Kill Cams - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Accept this quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-05, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: Kill Cams

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
IF they made your asses stare at a black screen for several seconds everytime you died awaiting to respawn, every last one of you would be asking for a kill-cam.
No actually I kind of like that idea. It would certainly be way better than kill cams, maybe they could give us a swirly death tunnel thing like they had in Shadowbane or a cut scene of our new clone being activated.
Old 2011-10-05, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
Graywolves
General

Likewise, I already provide myself with things to do over the respawn in Planetside.

I personally am not interested in a Kill-cam in the form it is in most games.
Old 2011-10-05, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
MockZero2
Private

A kill cam would most certainly make that respawn time a easier to bear. I know PS2 is going to be a lot faster paced but i would have given up an implant slot to use 10 sc of my respawn time to become a better player.
Old 2011-10-05, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Likewise, I already provide myself with things to do over the respawn in Planetside.
I hated the respawn in Planetside. Not saying that a kill cam is the answer, I just hated how in Planetside you couldn't check the global map or do much of anything after hitting respawn.

I always thought that the respawn timer should count down from the moment you died, not the moment you chose a respawn location. If it reaches zero before you've picked a location, you'd be able to instantly respawn wherever you chose.

It would have made waiting for a medic to res you a lot more common since it woudn't detract from your ability to respawn quickly elsewhere.
Old 2011-10-05, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Unless someone is dolphin diving in the kill cam, seeing a CR5 pull out his command thing and look to the horizon only to see an Orbital laser. Seems anti climatic.

Waste of space, open up the map or other interface options. Spawn time was an efficient method to get jack shit done, or grab a snack. Frankly, I'm not that hungry after I die 10 times.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2011-10-06, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
Dahlian
Private

I guess killcam can have it's uses, but...

I'm not convinced killcam is the most ideal learning tool. Actually, I think providing post-death statistics on what weapons hit you and the area they hit is alot more important.

If for example you got hit by 3 weapons, it can show in percentage how much each weapon dealt to you, and to what body parts. This would let you know what setups/weapons/ammo to look out for.

The location damage would be helpful to see what parts of you wasn't behind cover. And if the post-screen could even show which direction each shot hit the body, it'd be everything you need.

I belive this will give you alot more situational awareness than showing a trollface enemy on your screen for five secs. It would also prevent you from having effortless intel on the enemy. I don't belive a sniper doing his job should be punished for it.

This would also make alot more sense and create better immersion. Seeing as your body is reconstructed after death, the signal that puts this into motion probably would inform you how you died as well. Without having to resort to gameshow esque floaty cam of your enemy, dispelling the illusion of warfare.

I'll go one further. Killcam works in BF and COD because the maps and battleflow are rather static. The angles of the battles doesn't change and you learn all the little hiding spots quicker. PS has a bigger world and will be more dynamic in its flow. If the continent is anywhere near PS1 size, a killcam won't help you much. You'll rarely be fighting the exact same battle in the same place. However, giving you more direct info on several elements that lead to your unavoidable death can help you understand the game flow faster.

Last edited by Dahlian; 2011-10-06 at 07:01 PM.
Old 2011-10-06, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
Tiberius
Corporal

I hate kill cams, the last thing I want to do is relive how I just got owned lol
Old 2011-10-06, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dahlian View Post
I guess killcam can have it's uses, but...

(rest of post)
That sounds a lot more useful than a kill cam. That could be pretty cool as a way of keeping track of what happened in a really crazy firefight.

Fits in with the high amount of statistics that the devs plan to make available.
Old 2011-10-07, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
That sounds a lot more useful than a kill cam. That could be pretty cool as a way of keeping track of what happened in a really crazy firefight.

Fits in with the high amount of statistics that the devs plan to make available.
What he suggest is a kill cam.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
What he suggest is a kill cam.
Okay, I mean a more traditional kill cam. What he suggests sounds more like a kill screen, with more information than cinematics.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #176
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

That gives you the same information. His is just giving you numbers instead of a video of what happened. Making it that much harder to understand. No noob is going to want to see all these numbers they aren't going to actually use that has a tool. Most your going to get is "the fuck is this? Oh that's cool i guess tells me how many times I just got shot in the back..."

You may get 1 or 2 noobs that actually use this as a tool. But a kill cam they'll use right away with no instruction to do so from anyone. And people saying they hate seeing how they died. Make it so you can skip the kill cam, which I'm sure they did.

People are making it seem like it's going to be so abused by the players base. But I know I don't use the kill cams in any game unless I get the fuck just happened scenario. And once your experience that doesn't happen often. If the game has any bullet direction indicators you already know where the guy is. It takes an experience player a very short amount of time to figure out what is going on around them. When they die 80% of the time even if they do get ambushed they see their killer and are probably just gonna skip the kill cam.
Old 2011-10-07, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #177
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I believe this falls back to Higby's ol' "If it sucks in beta, it's gone" statements.

Let's see how annoying/exploitable/skipable it is before we get too bent out of shape about it.

Speculation and expressing personal preference are great, within reason.

I think threads like this are at their best when they are kicking around how things might be, or how they could hypothetically be handled. That's the best we can do with what little information we have and it can actually be somewhat productive occasionally. Blindly hating on things or dismissing them out of hand isn't so productive, but at least it is usually followed by a more interesting discussion.
Old 2011-10-07, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #178
Dahlian
Private

@ Xslideshow

Actually, its not the same. Kill-cam only shows you the location of the person to last-hit you, not how much damage others did specifically.

And no it would not be as revealing as a kill-cam. Indicating that you were shot in the back only tells the direction, but you don't see where he's taking cover, know his distance or if he was on the move. Which means you have alot of ground to cover if your going to find him. His motives remains hidden. Was he going east or west? Was he crouching/camping? Was he in open terrain or behind obstacles? Etc.

I think you underestimate peoples intelligence. It's not hard to understand that weapon A took 30 % and Weapon B 70%. But this largely comes down to how the data is presented. A good way to deliver such info is keeping it simple on the surface with additional stats revealed as you click around.

If it annoys or gets in the way as players advance, there could always be a option to turn it off without putting players at a disadvantage.

Last edited by Dahlian; 2011-10-07 at 09:26 AM.
Old 2011-10-07, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #179
Redshift
Major

maybe it should cut to a screen of a gravestone in a peaceful field with some lass crying into a handkerchief, all done in 8-bit graphics.... That would do it for me

I too am a little concerned about kill cams for some classes, zooming directly into a sniper or a cloaker would just seem to negate the classes defences. Maybe kill cams for some classes and super slow-mo replays of you getting pwned for other classes
Old 2011-10-07, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #180
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dahlian View Post
@ Xslideshow

Actually, its not the same. Kill-cam only shows you the location of the person to last-hit you, not how much damage others did specifically.

And no it would not be as revealing as a kill-cam. Indicating that you were shot in the back only tells the direction, but you don't see where he's taking cover, know his distance or if he was on the move. Which means you have alot of ground to cover if your going to find him. His motives remains hidden. Was he going east or west? Was he crouching/camping? Was he in open terrain or behind obstacles? Etc.

I think you underestimate peoples intelligence. It's not hard to understand that weapon A took 30 % and Weapon B 70%. But this largely comes down to how the data is presented. A good way to deliver such info is keeping it simple on the surface with additional stats revealed as you click around.

If it annoys or gets in the way as players advance, there could always be a option to turn it off without putting players at a disadvantage.
Would see where the shots hit. And who else was hitting you... Why would you need all this data telling you the exact amount of damage you took? You are dead. You know how much damage you took, enough to kill you. Odds are if there is more than one guy there is nothing you could have done. So this data is rather useless.

I don't underestimate peoples intelligence I'm looking at it logically. Put yourself in the shoes of a 13 year old who just got this game. He is now slain, he is not going to want to look at a spreadsheet with a whole bunch of numbers on it just to find out in the end. It performs the same basic function as a kill cam. The information your also talking about giving to players also doesn't really help them get better does it? It just tells them what weapons to look out for. Which they probably could have learned that same thing from looking at the kill spam. On the direction of the bullets, you are also gonna know cause guess what Planetside 2 is almost 100% gonna have? Bullet indicators... So before you died. You've already obtained this information.

Better players are not going to use the kill cam to find locations of enemies. Cause odds are they knew where they were before they died. Your intent was still compromised, you killed some one they know your there. They don't need a kill cam to figure out they died and that there is an enemy lurking around.

The only people who should really be worried about a kill cam is snipers and if they are implemented in the way Higby has suggested with a taunt then... none of what you've said really matters.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2011-10-07 at 04:20 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion