News: Bolt Driver - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Admin Powers: the Admin that shagged me
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-13, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #196
Redshift
Major

Re: Bolt Driver

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
stuff
again though that situation favours a slower weapon, if the sniper hasn't been found then the first shot is essentially a guarenteed hit, more front loaded dmg means more likely to get a kill.
We saw it in PS1, you hit targets with less than 70 hp if you can, or if they're in a fight you let them take a little dmg then shoot them. Can't do that with faster weaker weapons.
You'll also find yourself getting instgibbed by slower snipers, happened loads in PS1 two snipers pick the sanme target and splat, happened by accident easily enough with TS is was childsplay, again something that doesn't work with the HSR.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #197
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
again though that situation favours a slower weapon, if the sniper hasn't been found then the first shot is essentially a guarenteed hit, more front loaded dmg means more likely to get a kill.
We saw it in PS1, you hit targets with less than 70 hp if you can, or if they're in a fight you let them take a little dmg then shoot them. Can't do that with faster weaker weapons.
In a sniper duel I can see it favoring a bigger weapon if there is nothing such as in planetside 1 where you shot the sniper and it fucked up his CoF. So the HSR did great at killing other snipers.

You'll also find yourself getting instgibbed by slower snipers, happened loads in PS1 two snipers pick the sanme target and splat, happened by accident easily enough with TS is was childsplay, again something that doesn't work with the HSR.
In a group situation I would think it would be better to use both variants. Faster fire rate means you don't have to spend as much time setting up the shots. So you could just shoot down range and hit the guy you see him hit while hitting your own target.

I really think it will be down more to play style than which sniper is the best at sniping. Even if it's not, it's not because it's imbalance-able, it's because the devs failed to balance it.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #198
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

I highly doubt they would make the TR sniper as bad as the HSR.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #199
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
I highly doubt they would make the TR sniper as bad as the HSR.
The gun I described is not the HSR. It is the current Bolt driver with the HSR fire rate, or very similar to. Speculation though, of an extreme.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #200
Redshift
Major

It is the current Bolt driver with the HSR fire rate, or very similar to.
If that's what you mean then thats even more unbalanced, cept this way TR come out on top :P
Old 2012-02-13, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #201
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

If that's what you mean then thats even more unbalanced, cept this way TR come out on top :P
lol, the NC weapon is going to shoot like 10-20% slower, that's not that much of a difference. If you play MW3 I was thinking the NC gun would have to at least be close to that fire rate.

I'm wondering if Snipers are going to be 1 shotting each other all day though.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #202
Redshift
Major

lol, the NC weapon is going to shoot like 10-20% slower, that's not that much of a difference. If you play MW3 I was thinking the NC gun would have to at least be close to that fire rate.

doubt it, they have active cammo, it'll be a pain to distinguish the head let alone hit it, killing snipers will be up to cloakers again i bet
Old 2012-02-13, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #203
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Well that doesn't happen in games like BF3, why would it happen in planetside? A head shot at appreciable distance when you've got bullet drop and scope sway is pretty difficult.

I'm kind of assuming PS2 will implement some sort of mechanic so that guns aren't simply laser beams that hit dead center period...I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-02-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #204
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Well that doesn't happen in games like BF3, why would it happen in planetside? A head shot at appreciable distance when you've got bullet drop and scope sway is pretty difficult.
They are infiltrators and in PS1 you can 1 shot an infiltrator. So kill times = faster I would still think they could 1 shot infiltrator? I mean we haven't heard otherwise.

doubt it, they have active cammo, it'll be a pain to distinguish the head let alone hit it, killing snipers will be up to cloakers again i bet
Yeah, I was thinking they'd get owned by Infils and vehicles.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-02-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #205
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Double Post... QQ
Old 2012-02-13, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #206
Raka Maru
Major

HSR wasn't bad and could make a good sniper rifle if given more up front damage.

OTOH, would rather see sniper rifles as NS, than ES, but will await judgement after beta.
Old 2012-02-13, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

They are infiltrators and in PS1 you can 1 shot an infiltrator. So kill times = faster I would still think they could 1 shot infiltrator? I mean we haven't heard otherwise.
You're ignoring the fact the PS1 infils couldn't carry rifles, so the class comparison doesn't fit very well.

Oh...and hitboxes.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
Graywolves
General

Eventually they're going to give all the sniper rifles the ability to have the same capability.

People will complain wether it's balanced or not at some point.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #209
ShockNC
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
People will complain wether it's balanced or not at some point.
I have a feeling that the Sniper Rifles will become the new Lasher.

TR will whine that they need a buff for their rifle and the Devs up the damage.

the NC will whine about the TR basically have their rifle only with more Ammo and the Devs will nerf the TR rifle/buff the NC.

The VS will tell everyone that they've been having to deal with having the Lancer and everyone should STFU and deal with it.
Old 2012-02-14, 04:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by ShockNC View Post

The VS will tell everyone that they've been having to deal with having the Lancer and everyone should STFU and deal with it.
The lancer was awesome..... especially when it was the lancer sniper, you should crap yourself with excitement if they gave you that
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion