Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We are now on a code Off White alert for trolling.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-08, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #196
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Finally got the chance to read through this thread. For me, the OP has nailed it. Great post Malorn--I hope someone on the dev team has read your idea and has grasped your philosophy on this.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2012-03-08, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #197
Therion I
Private

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Completely agree with OP!
Old 2012-03-08, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #198
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I personally don't mind K/D, but it definitely shouldn't be THE stat of the game. I think if a player plays in a support style roll they should definitely be recognized for those actions also. A big problem with K in PS was that everyone expected everyone to play in a mainly combat roll with some support stuff added in. I think PS2 is going away from that.

I hope the community and game evolve to recognize players who play in different rolls. I imagine in most outfits it won't be straight assault players. Medics should be rewarded for keeping the attackers alive, Engies should be rewarded for keeping vehicles running, drivers should be rewarded for successfully getting a team to an objective, scouts should be rewarded for successfully spotting enemy movements, etc. And beyond all this community of players should be focused on acknowledging players who want to do those things.

It shouldn't be just "OMFG DIS PLAYER HAZ A SIIIIIICCCKKKKK KD LOL LOOK AT DIS NOOB THO ITZ SAS LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!" If a player plays in a mainly Infantry roll, yes, K/D should be a big thing. But they should also be saying "holy crap, look at all the healing points and rez's this dude has, thats some sick med skills." Or, "Wow, that's a lot of freaking Gal drops."

Acknowledge each player according to what they provide to the team.

Last edited by WarChimp130; 2012-03-08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 2012-03-08, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #199
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Reading this whole thread makes me realize how disconnected small communities like the one here are from the rest of gaming.

Others have said it yet you ignore it, and i've ever mentioned how little it actually matters.

I guess you'll only need to see for yourself. They aren't going to remove it because a small amount of people here are speculating how it's going to ruin the game.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #200
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
Reading this whole thread makes me realize how disconnected small communities like the one here are from the rest of gaming.
You make "gaming" sound as if there's only one game and one way to execute stats etc.

That's not disconnected, that's protecting diversity. Everyone here is FULLY aware of what else is going on in rest-of-gamer-land and a lot of it means they know EXACTLY what they DON'T want from it!

To be exact: more of the same.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #201
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

As long as the K/D isn't popped up on the hud by default I think it will be fine. The issue with PS1 was they added to the players view by default, so you had this huge glaring percentage showing how much you sucked or how awesomesauce you are.

Having to hit a key to bring up a menu then browse through some tabs is fine.

I do see some whining bitches screaming at me over the vivox proximity chat for ruining their kill streak when I team kill them for stepping in my line of fire. That shit is going to be annoying as hell.

Last edited by TheRagingGerbil; 2012-03-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #202
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Even if people do have good K's people will just accuse them of hacking, or using an over powered weapon, or exploiting something, or whatever.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #203
WarrantOfficer
Private

Remove KD, this isn't a death match game; It is a team-work oriented game and if dying is part of your role's MO you shouldn't be considered bad because of it.

This is one of the reasons that we have come to associate dedicated healing and other support operations as boring, because it doesn't change a number on our statistics page.

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
GUYS, you're all stupid just cause and I'm either a really terrible troll or a really big dumby.
Oh man, it begins.

Originally Posted by johnflenaly View Post
In all honesty stats, k/dr ect are popular now a days and will entice more people to try PS2, which in the end will give you more to shoot at. Be happy!
There are 537 different ways to ruin a good game, this is #536.

Last edited by WarrantOfficer; 2012-03-08 at 09:53 AM.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #204
Shogun
Contributor
General

deaths should not show on a permanent player stats site.

because it´s a stat you cannot work on to improve!
if you got killed 10000 times, it´s done and you can do nothing about it.

if one of your other stats is too low, you can work to improve it, like too little terrans killed, go and get some!
the only thing you can do about your deaths count is to delete the char and start over. and this sucks.

you can blow out as many stats as you want, but it should all be stats that can be improved. so only positive stats.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-08, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #205
johnflenaly
Private

Personally I don't care either way, I play how I want to play. Changing k/d whoring to state whoring isn't really changing anything. You can try and persuade or encourage people to use teamwork in game but people are still going to do what they want to do. In all honesty stats, k/dr ect are popular now a days and will entice more people to try PS2, which in the end will give you more to shoot at. Be happy!
Old 2012-03-08, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #206
DaSwede
Contributor
Corporal

I am fine with K/D and Killstreak stats as long as they are not flashed on the HUD.
They can be hid among other stats but not flashed in the face as they happen.
Old 2012-03-08, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

This is not game breaking.

I do like it when, in modern FPS games, I get a bonus for killing the the Stat Whores.
Old 2012-03-08, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #208
TekDragon
Contributor

Keep K/D statistics and the rest. Bury it at the bottom of the pile. The front-most statistics should be ones based on teamwork. Objectives taken, objectives defended.
Old 2012-03-08, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #209
Wakken
Sergeant

Agreed.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Old 2012-03-08, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Reading this thread =

I commend you for your patience, Malorn.

I encourage anyone who doesn't think that K/D ratios are detrimental to an objective game to log into Planetside in it's current state. I dare you play for even an hour and bear witness to the legions of Vehicles camped outside towers, the hordes of people camped outside spamming grenades inside never once pushing in, the bunches of outfits and players that specifically target that generator as top priority instead of attacking the base the preserve their K/D.

Play the game, I guarantee your views on the subject will change. Malorn has done an excellent job getting his point across, unfortunately I think it falls on deaf ears. K/D is a great stat for round based, kill-oriented games such as CoD/BF. However it should have absolutely no bearing on a persistence territory capture control such as Planetside. Absolutely nothing is gained from it (save for increased blood pressure and grenades spammed in your face) and so much potential is lost.

This may be a little bit of angry rant/tangent, but I'm tired of all these people who no longer play/only played PS for a months in the early days only to suddenly jump on the band wagon because there's a sequel being made. This may sound incredibly elitist of me, in fact I'm sure it does, but I'm tired of people who've hardly played the original game weighing in on how they think it play and cater towards them.

Play the game in it's current state before you make an assessment of how the game should play. See how it's evolved and degenerated into. Do that, and maybe your post will have a little bit more merit.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2012-03-08 at 10:56 AM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion