"Speeding it up" - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Racist?! I watch Oprah Winfrey every day!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of "speeding up" the game
Yes 48 22.22%
No 76 35.19%
Too early to have an opinion 85 39.35%
I don't care either way 7 3.24%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-20, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #211
SgtMAD
Captain

Re: "Speeding it up"

the idea that organizing ppl in an RPG is like organizing a bunch of twitch monkeys in an FPS is a friggin joke,you have two different types of player there and the playstyle demands and the experiences in game are totally different.

actually I can't wait to see all these "experts' that have zero experience with large groups of FPS players get friggin steamrolled by outfits that have been playing together for almost a decade now and easily slip into the rolls needed in a squad/platoon to get the job done.

now all you wanna-be's go back to talking about shit that you have no clue about.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #212
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
the idea that organizing ppl in an RPG is like organizing a bunch of twitch monkeys in an FPS is a friggin joke,you have two different types of player there and the playstyle demands and the experiences in game are totally different.
Yeah, cause playing an FPS is so much harder then any other game.

actually I can't wait to see all these "experts' that have zero experience with large groups of FPS players get friggin steamrolled by outfits that have been playing together for almost a decade now and easily slip into the rolls needed in a squad/platoon to get the job done.

now all you wanna-be's go back to talking about shit that you have no clue about.
Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
As for organization. Well how can these new guys know what large scale is if they never experienced it? Just like none of us when we first started in PS. They will see soon enough what it's all about but just like seemingly every other topic here they like to think they have a clue but they don't. Ignorance is bliss. All in due time, it will become apparent and they'll get a taste of what scale is all about.
"This new guy" started playing in beta, but keep telling yourself that people who never ever played PS1 are automatically not allowed to have an opinion.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #213
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
"This new guy" started playing in beta, but keep telling yourself that people who never ever played PS1 are automatically not allowed to have an opinion.
Oh they can, they just can't bill themselves as experts.

Old 2012-05-20, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #214
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Oh they can, they just can't bill themselves as experts.
But who did?

If you're talking about me, then in no way am I saying I'm an expert of all things PS1, far from it.

I just don't think it's fair OR constructive by some people to just plain out dismiss any kind of opinion just because the guy who stated it hasn't played PS1 before.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #215
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Yeah, but the poll isn't about PS, it's about PS2, that's what I mean.
This poll is based on the TTK and pacing of PS2 in direct relation to PS1, and since there is much more information about PS1 than PS2 available, PS1 has more bearing on the outcome of this poll.

"PS2 is quicker than PS1, is this good or bad?"
If a player didn't play PS1, that player can't offer an opinion based on experience.

I mean that's what actual beta will be for, not the end of the strategyworld hopefully, but actually tweaking stuff like TTK to were it is balance.
I certainly hope so.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #216
SgtMAD
Captain

But who did?

If you're talking about me, then in no way am I saying I'm an expert of all things PS1, far from it.

I just don't think it's fair OR constructive by some people to just plain out dismiss any kind of opinion just because the guy who stated it hasn't played PS1 before.

ahhh yes we can if the opinion has been proven wrong repeatedly by our own in-game experiences
Old 2012-05-20, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #217
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Who's dismissing anyone's opinion? Merely stating the obvious, if you have never played a game with organized outfits of 100+ doing organized ops then how could you know what that experience is like? Be it PS or any other title. If this description does not fit you then perhaps if was not being directed at you but for some reason you like being confrontational?
I bolded the important part, discussion was that if you hadn't played PS1 then you didn't know good teamplay.
I mearly stated that PS1 isn't/wasn't the only game with big teamplay.

And me being confrontational could be explained by the fact that I was argueing this issue the past page and a half and when you come along and skim in then I'll sure as hell think that you are directing it at me.

ahhh yes we can if the opinion has been proven wrong repeatedly by our own in-game experiences
Wait, what was proven repeatedly wrong?

When did we start argueing about specific details?
Old 2012-05-20, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #218
Badjuju
First Sergeant

I am with Wild that there is a fine line you have to find with damage to health that I am sure they will work on through out beta. If people die to quick then it is all about who shot first, but if they have to much health it becomes all about who has more numbers and you see everyone running around like they are super soldiers instead playing tactically. That is what vehicles and Maxes are for IMO. If they hit the right spot in the middle then I feel it is allot more competitive. If you shot first your not necessarily going to go down, you have a chance of turning and outgunning you opponent. You should also be able to take out several other people if you out shoot them, apposed to games with high health like halo where the only way your winning two on one is if they are awful (in a strait up gun fight).
Old 2012-05-20, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #219
Stardouser
Colonel

Name me one other MMOFPS in the history of gaming (no WW2OL doesn't count, that is too much of a sim)? Just one please? If you didn't play PS1 you don't have the experience of that scale of FPS. PERIOD. End of story. Now if you chose to lone wolf it and missed out on that, then well that can't be helped but the fact was it existed beyond compare and still does to this day.

As for the other part, yeah you got me there. I didn't realize you and SgtMad were having such a love fest.
WW2 OL is definitely an MMOFPS. It's a persistent online world and all that, the problem is that everything is way too slow and thus not fun. Planetside 2 I hope will be a middle ground, but it's threatening to be too fast.

I have said for years that WW2 Online's game world size but with Battlefield gameplay and vehicle/infantry speed would be the best game ever. I stand by that. Imagine flying 5 miles in 10 Blackhawks to assault an enemy base or city? just to be clear, you don't have to travel 5 miles after every spawn, WW2 OL lets you set up forward bases right outside an enemy base/town. And when I say, add BF gameplay to WW2 OL I also mean put in squad spawning and other things.

Naturally there would have to a lot more details to the game world than WW2 OL has but that's the general idea.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #220
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Name me one other MMOFPS in the history of gaming (no WW2OL doesn't count, that is too much of a sim)? Just one please? If you didn't play PS1 you don't have the experience of that scale of FPS. PERIOD. End of story. Now if you chose to lone wolf it and missed out on that, then well that can't be helped but the fact was it existed beyond compare and still does to this day.

As for the other part, yeah you got me there. I didn't realize you and SgtMad were having such a love fest.
Jesus, I already agreed that in terms of FPS PS1 hasn't been toped so far.

My point was soley the stated opinion that PS1 had the best teamplay of ANY game, which by definiton means more then just FPSes.

And you are calling me confrontational.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #221
Stardouser
Colonel

It's a fine line. The developers themselves I believe started out calling the game a sim then a fps. Maybe it was other way around but regardless, they themselves didn't know how to classify their own game. Yes absolutely I agree 100%, the holy grail of FPS games would be a based on a huge singular map, with modern graphics and setting. Would be epic. But we are getting off topic here.
Just curious...did you mean exactly what you said? That the holy grail of FPS would be a modern setting MMOFPS? To be honest, that's an interesting point. You see, I agree...the reason it's interesting, is that it suggests that Higby's dev team has a significant amount of freedom from SOE's actuaries, because if they didn't, SOE might have insisted on a modern themed MMOFPS.

And to be honest, I think there's room(in terms of marketplace demand) for SOE to do both. After PS2 is successful, they should use PS2 as a base, and (and I hate to use this word but) reskin it as a modern theme game. The infantry combat wouldn't even need to change much, although the game world would have to be completely different and modern looking, with cities and everything, and replace the PS aircraft with F16s, A10s, Blackhawks and Apaches.

And since we're talking about game speed here...IF SOE was to make a modern themed MMOFPS, would you expect PS2 and my imaginary MMOFPS to have the same game pace? Or would one be slower than the other?
Old 2012-05-20, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #222
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Let's get back on topic. Thread is about speeding up the game from the original.
Thank you.

I was getting tired having to explain my point, because people misunderstood it and apparently didn't want to listen.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Just curious...did you mean exactly what you said? That the holy grail of FPS would be a modern setting?
He said modern graphics, not modern setting per se.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #223
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Battlefield the MMO...looks like you put a lot of thought into that.
I've been thinking about MMOFPS as a game concept since before there even was a Battlefield, starting back in at least 1998 when I was playing Novalogic's F22 Raptor and Delta Force, and when people back then were saying "oh I wish we had an integrated battlefield"(meaning tanks, infantry and jets in the same game). I actually had hundreds of posts on WW2 OL's boards during its development time. It just never turned out to be fun.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-20 at 12:00 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

We could go on about this for hours I suppose but let's give them their thread back.
Well, there isn't much thread left.

I think the actually "Speeding up"-discussion ended like 6 or 7 pages ago.

Old 2012-05-20, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Stardouser
Colonel

Well, there isn't much thread left.

I think the actually "Speeding up"-discussion ended like 6 or 7 pages ago.

At this point, there's nothing to do but wait until beta comes, and if they haven't slowed it down, demonstrate why it's not fun and crusade from there.

Though I will say, I do think future theme justifies slowing the pace and TTK a bit, shields and all, you know?

As I say, SOE should also make a modern theme MMOFPS(and half the work is done by reusing as much as they can from PS2!): PS2 would be their moderate TTK/pace game and the modern theme one could be their CoD/BF3 paced game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion