Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you like ....... Pie?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-24, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #226
Knotz
Sergeant

Thumbs up Re: Cheaters in ps2 nooo :)

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Which is why I advocate them requiring a Credit card to make an account. So that the hassle of obtaining a new card to cheat overwhelms the urge to.
At first I was like "NOOOOO!!!!! That would prevent a huge portion of the population that want to play this game from playing!!! (that being the 12-17 age group)

Then I thought... Why do I want those players to play anyway? If they play they won't be buying anything with station cash, because they have no way to purchase the station cash... and if they aren't there I don't have to listen to their annoying squeaky voices screaming at me all the time...

SOE says that the players themselves are content, so thats why they wouldn't mind letting them play for free, but I'm quite sure that this game will be VERY popular with pop locked continents all over the place... so getting rid of these little pipshits wouldn't do that much harm as it would let someone more mature get into the game... someone I'd like to play with... some content that wouldn't make me scroll down the player list every 3 seconds to ban some little twat... some content that I'd actually like rather than hate...

Yeah after thinking about it, I like your idea
Old 2012-06-24, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #227
SixShooter
Captain

Re: Cheaters in ps2 nooo :)

Originally Posted by GODMOLLY View Post
This game will be hacked 2 days in beta. Fact.
A statement like that should be backed up with some facts and not assumed to be fact. When you assume you make a fucktard of you and something or other...

Old 2012-06-24, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #228
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

It may take longer than 2 days since it is a new engine, but it will get hacked for sure.

Once it is hacked, skill and KDR will be meaningless. I will enjoy myself laughing at people who take stats seriously once the game gets going.
Old 2012-06-24, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #229
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
At first I was like "NOOOOO!!!!! That would prevent a huge portion of the population that want to play this game from playing!!! (that being the 12-17 age group)

Then I thought... Why do I want those players to play anyway? If they play they won't be buying anything with station cash, because they have no way to purchase the station cash... and if they aren't there I don't have to listen to their annoying squeaky voices screaming at me all the time...

SOE says that the players themselves are content, so thats why they wouldn't mind letting them play for free, but I'm quite sure that this game will be VERY popular with pop locked continents all over the place... so getting rid of these little pipshits wouldn't do that much harm as it would let someone more mature get into the game... someone I'd like to play with... some content that wouldn't make me scroll down the player list every 3 seconds to ban some little twat... some content that I'd actually like rather than hate...

You are going to be in for such a shock. You best sit down.

''Dad, can I buy some sc for my new game''

This is the demographic that will most likely fund the game whether you like it or not. I couldn't give a monkeys about zebra pants, and do without. But its what drives a big chunk of the ftp scene.

Check out nexon on google ..hello kitty online ,atlantica online etc

Look at the demographic of who actively goes out and buys games regular, the next mw3, skyrim. Been to your local games store? whats the average age in there ? Bingo.

I'm not knocking any of it, but maybe you too were young once. I started gaming on a snes with streetfighter2 and played it to death. Just because they start on consoles or come from that scene dosen't make them some kind of underclass.
Old 2012-06-24, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #230
Trignite
Private

Doing a valid card check would suck, they could however give players a bunch of options like.

1: Valid credit card
2: Activation code via text message
3: Activation via Phone
4: Activation via reference code (could get this code from a friend with a account that was activated in one of the other options and you only got like 5 codes or something).

Those are just some ideas i can't really think of too many more at the moment, there would be work arounds like phone severs and stuff though.

This would help stop people make tons of fake accounts i don't really like the idea of having to give out my phone number and/or other info though.
Old 2012-06-24, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #231
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

Merged...
Old 2012-06-24, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #232
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Do we really need another cheating/hacker paranoia thread?
I'd like a better spelled one tho

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-06-24, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #233
megamold
Second Lieutenant

everyone who is saying that new players would need to authenticate with a credit card have no clue what they are talking about.

it might come as a newsflash to you guys, but not even all adults have a credit card, since "credit card" usually means VISA.
a regular credit card ( like all adult people have ) will not be enough.

would you really want to play a game that demands you get a visa card, even if you just want to play for free, or just try the game?
do you really want to play a game that requires your card number for no reason? while you have other payment options that you consider more secure?
its like walking into a store and having the doorman demand to see your wallet, cause who the hell wants people without money in their store right?
sure it will keep out some hackers ( but anyone who thinks this will stop hacking is naive ) but do you really want to trade a couple hackers for a large chunk of the playerbase?
i would rather have SOE be active about their hacking/cheating/exploiting detection instead of taking the "easy" way out.

and since when is alienating half of your player base a good idea? even more so if the game in question is built around having as much people as possible.

like it or not those younger guys are the ones that will keep this game running for years. they are also the most likely to spend cash in the store over longer periods. this bussiness model is more popular with the younger crowd who almost grew up with it, as opposed to the older crowd who would rather pay for the monthly server time instead of some random content that they dont really want or need to play the game.

the zerg always worked fine in PS1, the zerg will work fine in PS2. and if we are lucky alot of those younger people will dig deeper and get more into the tactical side of the game.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-06-24 at 07:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #234
Vanoras
Private

Could a replay system allow you to send proof of cheating to GMs ?
Old 2012-06-24, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #235
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Vanoras View Post
Could a replay system allow you to send proof of cheating to GMs ?
well considering they have a gigantic amount of data coming out of the game, you could just send a report with a timestamp and a description.
the QA can then just check the data to see if its true and take action.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-06-24 at 08:16 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #236
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post

I started playing PS1 when I was 15. Most "pipshits" nowadays play better than "ubermature intelligent gentlemen", not to say, behave.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #237
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

The younger a person is, the faster their reflexes are. So that helps them. There are ways to slow the degradation of your reflexes though (playing games that use them is one, IIRC).
Old 2012-06-24, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #238
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by noxious View Post
Unfortunately, the two most common cheats in FPS games, aimbots and wall hacks, don't send any signals from the client to the server that a legitimate client would not also send. Yes, validation will prevent things like speed hacks or killing every player in the server instantly, but it can do nothing to stop a guy from head-shotting every enemy player the second they get into his line of sight.

SOE will have no better luck than the guys at Valve or at Punkbuster in combating these cheats through preventative measures. It's an arms race, and like virus protection, the bad guys are, necessarily, always one step ahead. This leaves us with reactive measures-- but if banned cheaters can just create another free account and start cheating all over again, then it'll be an unending game of whack-a-mole.
I think that if they put there minds to it they could find something, maybe the server will find sighs like if 10 people are head shoted in less then 10 seconds or more depending on the preformence then they will get put at the top of a list and then real people watch to see if this is a hack or just got lucky, really lucky and took down 10 people with low life and was really good at head shots haha.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #239
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

The obvious hacks aren't even an issue here. The real problem with hacks is that their are hackers who you can't tell apart from normal players. In an FPS if you see an above average player, chances are he is one of those discreet hackers.

Even if he isn't, it is better to call a good player a hacker than to call a hacker a good player. It makes me sick just thinking about it... Someone getting praise for destroying the game you love.

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
do you really want to play a game that requires your card number for no reason?
No reason? How about making the game funner for everybody by using the single-most effective way of stopping hackers from making duplicate accounts?
Old 2012-06-24, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #240
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
In an FPS if you see an above average player, chances are he is one of those discreet hackers.
You assume that everyone that is actually good is a hacker*? I find your lack of faith disturbing.

* = term is incorrect
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion