PSA: Listen Up Guys.. - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, I think my jetpack is broken.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-31, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #196
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Re: PSA: Listen Up Guys..

Those beta keys being given out via Twitter are for access after the vets get in. Not before.
Stop getting your g-strings crammed up your exit hole.

Edit:
Clegg - masterful stroke of genius there.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2012-07-31, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #197
Shogun
Contributor
General

i never worked in software developement, but i was in a lot of closed betas. and i know that it really is complicated!

in games, especially in mmos, a small change can pull off a giant rats tail of unforseen concequences and new bugs.
from the outside it looks as if it´s just a minor thing and shouldn´t be hard to fix, but it can mess up other - sometimes totally unrelated - systems and sometimes make the whole game unplayable.

something that could have happened:
the max animations were broken (we saw that in the tech test footage), they just wanted to enter the real animations for beta start, and get rid of the placeholders.
and boom it broke the max selection in the terminals or the killcam crashes to desktop whenever a max kills you or whatever.
nobody thought it would happen, but things like that do happen all the time.

and with a community as passionate as this one, i would rather delay the beta start, than having to cope with angry mobs of testers who crash to desktop all the time!
yes, this will happen anyway at some point in the beta, but if i could squish a known major bug or exploit before everybody sees it, i would.

or maybe they found out how the aimbot worked who streamed his shit on twitch and want to fill the hole before they gather any balancing data

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-07-31, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #198
Scotsh
Sergeant

Medical applications, as i said, nothing for an expecting public.
But still projects that depend on numerous people and very much on hardware (tho not servers, but imaging systems like CT-scanners)

Concerning stuff involving internet traffic, there still are methods to estimate these kinds of things. Especially if you involve experts in this field with the estimations (which should always be done). Also this aspect isnt really new for them, as they are dealing with MMOs for over a decade.

Considering that the scope of the announced date is very small it couldnt have been a worst case estimation.
They said "beta will start right after tech test". Tech test is now running for what? 2 weeks? Now this is an estimate from me, but 2 weeks seems very good and not like they experienced any problems. So following the plan provided in my former posting, Smedley should have set monday ot thuesday internally and announced a date in mid-august publicly.
I guess the problem was that he had already promised beta before august, which was a mistake in the first place.

Last edited by Scotsh; 2012-07-31 at 08:55 AM.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #199
docseven
Private

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post
Those beta keys being given out via Twitter are for access after the vets get in. Not before.
Stop getting your g-strings crammed up your exit hole.

Edit:
Clegg - masterful stroke of genius there.
hmm no 1 guy in our outfit that just subed to ps1 got in due to a beta key that was given to him.But i'm pretty sure it was his stats that he posted for his computer . So no people that have been given beta keys have gotten into " tech test " . So i will take my g-string crammed up my exit hole shove it further up .
Old 2012-07-31, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #200
ArcGuard
Corporal

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post
Medical applications, as i said, nothing for an expecting public.
But still projects that depend on numerous people and very much on hardware (tho not servers, but imaging systems like CT-scanners)

Concerning stuff involving internet traffic, there still are methods to estimate these kinds of things. Especially if you involve experts in this field with the estimations (which should always be done). Also this aspect isnt really new for them, as they are dealing with MMOs for over a decade.

Considering that the scope of the announced date is very small it couldnt have been a worst case estimation.
They said "beta will start right after tech test". Tech test is now running for what? 2 weeks? Now this is an estimate from me, but 2 weeks seems very good and not like they experienced any problems. So following the plan provided in my former posting, Smedley should have set monday ot thuesday internally and announced a date in mid-august publicly.
I guess the problem was that he had already promised beta before august, which was a mistake in the first place.
But there is a huge difference in what can go wrong with things you didn't even know existed in game development. And you also have to keep your fans happy. With your position, you don't have hundreds of thousands of rabid people ready to lynch you if you make one wrong step.

It's a very high pressure situation, so you have to give viable dates, but be flexible in them. And they never promised beta by the end of July, they said that was their target. Promises and giving estimates is not the same. That why they were so hesitant to say anything in the first place, because people would go "YOU PROMISED ME!!1!1!"

Edit:

Originally Posted by docseven View Post
hmm no 1 guy in our outfit that just subed to ps1 got in due to a beta key that was given to him.But i'm pretty sure it was his stats that he posted for his computer . So no people that have been given beta keys have gotten into " tech test " . So i will take my g-string crammed up my exit hole shove it further up .
Tech Test invites are independent of Vet status, and are ONLY determined by computer specs. Which has been stated. It's a tech test, about servers, hardware, and other software issues, not about testing gameplay.

Last edited by ArcGuard; 2012-07-31 at 09:08 AM.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #201
Kipper
Captain

Personally I'm passing the time by wondering when I'll have the cash together for the needed PC upgrade, and watching random Olympic sports that I've never given a rats testicle about before, and won't in approximately 2 weeks time - but right now, I'm a big fan of.....
Old 2012-07-31, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #202
Atticus
Private

I guess I shouldn't have been suprised by all the rage generated, just cause some people can't test a buggy game for another week. I can see some people being bummed, because I'm sure everyone is just as excited, if not more, than I am to play it. I still can't believe some people would go as far as actually insulting the Dev team, when they have been as open to the community as they can be. Especially considering that only a small percentage of these people probably would have been in the first wave to get access.

Getting the popcorn ready for all the fun threads that will be started when Priority keys start getting in before vet's though!
Old 2012-07-31, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #203
Idunno
Private

Thanks for the site hamma! You the man!
Old 2012-07-31, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #204
Raymac
Brigadier General

Another thing, considering there are about 100,000 PS1 vets, I personally think there is a good chance that the Priorty Access keys will start to trickle in before ALL of the PS1 vets are in. I could be wrong, but I sincerely hope I'm already in the beta by that point, because if people are crying about "broken promises" now...I can only imagine.

Old 2012-07-31, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #205
Atticus
Private

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Another thing, considering there are about 100,000 PS1 vets, I personally think there is a good chance that the Priorty Access keys will start to trickle in before ALL of the PS1 vets are in. I could be wrong, but I sincerely hope I'm already in the beta by that point, because if people are crying about "broken promises" now...I can only imagine.
+1

No where have I seen them specifically say " ALL PS1 VETS WILL GET IN BEFORE ANYONE ELSE".

As per Smeds post in this forum " However current subs are in the front of the line for that. In addition we have Priority beta keys given out hey will be let in in the early phases as well. For people that ask me "I played from 2005-2007 am I in soon?" the answer is you will be in an early phase"

He specifcally states that both will be in the early phases, but he doesn't say one will be in before the other.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the first couple waves, after active subs, to be weighted draws. Maybe more vets than priority keys, but the early wave WILL include both.
Old 2012-07-31, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #206
laelgon
Corporal

The fact that they haven't moved passed the tech test means that it isn't ready to move on to the closed beta. I'm sure if there wasn't an NDA people who were part of the tech test would say that it wasn't ready for a wider audience. It's not like the development team is enjoying telling people that the beta will be ready by a specific date and then having to delay past that.
Old 2012-07-31, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
+1

No where have I seen them specifically say " ALL PS1 VETS WILL GET IN BEFORE ANYONE ELSE".

As per Smeds post in this forum " However current subs are in the front of the line for that. In addition we have Priority beta keys given out hey will be let in in the early phases as well. For people that ask me "I played from 2005-2007 am I in soon?" the answer is you will be in an early phase"

He specifcally states that both will be in the early phases, but he doesn't say one will be in before the other.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the first couple waves, after active subs, to be weighted draws. Maybe more vets than priority keys, but the early wave WILL include both.
Um yeah he does....

Old 2012-07-31, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #208
Atticus
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Um yeah he does....

Yes, he says current subs, NOT all PS1 vets.

He clearly says PS1 vets and Priority keys will both be in early phases, not one before the other (except of course active subs).
Old 2012-07-31, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #209
Sephirex
Major

Smedley defined vets as being in before priority keys here.

http://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/228236911477653504

Although there's nothing directly disproving the weighted invite theory, there's no evidence for it either. I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 2012-07-31, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
Crator
Major General

Thanks Sephirex... I was looking for that and just found it but you got it 1st
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion