News: Bolt Driver - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How do I join the Common Pool Faction?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-11, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Re: Bolt Driver

I don't think the sniping is going to be anything like PS1. Or I at least hope not.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
It would annoying if the option of using the PS1 bolt driver were available to just one empire, and the other 2 could only use the HSR.
From the way Higby described it, your comparison is way exaggerating the damage difference there'll be between the empires' snipers.

The bolt driver doing more damage in a single hit than the TR sniper doesn't automatically make it "way OP". What matters is how much more damage it can do and how many shots it takes each sniper to kill a target.

From here on I'm assuming both rifles have been upgraded to do as much damage as possible...

It sounds like a bolt driver and a TR sniper will be pretty closely matched. Remember we're talking about guns that'll probably take 2-3 shots to kill (headshots aside)...A 10% damage difference wouldn't amount to very much and even less when it comes with a 10% RoF difference as well.

Now if it turned out that the Bolt Driver could take away 99% of someone's life in a single shot where the TR sniper could only take away 51%, I'd be in agreement with you, but I really don't think that'll be the case.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #168
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I'm here for ya.
I'm here for you*.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #169
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
I don't think the sniping is going to be anything like PS1. Or I at least hope not.
Sniping in PS1 was balanced, I hope for the same in PS2.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #170
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

I approve New Conglomerate Week.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #171
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I'm here for you*.
Thanks, fixed.
Old 2012-02-12, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #172
MGP
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
From the way Higby described it, your comparison is way exaggerating the damage difference there'll be between the empires' snipers.

The bolt driver doing more damage in a single hit than the TR sniper doesn't automatically make it "way OP". What matters is how much more damage it can do and how many shots it takes each sniper to kill a target.

From here on I'm assuming both rifles have been upgraded to do as much damage as possible...

It sounds like a bolt driver and a TR sniper will be pretty closely matched. Remember we're talking about guns that'll probably take 2-3 shots to kill (headshots aside)...A 10% damage difference wouldn't amount to very much and even less when it comes with a 10% RoF difference as well.

Now if it turned out that the Bolt Driver could take away 99% of someone's life in a single shot where the TR sniper could only take away 51%, I'd be in agreement with you, but I really don't think that'll be the case.
I'm pretty sure, what fully upgraded NC sniper will be one-shot-kill. While other ES rifles with same upgrades will likely require multiple shots to take down target (TR one, for sure). And for snipers, the first shot damage is most important. Look at the current latest shooters, there are auto-load fast shooting sniper rifles, but almost no one is using them, everyone prefer slow shooting, more damaging types.

TL;DR Smurfs will be best snipers in PS2.
Old 2012-02-12, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #173
Atheosim
Captain

I feel it's safe to say that every sniper rifle will be osok if it is a headshot. I feel it's equally safe to say that no sniper rifle will be osok if it's not a headshot.

Nobody likes AWPs.
Old 2012-02-12, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by MGP View Post
I'm pretty sure, what fully upgraded NC sniper will be one-shot-kill.
On what basis?
Old 2012-02-12, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
DxC
Sergeant

Well that sucks I do not want to play NC but I like sniping and the Bolt Driver... ugh I hope all empires get a sniper rifle of some sort I really do!!
Old 2012-02-12, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #176
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by DxC View Post
Well that sucks I do not want to play NC but I like sniping and the Bolt Driver... ugh I hope all empires get a sniper rifle of some sort I really do!!
Yea i kind of agree, i hope they manage to balance these things or the pops will never be equal.
Everything was pretty close in PS1 we saw a fairly even 1:1:1 split as people just rolled what looked best, if one teams design philosophy gives better weapons this time round that won't happen
Old 2012-02-12, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #177
DayOne
Captain

It will likely be so that an NC sniper does, for example, 90 damage on body shot and other rifles have a maximum of 85 on body but with a slightly higher fire rate. Both will multiply to a OSOK headshot if that is what's being planned.

Something along those lines.
Old 2012-02-12, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #178
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know why people are freaking out about the bolt driver being NC exclusive. The other 2 factions I am sure will get their own version of a sniper rifle.

Look at it this way. Sure the NC have the Bolt Driver. It may do slightly more damage than the other rifles. Just like all the other NC weapons but at a slower rate of fire.

Where as the TR version of the rifle does less damage than the Bolt Driver but they can fire more frequently than the NC version.

As for the VS. I wouldn't be surprised if its some form of a laser sniper rifle that fits somewhere in the middle of the NC version and TR version.

Its all going to work out in the end. Stop freaking out about it.

To help better explain please see examples below.

NC: Bolt Driver - 90dmg - 3 sec reload
TR: ????? Rifle - 80dmg - 1.5 sec reload
VS: Laser Rifle- 85dmg - 2.5 sec reload

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-02-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 2012-02-12, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #179
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
NC: Bolt Driver - 90dmg - 3 sec reload
TR: ????? Rifle - 80dmg - 1.5 sec reload
VS: Laser Rifle- 85dmg - 2.5 sec reload
That would make the TR one twice as good as the NC in the vast majority of situations
Old 2012-02-12, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #180
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
Look at it this way. Sure the NC have the Bolt Driver. It may do slightly more damage than the other rifles. Just like all the other NC weapons but at a slower rate of fire.
That's the reason the JH was the ultimate cqc weapon in PS1, front loaded damage has a faster ttk

Think of it this way;
NC 50 dmg 2 second fire
TR 25 dmg 1 second fire

Overtime these do the same dps, in practice the NC kills in 2 seconds, the TR takes 4, they both get to do any dmg over 100 on 4 seconds.

Same with the old JH and MCG, they were balanced over time; in the field the JH was far superior.

I'm not saying it's not possible to balance these, but dmg/RoF do not play as well with eachother as you think.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion