News: Bolt Driver - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Y'know, Marsman approves these, too.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-12, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #181
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Bolt Driver

These where just examples to help explain my point. My numbers were not meant to be taken seriously. If SOE went that route they could adjust the numbers accordingly.

Old 2012-02-12, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #182
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
These where just examples to help explain my point. My numbers were not meant to be taken seriously. If SOE went that route they could adjust the numbers accordingly.
yea same with mine, just illustrating, but the point stands, it's very hard to balance with just those two things, near enough always the front loaded dmg is better
Old 2012-02-12, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Just realised. VS sniper wont have drop off because it will be a laser, as with all their weapons. But will probably do less damage.... hmmmm? Im kindof a single bolt sniper guy, better be able to mod my Phaser biatches!
Old 2012-02-13, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #184
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
Just realised. VS sniper wont have drop off because it will be a laser, as with all their weapons. But will probably do less damage.... hmmmm? Im kindof a single bolt sniper guy, better be able to mod my Phaser biatches!
Won't have drop off but VS will have severe damage degradation at range.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #185
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Won't have drop off but VS will have severe damage degradation at range.
For a SNIPER!?

I highly doubt that. Easier to just make it a plasma ball or something that drops and travels around bullet speed.
Old 2012-02-13, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #186
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

This gun reminds me that I want lots of options of ammo in Planet Side 2, standard fulll metal jacketed, Armor piercing, and most importantly for large caliber weapons like this sniper riffle say .50 cal equivalent and larger HE high explosive round. This semi auto riffle with HE rounds would be awesome it would not kill high armor targets as easily like REXO and MAX with the AP ammo but it would be great for light infantry that you are over killing with the AP or standard with a .50 cal so you can hit and kill on one shot or severely wound with an explosive and hit other light targets around them to. Totally futuristic sniping! Also I saw the picture of the grenade launcher attached to the gauss riffle GREAT JOB! But like the different kind of grenades you can use with it please don't forget the different kinds or shot gun shells there are to. Standard buck in at least 3 different size of sprays like the NC MAX also great job by the way, AP, Slug, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY AGAIN HE with spring loaded stabilizer fins.....This is a real shot gun round by the way so they should totally have a very powerful improved version in the far future.

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-13 at 04:33 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #187
GalacticaActual
Private

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
For a SNIPER!?

I highly doubt that. Easier to just make it a plasma ball or something that drops and travels around bullet speed.
I have to agree here, giving only one of the 3 factions a Sniper rifle that's less effective over range is just crazy.

I know nothing is set but I think this is something that has been mentioned by the Higby in some form earlier in this thread.

Any damage degradation for sniper rifles should only ever be as a consequence of modding the weapon, not as part of it's basic setup. If the VS Sniper had to deal with this from word go and the other factions didn't then it would be a crazy disadvantage for the VS.
Old 2012-02-13, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #188
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

Originally Posted by GalacticaActual View Post
I have to agree here, giving only one of the 3 factions a Sniper rifle that's less effective over range is just crazy.

I know nothing is set but I think this is something that has been mentioned by the Higby in some form earlier in this thread.

Any damage degradation for sniper rifles should only ever be as a consequence of modding the weapon, not as part of it's basic setup. If the VS Sniper had to deal with this from word go and the other factions didn't then it would be a crazy disadvantage for the VS.
That's the benefit of using technology, everything you make is under-powered or doesn't work as intended.

/sarcasm.
Old 2012-02-13, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #189
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MGP View Post
I'm pretty sure, what fully upgraded NC sniper will be one-shot-kill. While other ES rifles with same upgrades will likely require multiple shots to take down target (TR one, for sure). And for snipers, the first shot damage is most important. Look at the current latest shooters, there are auto-load fast shooting sniper rifles, but almost no one is using them, everyone prefer slow shooting, more damaging types.

TL;DR Smurfs will be best snipers in PS2.
Not the right situation for real sniping. That's quick scoping and everyone prefers the single shot because you only have 1 shot to take.

The way I imagined it. Was that the NC gun would probably kill in 2 shots no matter what while the TR gun would probably kill in 2 shots if they didn't med pack. ( Pretty sure they said medkits are in?) The VS gun I dunno, I thought it was gonna be OP, cause 0 bullet drop = lol headshot.

How they balance it doesn't really matter though. The point, there is plenty of ways to accomplish it so all this NC gonna be OP cause their gun does 15 more damage is pretty silly.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 08:40 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #190
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post

The way I imagined it. Was that the NC gun would probably kill in 2 shots no matter what while the TR gun would probably kill in 2 shots if they didn't med pack.

The point, there is plenty of ways to accomplish it so all this NC gonna be OP cause their gun does 15 more damage is pretty silly.
Yea that's totally balanced.......
Old 2012-02-13, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #191
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Yea that's totally balanced.......
If the fire rate on the TR weapon is quick enough it is. I'm thinking TR gun would fire about the speed of HSR and the NC would fire at about the rate of a bolt action in CoD.

But from what Higby said that's not even how it's going to be. That could be an example of the 2 extremes at work. Maybe.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #192
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
If the fire rate on the TR weapon is quick enough it is. I'm thinking TR gun would fire about the speed of HSR and the NC would fire at about the rate of a bolt action in CoD.

But from what Higby said that's not even how it's going to be. That could be an example of the 2 extremes at work. Maybe.
HSR was pathetic compared to the bolt driver, harder hitting weapons will always have the edge
Old 2012-02-13, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

HSR was pathetic compared to the bolt driver, harder hitting weapons will always have the edge
Not comparing the HSR to the Bolt driver is the thing. I'm saying the TR weapon would still kill in 2 shots if they didn't medkit so it would probably kill in 3. So in the end the NC have to land 2 shots that invovle a pretty long refire, while the TR can fire 3 pretty rapid shots. The only reason the HSR was only bad because, the way sniping was set up.

Anyway, it was just an example. The way the described it that would be the extremes of the 2 rifles with the customization it sounds like you'll be able to pretty much create a bolt driver using the TR's Sniper Variant.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
Redshift
Major

So what you're saying is the TR have to hit more rounds more often, i.e an NC sniper will always win a sniper duel?
Old 2012-02-13, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #195
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

So what you're saying is the TR have to hit more rounds more often, i.e an NC sniper will always win a sniper duel?
No, I don't believe so, since both snipers can remain hidden until the other one is spotted and a good sniper is going to be sitting near cover. I can't predict though. All I know is that I prefer a faster shooting weapon over a hard hitting one any day. And I still win, against the hard hitting weapon.

You have to consider the range, headshot. Which is what I figure would be the major deciding factor in a sniper duel.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 10:11 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion