Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whats A-Rack!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-19, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Vehicles enter/exit animations?

Hopefully post-launch won't be a huge disaster in balancing terms so that they can get on to with the more important stuff aka vehicle animations. It's just not Planetside without them...
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-03-19, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Another vehicle entering animation topic? I personally can do without them. Half the time - they are buggy and don't look right. All the time - they are annoying.

Also, they said adding this "feature" would require the complete remodeling of all vehicles to include moving doors and interiors. Seems like a lot of time for a feature that really is not important.

Last edited by Lokster; 2012-03-19 at 12:27 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Lokster View Post
Another vehicle entering animation topic? I personally can do without them. Half the time - they are buggy and don't look right. All the time - they are annoying.

Also, they said adding this "feature" would require the complete remodeling of all vehicles to include moving doors and interiors. Seems like a lot of time for a feature that really is not important.
Immersion - not important. You heard it here first, folks.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Immersion - not important. You heard it here first, folks.
It's not as important as the thousands of other things they still need to design and balance and not frankly worth delaying launch by another 6 months.

Furthermore, I felt really "immersed" when I entered a vehicle in PS1 and my camera view shoot below the surface of the terrain into pixelated nonsense showing only the sky, if I was on the slightest hill. Or when I was gunning a gal-gunship and my character jumps out the wrong side of the plane -- every single time.

I'm telling you what -- I was completely immersed.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

not frankly worth delaying launch by another 6 months.
Yes it is. Polish is what makes games.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Yes it is. Polish is what makes games.
It's a design concept that was planned to be left out of the game altogether. The point is, there is no need to polish it. Polish other things that the devs actually want in the game...
Old 2012-03-19, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
Vancha
Colonel

It's not as important as the thousands of other things they still need to design and balance and not frankly worth delaying launch by another 6 months.

Furthermore, I felt really "immersed" when I entered a vehicle in PS1 and my camera view shoot below the surface of the terrain into pixelated nonsense showing only the sky, if I was on the slightest hill. Or when I was gunning a gal-gunship and my character jumps out the wrong side of the plane -- every single time.

I'm telling you what -- I was completely immersed.
Yeah, and cloaking occasionally bugged in PS1 too, so cloakers should be removed from PS2. Oh, lets not forget jumping. Seeing people jump up and then slide out of the ground was silly, so lets remove jumping. Then you have strafing. People who strafed teleported like crazy, so lets remove that too.

Boarding animations, when they didn't bug, worked wonderfully and served their purpose well. Holding their PS1 faults against them in regards to PS2 is pointless.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-03-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

The point is .. It's something PS2 staff scrubbed for a reason. They feel other things are far more important. As do I.

This topic has been discussed here several times, and I don't see anyone getting a different answer from the devs. Keep on keeping on tho .. I suppose it can't hurt.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

It wouldn't take much work to make it possible to add it later without pissing off everyone though.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

I have no problem with it being added later. I also like the progress bar idea in the mean time.

I just believe there are more pressing issues at hand...
Old 2012-03-19, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
Kran De Loy
Captain

Yes! A thousand times Yes!

But... not gonna happen.

I hope it gets added in, but I would also like to see a lot of other things added in that imo are much more awesome.

Like someone's idea of making those uncapturable warp points capturable after they've finished adding in Naval battles and off-shore bases.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-19 at 01:40 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
Vancha
Colonel

Oh, certainly. Making the game playable and polishing the core aspects of the game to retain the initial playerbase is of course the priority. I just think calling it unimportant underestimates it's impact (I mentioned this in the gun suppression thread).

My only worry is that their system in the mean time won't lend itself to being "upgraded" to boarding animations.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #193
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Yeah, and cloaking occasionally bugged in PS1 too, so cloakers should be removed from PS2. Oh, lets not forget jumping. Seeing people jump up and then slide out of the ground was silly, so lets remove jumping. Then you have strafing. People who strafed teleported like crazy, so lets remove that too.

Boarding animations, when they didn't bug, worked wonderfully and served their purpose well. Holding their PS1 faults against them in regards to PS2 is pointless.
This post doesn't make any sense at all. If you were trying to make a point about something in the post you quoted, you failed.

Enter/exit animations were neat and they did prevent some of the cheesy gameplay mentioned in the OP. However, the choice was made to focus on more important things in order to finish the game. For now, we will have to deal.

Also, the whole 'ruins immersion' argument is ridiculous. Having features that enhance immersion is important but it is not as high of a priority as some of you make it out to be. It's way more important that guns feel right, or tanks sound right, than jamming in a load of crap for no reason other than adding immersion. "Look at the butterflies and how they flutter, they create immersion!"

This is a first person shooter, not a life sim. Try getting immersed in killing people.

Last edited by Aurmanite; 2012-03-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #194
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I have no problem with it being added later. I also like the progress bar idea in the mean time.

Don't underestimate the connection they bring to the vehicle, the overall campaign and the solidity they bring to the game.

Something lacking in other titles.

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
It's way more important that guns feel right, or tanks sound right
True, they ( Animations ) should not be top priority. However they do effect things like pace.

Everything you mention, and animations are not mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Try getting immersed in killing people.
#Sessionbasedthinking

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-03-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #195
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don't care and the poll is needlessly binary, so I voted no.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion