Don't dumb down PS2 - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its alive!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-08, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #166
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Re: Don't dumb down PS2

Why are people posting in this thread.

There are two possible outcomes for this.

1) He's just a brilliant troll, and all this is very entertaining.
2) He's pants shitting retarded. And eitherway you'll never be able up against a retard fuelled argument and win. He'll just ignore or flat out deny any valid points you make, while repeating the same broken logic with his.

But sure guys, carry on. This is all amusing.

Last edited by NoDachi; 2012-07-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Vehicles weren't nerfed in BF2, they were full rape machines.
No way. Before the AV buff/vehicle nerf infantry could take out vehicles just fine. Besides a tank that isn't a rape machine is just a glorified buggy.

As for BF3, vehicles were nerfed to cater to CoD infantry focus players.
Well the COD infantry players can go stuff it, they have no idea how their preferences make games even worse.

What CoD game mode has random spawning that you are referring to?
All of them. Guess you didn't notice how players spawn behind you in COD multiplayer games. The map is small enough as it is without enemies spawning in behind you and shooting you in the back.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #168
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post
Why are people posting in this thread.

There are too possible outcomes for this.

1) He's just a brilliant troll, and all this is very entertaining.
2) He's pants shitting retarded. And eitherway you'll never be able up against a retard fuelled argument and win. He'll just ignore or flat out deny any valid points you make, while repeating the same broken logic with his.

But sure guys, carry on. This is all amusing.
It's why I stopped responding, heh. Bickering back and forth with someone that will bullet point every single sentence and return fire with a paragraph response to each is only entertaining for a little while, then it just gets tiring because you soon realize every paragraph is the same exact topic rehashed with different words.

Only this time the guy doesn't bother with the long fluff paragraphs, just their bluntly obvious inability to see anything any other way than their way.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #169
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
1. No way. Before the AV buff/vehicle nerf infantry could take out vehicles just fine. Besides a tank that isn't a rape machine is just a glorified buggy.

Well the COD infantry players can go stuff it, they have no idea how their preferences make games even worse.

2. All of them. Guess you didn't notice how players spawn behind you in COD multiplayer games. The map is small enough as it is without enemies spawning in behind you and shooting you in the back.
1. What BF2 nerf are you talking about? I've been playing it since 2005 and tanks rape in 2012 as much as ever.
2. Well, I don't play CoD, but does CoD even have any objective based modes that involve capturing flags/capture points similar to Conquest? If it does, and there's random spawning, yes, that's dumb. Note that squad spawning isn't random. But note also the CoD is mostly a deathmatch game even if it does have objective based modes, and deathmatch modes typically do focus on random spawn points.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #170
ITOS
Corporal

The AMS had a cloak for a damn good reason: it was the best way to balance infantry vs. vehicles [snip]
Perhaps you missed the disclaimer?

It is my firm belief that most developments we've seen in new competitive games have both been removing old strategies and brought forth new ones. If one only see what is lost and not the possible gains, it is easy to regard a change as "dumbing down". That said, there are always shades of grey but no need to cry wolf before we see what players are actually capable of coming up with.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #171
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Combat Engineer build: Punisher, EMP grenades, Anti-Infantry bullets, Heavy Armor

When the game first came out, before everyone and their pet hamster had CR5, defenders would place a bunch of mines in the courtyard. It was hard to push through. In the middle of the battle usually it was cloak-miners, I use to do that too hehe.

So I'd arrive with my Combat Engineer setup, hide behind either the base walls or that barrier and lob EMP grenades from my Punisher into the ground. Occasionally I would see a cloaker die as their mines they layed blew them up. It was cool.

The bang-bus is not cool. The EMP OS is not cool. In fact they are pretty lame, dumbed down, boring.

Originally Posted by ITOS View Post
Perhaps you missed the disclaimer?

It is my firm belief that most developments we've seen in new competitive games have both been removing old strategies and brought forth new ones.
Strategy involves what base to attack. Strategy is macro, tactics is micro.

If one only see what is lost and not the possible gains, it is easy to regard a change as "dumbing down". That said, there are always shades of grey but no need to cry wolf before we see what players are actually capable of coming up with.
No, it's dumbed down when the only valid tactic left is FRONTAL ASSAULT.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #172
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
Got to call you out on that one. Star Wars games are irrelevant to the Star Wars logo since it is not in the same industry. I'm pretty sure if there was a shitty Diablo film it would fail.

The Star Wars prequels were absolute crap as most film critics will tell you, and yet they made a huge amount of money for them. Thus proving that your point is not necessarily the case. It was very weak of you to try and justify your claim by taking something from one medium and saying how much of a flop it is in another, whilst using it to back up your point regarding two things in the same medium.

The reason they flopped is because they didn't cross, and it is even more prevalent the other way around, when they try to turn games into movies rather than the other way around. So bringing up the difficult transition between the Star Wars franchise from movie to game is irrelevant when we are talking about an entity existing entirely in gaming.
I also pointed out final fantasy which pretty makes all of what you said invalid as it is a video game franchise and not a movie. Thanks for playing tho.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #173
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

1. What BF2 nerf are you talking about? I've been playing it since 2005 and tanks rape in 2012 as much as ever.
2. Well, I don't play CoD, but does CoD even have any objective based modes that involve capturing flags/capture points similar to Conquest? If it does, and there's random spawning, yes, that's dumb. Note that squad spawning isn't random. But note also the CoD is mostly a deathmatch game even if it does have objective based modes, and deathmatch modes typically do focus on random spawn points.
I was talking about the PS1 AV buff.

There's CTF in COD, and yes believe it or not your spawn points are chosen randomly by the server even if it's right next to an enemy flag. Pretty lame huh. Great graphics, cool physics, totally lame meta game.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
Stardouser
Colonel

I was talking about the PS1 AV buff.

There's CTF in COD, and yes believe it or not your spawn points are chosen randomly by the server even if it's right next to an enemy flag. Pretty lame huh. Great graphics, cool physics, totally lame meta game.
Ah, yes. I share your concern that tanks will be weaker against infantry than they should be. Too many lock on infantry AV weapons and too powerful.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

No 3rd person camera, great news, see I'm not a total Negative Nelly.

Ah, yes. I share your concern that tanks will be weaker against infantry than they should be. Too many lock on infantry AV weapons and too powerful.
I use to enjoy playing AV, even before the AV buff. It was a challenge. It was especially enjoyable to bait heavy tanks into my minefields

Find some good cover, shoot them with AV, duck, shoot again, duck, they drive straight at you and run over 5 mines, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM KABOOM!

The cloaked AMS behind me helps this infantry anti-vehicle setup.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #176
TAA
Staff Sergeant

No, it's dumbed down when the only valid tactic left is FRONTAL ASSAULT.
This certainly wont be the case. Like all games with armor the general rule will apply - whoever controls the armor controls the game. Even though armor cant capture the bases, controlling enemy access to and use of armor will be very important. For example, if you can prevent an enemy from moving their tanks into the capture area then your tanks will rip their infantry to shreds.

You cant spawn tanks or aircraft on top of each other in the middle of nowhere. That is what really matters.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #177
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

I liked PS1 ATV's, except for the part where I was always constantly dying to mines. 1 mine, BOOM. lol, there was always 1 mine somewhere.

This could have easily been fixed by allowing the ATV to be immune to mines.

Cloaking ATV, awesome. Running over a lone mine, not so awesome.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-07-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #178
Stardouser
Colonel

No 3rd person camera, great news, see I'm not a total Negative Nelly.

I use to enjoy playing AV, even before the AV buff. It was a challenge. It was especially enjoyable to bait heavy tanks into my minefields

Find some good cover, shoot them with AV, duck, shoot again, duck, they drive straight at you and run over 5 mines, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM KABOOM!

The cloaked AMS behind me helps this infantry anti-vehicle setup.
I think vehicles should be noticeably higher in the food chain than infantry, certainly on open ground, although cover should reverse it a bit. Being able to take cover should allow infantry to achieve a bit of separation from vehicles as well, especially aircraft, but if we have anything like 3D spotting that will allow aircraft to strafe even infantry who are under tree cover.

Now, if we had laser designation that allowed aircraft to drop missiles onto people who are in cover, guided by a friendly with a designator, sure, that's great, but 3D spotting letting everyone for 500 meters see and zerg fire, no thanks.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #179
SgtMAD
Captain

I liked PS1 ATV's, except for the part where I was always constantly dying to mines. 1 mine, BOOM. lol, there was always 1 mine somewhere.

This could have easily been fixed by allowing the ATV to be immune to mines.

Cloaking ATV, awesome. Running over a lone mine, not so awesome.

LOL , and this guy is worried about "dumbing down" PS2,as if making any veh immune to mines isn't dumbing the game down.

if you are dumb enough to run over a mine then you should die, its a simple idea that doesn't require nerfing someone else's game experience/playstyle.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #180
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

EDIT: Screw what I said before, I'm just repeating someone else.

ANOTHER EDIT: I don't feel like making a new post, but it's worth it to point out that Buggsy's only arguments are pretty much "OMG SQUAD SPAWNING WILL MAKE PEOPLE BE EVERYWHERE AROUND ME AND IT'S COD OMG". We barely know what squad spawning will be like, and what we do know makes it severely limited compared to other games (like BF3). Furthermore, this could change a lot in the beta if people are unhappy.

Last edited by GLaDOS; 2012-07-08 at 11:13 AM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion