SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Give blood to your heart's content.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-13, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #166
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units

Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
For those of you arguing that you don't need naval vehicles because you have aircraft, it's just like saying you don't need land vehicles because you have aircraft. Why bring a tank or a sundie, when you can bring air cav or a galaxy?

As for the mobile spawn point naval vessels, I don't think they should be destroyable. The defenses on them yes, just like any other base. You take it over, and it's yours. This would give people more reason to go after them. If there's a limited number of naval bases, you can bet people will fight over them. Forget continent locking, imagine trying to take control of the entire navy. This in addition to stationary resource well bases would make the ocean just as viable for combat as ground.
I understand what your saying...I must say that I do find it a little silly that you couldn't destroy an aircraft carrier. If shipyards/naval bases were not plentiful and the GVC (ground vehicle carrier) and AC (aircraft carrier) are quite costly to make in terms of resources....and all my other parameter mentions are met....I think people will fight over the carriers and not just destroy them.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Masterr View Post
I understand what your saying...I must say that I do find it a little silly that you couldn't destroy an aircraft carrier. If shipyards/naval bases were not plentiful and the GVC (ground vehicle carrier) and AC (aircraft carrier) are quite costly to make in terms of resources....and all my other parameter mentions are met....I think people will fight over the carriers and not just destroy them.
Exactly... If you can CAPTURE an enemy AC, that'd be a HUGE resource swing.

You'd have to disable multiple systems, which they have the ability to repair (takes time? probably activate some AI nanobots to repair which takes time to repair component... enemy can come back and hack to stop repair)

After all systems are disabled, you can then hack the command bridge which would be the last system.

Once captured, you then need to repair all the systems.

They'd also be destroyable I'd think, but they'd take a LOT of punishment... a LOT. however being disabled is a far bigger risk.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #168
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post

You'd have to disable multiple systems, which they have the ability to repair (takes time? probably activate some AI nanobots to repair which takes time to repair component... enemy can come back and hack to stop repair)

After all systems are disabled, you can then hack the command bridge which would be the last system.

They'd also be destroyable I'd think, but they'd take a LOT of punishment... a LOT. however being disabled is a far bigger risk.
Me and a friend have been thinking up some more naval combat ideas and ideas for seamless continents it so much its worhty of its own thread, ill make it some time soon.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #169
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Masterr View Post
Ohhh now there's a concern. The devs might make naval bases uncappable which would mean that you can't deny ship spawns to the enemy by capturing them.

Obviously we don't even have a framework in place to inject ideas into, but one idea I was thinking is that, by the time we have this, we're likely to have more than 3 continents, and, since the planet would be seamless, there would be no need for uncapturable footholds on each continent; each empire would have one uncapturable base located somewhere on the entire planet.

There could be several naval bases per continent and each naval base could have the ability to spawn say, the aircraft carriers and heavy naval cruisers as well as lighter ships and landing craft. The heavier ships could have a long cooldown, whatever is necessary, whether that's an hour, 6 hours, or even 24 hours. Whatever it takes. Or, the heavier ships could also somehow be tied into the outfit system, so that you don't have a situation where one outfit pulls the ship and everyone else is SOL. And of course the lighter ships could have much shorter cooldowns, especially landing craft. Landing craft perhaps would only have a 5 minute cooldown, if you have exhausted your heavier ships you could still try to do invasions using landing craft plus air cover.

Think about this scenario:

There are 9 continents by the time naval ships come in.
1. 3 of the continents contain an uncappable home base of the empires.

2. Each uncappable home base is also a naval base, guaranteeing a minimum level of naval ship availability.

3. In addition, throughout all the 9 continents, there would be 3(for example) other naval bases per continent, for a total of 27. Let's just say, 6 of them are capable of spawning aircraft carriers and heavy cruisers, the rest of them are more minor and can only spawn landing assault craft, destroyer sized ships, torpedo boats, that kind of thing.

4. Capturing more naval bases for your empire could have various effects: It could reduce the empire-wide or outfit based cooldown on heavy ships, or it could literally provide an extra spawn point with its own separate cooldown.

The above isn't perfect because it could cause the "rich get richer poor get poorer" issue, however I invite anyone to come up with alternative ideas.

And just as an aside, I would expect that unless an aircraft carrier is running organized scouting or other types of protective maneuvers, a squadron of 10 destroyers(which to me, would be 2-3 crew members at most) ought to be able to zerg one down. Also, it's the future, destroyers would be quite fast compared to a carrier...

Additionally, there would have to be a choice between heavier ships being automatically shown on the radar in order to balance them and allow them to be found for combat, or not showing them and forcing scouting missions. I do not say this lightly, but I do think it might be necessary to do this.

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post

As you say, they'd be capturable too, through infantry assault. For balance purposes I'd like to think that acquiring one in this manner would trigger your own empire's cooldown...after all, you just took one away from the enemy and they are probably suffering a cooldown.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-08-13 at 12:45 AM.
Old 2012-08-13, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #170
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Ive worked 27 days in a row now and my brain is mushified so I apologise for throwing out a half developed concept.
haha your forgiven!
Old 2012-08-13, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #171
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Yep, right now we simply don't have the hardware for that type of thing, but in 5-6 years? Quite likely. I look forward to it.
Lolwut? Of course we have the hardware for that. We do AND they do. Unless you are sitting on a dell from 1998, most quad core processors with a decent GPU behind it could handle something like that.

Its not tough. DayZ does it with crappier graphics, and people on crap computers can run that. They could definitely have something like this in planetside 2.
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-08-13, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #172
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

allright gents what we basicly need to stop swiveling in a circle is a proper frame work, certain key points would have to be worked out in terms of gameplay mechanics, gameplay fun, plausibility and co.

i think we should take advice from other games who implemented similar concepts rather well, as an example eve online.

So lets say for the first question : Why would we need a Navy? - why do we have navies in real life?

we have aircraft that can fly around the entire globe with air refuel, BUT that is more costly that shipping 100 aircraft fighters around the globe, and also they take way way longer to get there. So as a basis the amoun t of water between the continenents has to be large enough to be an inconvenience for a player to fly there on his own, but also small enough that if you actualy deploy a slow moving navy force it wont take you 2 hours of silly /no action happening/ shipping to see any land ahead.

And it also must be valuable enough to have a reason for aircraft to get to the continent rather quick, which is the main reason for a Carrier to be deployed.

Then again there is no point in having a navy consisting out of carriers alone, you would want at least 3-4 different types of larger vessels in style of a galaxy that are multi person manned with alot of turrets and act as mobile spawn.

But in terms of gameplay nobody is going to use the navies if there is no combat, no enemies or no fun in it whihc means the navy combat would have to be channeled, because having navies possible to deploy in the entire ocean around continents does not only spread out players and take them away from land combat drasticaly it also spreads them out on far more square kilometers than we have land and it would be mroe than likely that the fleets miss each other on their way. which ofc wouldnt be good.

so you need semi narrow shipping lanes that are flankt by out of bounds areas between continents to actualy focus some navy action.

but as mentione,d it spreads population so without increasing the pop cap on servers this would have a major negativ effect on the game at the same time.

There are alot of details that would need to be fleshed out accordingly and i thinkwe can forgett about water based combat if the server cap stays the same.
Old 2012-08-13, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #173
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Why would I want to fight navy? Navy ships would be in the ocean. Im not a fucking fish. I like to fight on land where everything is happening. So whats the point of a navy if youre just trolling around in the ocean?
Your outfit will be all over the naval scene when one comes around, so don't argue too hard against them

Old 2012-08-13, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
Pancake
Sergeant

I would love to be a Captain!

Starboard men! Faster you fish brained scallywags! Prepare the Port cannons!
Old 2012-08-13, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
3. In addition, throughout all the 9 continents, there would be 3(for example) other naval bases per continent, for a total of 27. Let's just say, 6 of them are capable of spawning aircraft carriers and heavy cruisers, the rest of them are more minor and can only spawn landing assault craft, destroyer sized ships, torpedo boats, that kind of thing.

4. Capturing more naval bases for your empire could have various effects: It could reduce the empire-wide or outfit based cooldown on heavy ships, or it could literally provide an extra spawn point with its own separate cooldown.

The above isn't perfect because it could cause the "rich get richer poor get poorer" issue, however I invite anyone to come up with alternative ideas.

And just as an aside, I would expect that unless an aircraft carrier is running organized scouting or other types of protective maneuvers, a squadron of 10 destroyers(which to me, would be 2-3 crew members at most) ought to be able to zerg one down. Also, it's the future, destroyers would be quite fast compared to a carrier...

Additionally, there would have to be a choice between heavier ships being automatically shown on the radar in order to balance them and allow them to be found for combat, or not showing them and forcing scouting missions. I do not say this lightly, but I do think it might be necessary to do this.
as for #3, i would like to see bases on different continents enable players to spawn certain units. for example one continent's base can spawn destroyers and 2 man subs, another can depoy 1 man subs (like lightnings) and patrol boats while another allows battleships (5 man?) and aircraft carriers (galaxy passenger size?)

^^ would more or less solve what having more bases does for an empire and would encourage empires to take over certain facilities on certain continents.

dont think scouting missions will be especially needed as most times ships will be travelling straight lines from point A to point B. perhaps having AC always show on radar since they will likely be able to spawn units as well as players and could sit off in the middle of the ocean just spawning waves of aircraft and small boats never being found; although that could be a part of the game that would lead to more tactical play.

ships i was thinking of were:
-1 man jetskis
-2 man patrol boats (pilot gets a MG, passenger gets rotating turret to be customized for AA or torpedoes)
-3 man destroyers (pilot with dual front facing guns, a forward turret and a rear turret which can be customized for torpedoes)
-5 man battleships (pilot= no weapon, forward turret, rear turret and a turret on each side. none of which get torpedoes)
-10 man Aircraft Carrier (pilot= no weapon, one front turret, one rear turret, neither torpedo compatible. the rest of the spots are for spawning jet skis or liberators/fighters.
-12 man transport boat (im thinking a sunderer type boat, possibly even a certed sundered made for use in the water)
-1 man submarine (quick, low armor, 4 torpedo sub)
-2 man submarine (slower, more armored, 4 torpedoes for pilot, turret for passenger, torpedo/gun customizable)

when AC passenger selects a liberator, it should queue up so that other passengers can switch seats or simply select it to load into it. and then the pilot can launch it. or just launch it right away.

all torpedo turrets would have 4 torpedoes before needing a reload as they will be lock on or free fired high damage weapons. lock on could do slightly less than a free fired one to balance skillfull use vs ease of use.

AC carriers could act as repair and rearm points as well, making them a nessecary part of any sea assault. but to balance this each faction could only have say 5 at any one time, and cost massive amounts to build and have a long cooldown.

Last edited by Duskguy; 2012-08-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 2012-08-13, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #176
Artimus
Master Sergeant

So you are going to sit in the middle of the ocean on your aircraft carrier and what? Watch the algae grow? If I wanted to see algae I would read more of your posts.
Well there could be capture points in the ocean, and bays and ports that will give access to different parts of a continent. just a thought.
Old 2012-08-13, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #177
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post

^^ would more or less solve what having more bases does for an empire and would encourage empires to take over certain facilities on certain continents.

ships i was thinking of were:
-1 man jetskis
-2 man patrol boats (pilot gets a MG, passenger gets rotating turret to be customized for AA or torpedoes)
-3 man destroyers (pilot with dual front facing guns, a forward turret and a rear turret which can be customized for torpedoes)
-5 man battleships (pilot= no weapon, forward turret, rear turret and a turret on each side. none of which get torpedoes)
-10 man Aircraft Carrier (pilot= no weapon, one front turret, one rear turret, neither torpedo compatible. the rest of the spots are for spawning jet skis or liberators/fighters.
-12 man transport boat (im thinking a sunderer type boat, possibly even a certed sundered made for use in the water)
-1 man submarine (quick, low armor, 4 torpedo sub)
-2 man submarine (slower, more armored, 4 torpedoes for pilot, turret for passenger, torpedo/gun customizable)
See, I'm not sure exactly how to do bases from a standpoint of rich get richer....if there are multiple bases that allow aircraft carriers/battleships and you cap them all, that could allow one empire to spawn several where the other 2 can only spawn one from their planetary uncap.

Then again, maybe that's not a big problem. You see, as far an aircraft carrier, right now we have a situation where you can spawn an unlimited amount of aircraft from your warpgate. Aircraft carriers can't go inland, so by definition they would always be farther away than the warpgates are now. Yes I'm aware that under my above idea I assumed that footholds would be removed, so technically the aircraft carriers would let you spawn a lot of aircraft off a coast, but, if ACs are always on the radar, then, go kill them...

either way, the key is to find a balance between letting every outfit have an occasional chance to command a battleship or aircraft carrier but not allowing them to be too spammed. And yes, I did say outfit, I don't know if non-outfit individuals should be able to spawn battleships, especially if they are empire-level assets.

And this reminds me : there should be no instant seat switching in battleships and carriers. You hit E to leave your station, say, the pilot station on a battleship, you will have to run 20-30-50 whatever meters to enter the main gun turret station.

Now, also, I believe we're going to note that we have a situation where falling off a ship means sinking like a rock, except for light assault. This would make LA the king of infantry combat aboard ships. Other classes could play but they would basically be stuck on the same ship they spawn on, except to the extent people use Galaxies or the small transport boats to ferry the heavier classes to other ships. Which, could be a good idea if you're planning to defend them from infantry assault. However, the more you defend your ships against infantry assault by putting infantry on them, the easier you make it for the enemy to decide to blow your ship up instead of capturing it.

also, I think we might need to design ships with some compartmentalized damage mechanics. That is, a certain number of hits to the turret would destroy(or temporarily disable) that turret, a certain number of hits to the engine area would slow the ship. Especially relevant for battleships, because you definitely won't want one sitting unopposed off your coast. It can't go inland but it definitely would be able to pound the hell out of coastal bases.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-08-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 2012-08-13, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #178
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

@stardouser - Naval bases need to be cappable. If a base either provides resources or provides spawns, it needs to be contested over.

As far as people having a naval base that can't be capped....I have another idea.

There will be 3 home continents.....Now on these continents...everything is contestable except for the "home warpgate". So in theory you can push a faction to its home warpgate and take over its home continent. (pushing an enemy to it's warpgate, is a current game mechanic...just think that in the entire planet there are 3 warpgates)

Naval bases will be capped by infantry of course...so if the continent your on is under attack and you don't have a navy, grab some tanks/aircraft/infantry and take back the naval base. Once taken...you can have a navy again.

Your idea of compartmentalized damage....i like it. Disarm an AC and try to take it over.

@Dusk guy - Idk about submarines man....everything else is good but subs would be a pain technically and I think are a bit unnecessary. If they do it though...I won't cry about it.

@Ivam - The "water needs to be big enough to be a pain to fly over" idea is not a very good one. Planes are faster than ships...much faster. If the ocean is that huge it would be very boring to be in the navy. Which is why I propose the Aircraft needs Fuel mechanic...once over water, its in a previous post. That will make it impossible for aircraft to fly from continent to continent. Aircraft carriers will have nanite rings floating above their ships, fly through it, you get refueled and resupplied.

Looks like I'm gonna have to make my own thread. lots of ideas to be put out and things to be addressed.

Last edited by Masterr; 2012-08-13 at 09:33 AM.
Old 2012-08-13, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #179
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Yep, right now we simply don't have the hardware for that type of thing, but in 5-6 years? Quite likely. I look forward to it.
Uh... The world has the tech right now. In the MMO space, its been done for years. Disk streaming is old hat.
Old 2012-08-13, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #180
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

what if ships could take x amount of hits, but a hit or two (depending on the ship) in the rear would make turning slower, the middle of the ship would reduce speed while the front would just do damage.

as for turret damage, i would say only put it onto the battleships and AC as their turrets would be bigger than those of the smaller ships.

i was working under the idea of pilots not being able to switch turrets at all, just the passengers. however i think it could work out if the pilot could only switch while at a beach/dock/coast, etc. just the fact that you would have to be on or near land.

as for the AC always showing up, perhaps only when a vehicle is being launched it would show up. the defense to this being that enemies cant just "go kill it" because it has defensive turrets, will have at least a heavy amount of armor from above the waterline and will have it's own aircraft being launched that can defend it.

as for players exiting ships, perhaps a floatation device type of cert that would allow them to swim. the LA would obviously be the biggest naval asset as they would be able to float as well as fly, and could have a cert that allows faster movment through water instead of flight.

and figure that that, even if one empire has all the AC naval spawns, that means its likely that another has destroyers and yet another has subs.

way i was seeing it was:
-jetskis and transports are mainly for travel.
-patrol boats for taking out jetkis and to some degree, subs while providing light support (kind of like a lightning)
-destroyers would be slower than a PB, more armored, and be able to counter PBs and larger subs and to some degree when in larger number, battleships and AC.
-Battleships- would be the main end all for above water ships and land artillery support but be vulnerable to subs and torpedoes in general.
-Aircraft Carriers would be spawn and support based, resupplying and repairing ships and aircraft, but having no true offensive armament, and so being vulnerable to mainly torpedoes and battleships and liberators
-both subs would be vulnerable to destroyers, patrol boats and other subs, but be direct counters to battleships and AC and to some degree destroyers and PBs

and as defensive armamnents against torpedoes, i would say that a heavy caliber turret should be able to destroy them if shot a few times and the release of something like a sonar depth charge to destroy them, to act like flares. i say shooting them because unlike a jet that can break lock on missiles, a ship wont be able to do that, and the gunner would have to locate the torpedo first anyway.

and like the sunderers cant repair each other, an AC would have to travel to a beach and have engineers repair, or go to a dock, or naval yard or whatever they end up calling ship spawn points.

also i said earlier that all torpedo turrets would have 4 shots. to distinguish a destroyer from a patrol boat, it would either need stronger torpedoes or more since it's main job would be taking out subs

edit: yeah, subs are a stretch, but if done right as i said above, everything would have a proper counter. not sure hoe exactly you would counter battleships without a sub.

Last edited by Duskguy; 2012-08-13 at 09:49 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion