News: Video of GDC Media Event - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Surgeon General warns PSU may be hazardous to your health
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #226
Atheosim
Captain

Re: Video of GDC Media Event

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Keep killcam, it's an important part of making the factions completely and utterly hate each other.
An excellent point! Even without it in PS1 I hated the skin right off the VS.
Old 2012-03-07, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #227
Chefkoch
Sergeant

Mmm is there some kind of Battlefield Spotting ? Part 2 @ 3:27 that VS Soldier gets a red marker over the head.

All great..the only think i dont like so far is the kill cam and daily stats or whatever in the vehicle UI.

Get rid of K/D Info..remember back in PS-1 when stats where introduced, nobody wanted to rush a backdoor anymore because it could hurt their K/D.

Chef
Old 2012-03-07, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #228
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
An excellent point! Even without it in PS1 I hated the skin right off the VS.
Precisely, without killcam how will they know I wiped my boots on their corpse after I killed them? Or with this taunt tab... Whatever the devs have in mind. As much as I hate having to look at someone abuse my corpse I thoroughly enjoy using killcam to abuse my enemy's corpses too. Let's all be honest here, some of the funniest moments we've all had in gaming have come because of killcams.

In fact, I just reminded myself of a video I have over on Bungie from a loong time ago now. If it weren't for killcams this kind of thing wouldn't happen!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Fi...gotten%20DziRe

The entertainment and hilarity that comes from killcams and the activities people undertake as a result of them shouldn't disappear in my opinion. I know a lot of people take their games very VERY seriously, but we all blow off steam and doss around from time to time, right?

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-07, 12:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #229
foam
Private

AMAZING. Even wit the temporary Alpha particle effects & sound, it was still awesome. When it was nighttime and you saw VS tanks shooting plasma across the battle and it splashing down on his enemies it was seriously ultra epic.

Most of the objections people are having are nitpicky type stuff that will most likely be changed or altered in the future. Instead of jumping to conclusions, remember it's ALPHA.

TTK In this build is pretty good. It's higher than BF3/COD is right now but not too long that you feel you are versing a boss in some RPG game. Perhaps it could be slightly increased very slightly. If it's too high it would take away from the realism of fighting a person on a battlefield.

I played PS1 for about a month during a free trial (I was like 13 at the time on my dads comptuer), and one thing that pissed me off was the generic look and feel of every base and landscape. Just from these short videos the landscape looks very handcrafted and the bases look absolutely amazing both inside and out.

I suggested on the forums a few weeks ago about having different type of outposts that make your side change strategies a bit like one that's in water so you must focus heavily on air power to drop troops. It appears from Higbys commentary that they are doing similar things.

I am an extremely jaded gamer and am usually one to recognize the signs of a game not meeting my fundamental expectations. I focus mainly on fundamental gameplay mechanics, not fluff or "storytelling" or graphics. After all if the main gameplay isn't there, everything else is irrelevant. PS2 pleasantly surprised me today .

Since I was 12 years old Ive been developing an MMO idea in my mind that is exactly like PS2. Except in my case not only is there land, infantry and air combat but there is space fleets that players can pilot and instead of taking over continents there would be like 12 planets and the fleet of one faction would have to jump in, duke it out with the enemy fleet and then land down on the planet etc. Anyways I'm ranting.

Need new underwear.. And computer.

Last edited by foam; 2012-03-07 at 01:03 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #230
blbeta
Corporal

First off love what I am seeing! Just to see it in motion finally is great, even in Alpha with all the noticeable bugs. The only bug that obviously has to be dealt with is the jerky motion, tank driving footage being the best example. I expect it is on the list.

I am just really happy to see video of PS2. I always loved tactics in PS1. Which makes the light assault look like a lot of fun with jump packs. Was very sad to hear about VS max losing this ability, but seeing it on infantry dulls that pain a little.

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Keep killcam, it's an important part of making the factions completely and utterly hate each other.
I hate them without it!

Just as long as you can be notified as to who killed you I'd much rather have the CAM focus on my death.

Killcam showing who killed you.....
At the very least let me turn it off.
I think it should be gone though, Planetside is/was a tactical game. If you don't know where you got hit from, that is your fault. Don't punish me for killing someone by giving away my position with Killcam. Not to mention how does that work with cloakers and or mines.

Killcam showing your corpse is fine, or even a quick replay of how you died. The later seems like a little much though. If it shows your corpse and then you get information on the screen of who/what killed you that is the way to go IMO.

I also somewhat against showing in chat of who kills who with whatever weapon. This was in PS1 and gives you a tactical advantage if you know what to watch for. Certain weapons would give cloakers away and the like. I lived with it in PS1 and used it, so it certainly is no game breaker.

I can tell from the video that it is certainly further off than I'd like, but just happy to see how good it looks in Alpha.

Night, I agree that I hope there are nights and/or areas where it is darker so night scopes and the like are more useful. Other than that I loved seeing the lighting during the night battles.

I could go on forever...

Keep up the good work. As of now, even after footage (this is a good thing), it still looks like you have a great chance to make the game you have been talking about! A game that we all desperately want.

Last edited by blbeta; 2012-03-07 at 01:20 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #231
Mechzz
Major

Oh man! Tears of joy in my eyes watching the air/land fighting in the first part. Imagine this with hundreds of us playing, just mind-blowing. The base fighting is light years ahead of PS1 and looks easily a match for CoD/BF.

And so, so very gorgeous. T-Ray is truly a master of his craft and his team has produced one of the most beautiful games you will ever see, bar none!
Old 2012-03-07, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #232
HoovesMcG
Corporal

I am a little worried about the Herky Jerky movements. I mean they said they only had 50 players on. IS it going to compound when there are 500? 1000? I saw thesesame movements in PS1 and it REALLY kills immersion. I hated this in ARMA (though they ahve now fixed it there).

I was hoping to have some kind of cockpit view in the air craft. Thats always immersive. I hope Higby and team support track IR as well.

The GFX LOOKED AMAZING.

Overall it looks like they are copying a lot of UI from BF3. Which isnt really a bad thing. I just hope they excell where BF3 sucks. Looks like they are on track for late year 2012, or early 2013.

Good work guys keep it up!
Old 2012-03-07, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #233
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

That is all.
Old 2012-03-07, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #234
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

I cant see any video just got up what going on vidoe video video pleaSE>????? argegeg!!!
Old 2012-03-07, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #235
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by HoovesMcG View Post
I am a little worried about the Herky Jerky movements. I mean they said they only had 50 players on. IS it going to compound when there are 500? 1000? I saw thesesame movements in PS1 and it REALLY kills immersion. I hated this in ARMA (though they ahve now fixed it there).

I was hoping to have some kind of cockpit view in the air craft. Thats always immersive. I hope Higby and team support track IR as well.

The GFX LOOKED AMAZING.

Overall it looks like they are copying a lot of UI from BF3. Which isnt really a bad thing. I just hope they excell where BF3 sucks. Looks like they are on track for late year 2012, or early 2013.

Good work guys keep it up!
Yeah. There were clear signs of lagging, pop-ups, jerky movements. But bear in mind that they said they're in very early phase of optimization.
Old 2012-03-07, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #236
Ductape
Private

First time poster here, had to post after seeing those videos.

The game is looking spectacular so far! Better than a fair number of betas do. Love the air combat, Love the art and scenery, everything is gorgeous. The biosphere is the first video started to ooohhing and aaahhhing and it didn't stop for the rest of the time. The tightly packed courtyards looked amazing and made for excellent contrast to the much more open outdoors areas. And the verticality needs some major recognition. I think I saw troops fighting on 4 separate levels during the videos, ON THE SAME SCREEN!! The inner courtyards looks like they will be some incredibly fun clusterfucks in a major assault.

The tank section looked like a cutscene. Completely blew my mind. The top of the canyon walls looked like the perfect place for infantry to fight and to rain fire down on the vehicles below from the edges. I love the lethality of the weapons too. The ttk is perfect in my opinion. And it looked like there was a noticeable difference between a Heavy assault's and a Light assault's survivability. I also like how many of the enemy don't have markers floating above their heads. It seemed like those that did had been spotted. I also loved how they dissapeared when behind walls so you don't have telepathy like in BC2

Some things that I think should be changed, removed, or made optional are the following

-NO KILL CAM!
-make nighttime darker, it seemed far too light. It looks gorgeous but needs to have a greater difference from the day time.
-PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it an option to hide the +10s and +75s that pop up in the middle of the screen. Its one thing that I despise about recent shooters.
-make the red enemy/blue friendly indicator smaller and a little less intrusive. -make the red enemy dissapear when they die. Its a little hard to see the enemy
-The spawn time has to be longer. Make killing a little more meaningful than 5 seconds down. 15-25 I feel is more appropriate, especially with a galaxy turned ams 10 meters away from the base. I am, however, assuming that the respawn timer was altered to give more gameplay footage.

To finish it off, here are a couple ideas of things to add.
-give the galaxy a more visual indicator when its deployed. Give it a couple claws or legs like seen on the biosphere that anchor it to the ground. maybe retract the wheels too when this happens.
-maybe adjust the indicators. Friendlies have names and status' like we saw in the videos only. When a friendly dies, but is still revive-able they get the blue indicator seen in the video.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #237
Coreldan
Colonel

Well, that is just simply amazing. I mean, the game would be a hit even if they put it available just as it is now in alpha state lol.

My only real concern was the jerky movements, but I have no doubts that can/will still be worked on. Not liking killcam or quick knife (especially when 90% of PSU voted against both ), but lets QQ hard enough in beta to at least make both features manageable

I got a bit worried when the first Magrider blew up to a single salvo, but the others seemed stronger, so I suppose it just wasnt full health. Flight + tank + infantry combat all looked really nice. I was just wondering why was everyone using the carbines and not the full size rifles? Higgles was normal Light Assault (as in not engi or medic) and even he was using the carbine? The ammo box was a bit meh, would hope for perhaps something more like the.. Aegis Shield Generator kind of thing.

Overall the game looked stunningly good and now I need a new monitor cos my monitor didnt like me throwing money at it

As for the TTK, it seemed suitable for a game like this. I come from "1 shot and goner" damage model shooters mostly, but I realize it won't really work here.

Also seemed the Vanguard finally got the secondary gunners weapon on top of it finally?

ASAJGAIGAPEIFJG IT ALL LOOKED TOO GREAT! GIEF BETA!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-07, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #238
EVILoHOMER
Major

The shooting looks really floaty, please add some weight to the guns!

Hope they increase the view distance too, hate seeing all the fog like I did in Planetside.

Felt like the game didn't give you enough feedback to why you died, it just felt very instant and like what the hell happened? Would love to see how you died like COD.

Love the UI, whoever worked on it deserves a raise!

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2012-03-07 at 03:49 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #239
stordito
Staff Sergeant

Amazing!
Congrats to the PS2 dev team, this game delivers a truly PS experience updated to the latest gaming technology & game mechanics!
And most of all community is engaged in the process as much as possible,not with sterile press releases but with constant presence and dedication (and patience!).

ttk time: approved
killcam: could be better,but not a gamechanger
faster movements: approved
animations: approved
phisics: approved
glitches & lag : WIP , so forgiveable!
base design: fantastic,approved. less corridor spam,more possibilities!
TR pride: saved!

Last edited by stordito; 2012-03-07 at 03:55 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #240
Coreldan
Colonel

I really hope this game gets the kind of attention and fame it deserves that PS never got.

THIS TIME THE WORLD IS READY!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion