the public, again, whats that say for the future of the game?

Sure, the outcome of the poll only included a couple hundred people. I'd say the people on these boards are pretty damn passionate about this game, and we are giving them free ideas simply because we all want the game to do oh so very well.

At the end of the day if you don't appeal to the paying customers, your game will be shit.

(Insert jokes about PS1 failures here)
Old 2011-09-06, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
Mirror
First Sergeant

Gunnersmate or anyone else from NIC wont get any kills if pilots gets instant control of aircraft. They will be even more of a free kill than usual.

That said vehicle animations were in PS 1 and I think they belong in PS 2 aswell. If the developers say they cant add them then they are being too lazy imo.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2011-09-06, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Well if you have been following the news they originally said that it's not in the budget for them to put them in.

Which is where the debate stems from. There's no guarantee that anything not in at launch will ever be in the game. What if they go a 2 months, 6 months, or a year without some of these things?

They will rationalize that "hell, the game is doing pretty well without (insert some words here), why bother adding it now?"

Again, it's not a deal breaker. However, people have made it very clear we want these features in the game. The developers know this. So if they choose to ignore the public, again, whats that say for the future of the game?

Sure, the outcome of the poll only included a couple hundred people. I'd say the people on these boards are pretty damn passionate about this game, and we are giving them free ideas simply because we all want the game to do oh so very well.

At the end of the day if you don't appeal to the paying customers, your game will be shit.

(Insert jokes about PS1 failures here)
Indeed there's no guarantee. As one of many long-time players of SOE games myself, however, I'm almost certain that they'll add animations (at least gradually) in 5 years after launch. Well, my instinct says so anyway
Old 2011-09-06, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
Punker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
if it didn't change the perspective from 1st to 3rd person.
omg that would be amazing, hopping into a piece of equipment in first person. Watching your hands grab onto handles, climb up, slide in and grab the controls.

I'd give my left nut to have this
Old 2011-09-06, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Crator
Major General

^^^ That would be pretty sweet actually. A more realistic approach to boarding animations.
Old 2011-09-06, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

+1 to the preceding idea.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion