Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside ruined my life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-17, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #226
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Thanks M. I was using an ancient technique known as sarcasm to point out that vehicles that superficially look similar can have different strengths and weaknesses and different reasons for being pulled.
Don't know if sarcastic or just stupid.
Old 2012-03-17, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #227
Fortress
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post

There's also a group of people that believe no new vehicles should be added to the game to keep things simple. Primarily Fortress.
Damn right. Balancing was a nightmare in PS1 without empire specific Aircraft and all this sidegrading goodness, and you guys want to add Mechs just fucking because?

There are a thousand better things to work on that don't have the massive risk of ruining the game forever, and the devs have enough on their plate making some of the biggest battles in FPS history actually work without having to cater to every autistic 12 year old and his Gundam fetish.
Old 2012-03-17, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #228
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post

Unknown (didn't voice an opinion or complained about something else) (11):
Raka Maru, StumpyTheOzzie, Monkey, UnknownDT, EVILPIG, XPquant, Full of Fail, Rumblepit, StraitDumpinSMF, Skittles, Duddy
Actually, I said they would be good if done right, and I want my tank to transform.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #229
Roradan
Corporal

[QUOTE=Vancha;657800]Who said they have to be big?

Here y'go.

Anti Air
Fire support
Respawning
Re-equipping
Deploying mines
Digging foxholes (temporary)
Deploying structures
Becoming a structure
Spawning ATVs
Attachment swapping for vehicles
Base repairs
ANT-equivalent role
Short-term benefits to nearby vehicles or troops.
Blocking resources
Stealing resources
Walking bombs
Remote camera (perhaps commanders could see what the mech sees)
Salvaging
Providing enhanced/unique mission options
Providing proximity VOIP
Supply drops
Tapping into enemy VOIP/Chat
Spotting targets
Scanning for targets
Incoming OS detection
Incoming drop pod detection
OS targetting/refined OS targetting
Showing recent tank tracks/air paths
Enemy mission intel
Showing enemies on radar (similar to PS1 mossie)
Blocking itself from radar (Harasser)
Blocking others from radar
Show fake allies on enemy radar
Blocking lock-on from enemy AV
"Markerlight" enemies (allows something that wouldn't usually lock-on, to lock-on. Rocklet attachment perhaps?)
Electronic countermeasures
Drop-poddable itself
Ability to cross bodies of water
Better camouflaged
Better access to vantage points

Some are roles, some are abilities - some are good, some are probably less good. This is just what I could think of off the top of my head while trolling over the logistics and intelligence sections of Wikipedia. Apart from AA, fire support or blowing itself up, I didn't even consider offensive roles (assuming it were to have any). Do you need to utilize my imagination for that as well, or do you have an imagination too?

Out-arguing people doesn't make you right. For example, your "SIZE AND SHAPE MATTER" post assumed too much about the shape of the mech in regards to it's ability to protect troops, and while you rightly explained that something bigger is easier to hit, your argument only applies to a mech that arbitrarily has to be exactly durable as a tank. Nor did you explain why any health compensation for their height would automatically make them overpowered, and when Cutter called you on it you avoided the question entirely.

Post #110, You tell him he agrees that there's a large number of roles mechs can't fill, which isn't what he's said at all. You make an irrelevant comment about other vehicles that fill a similar role and you basically say that you can't see the use in being able to reach vantage points that are unavailable to other ground vehicles...

Your arguments were terrible, you just weren't called out on them.
m
And yes, the appropriate response to every comment about what's practical or what the army would want or what the military would approve of is "this is a game and it'd be cool".

all you did was list a much of military use's for the mech. and you did not go into detail on how it would make the game more fun to play, or even on how it would be used just throwing a bunch of shit up there. tell me you dont know how it would help or be fun in the game. other than o look it has two legs like me ant that cool, o look i can make it any weapon in the game which would make it a super weapon which would make the game unfun to play. any other vehicle in the game then instead of calling it ps2 we will call it run around in mech's and shoot each other. because that's all people would use since you have them defining ever role in the game. if you were smart you would use your brain and come up with a role that doe's not yet exist. And tell me in detail on how it is and would be put in the game list your role and in "detail" list how it would be used other than ever weapon in the game if you came up with something, then i would be surprised.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #230
Roradan
Corporal

Some are roles, some are abilities - some are good, some are probably less good. This is just what I could think of off the top of my head while trolling over the logistics and intelligence sections of Wikipedia. Apart from AA, fire support or blowing itself up, I didn't even consider offensive roles (assuming it were to have any). Do you need to utilize my imagination for that as well, or do you have an imagination too?

Out-arguing people doesn't make you right. For example, your "SIZE AND SHAPE MATTER" post assumed too much about the shape of the mech in regards to it's ability to protect troops, and while you rightly explained that something bigger is easier to hit, your argument only applies to a mech that arbitrarily has to be exactly durable as a tank. Nor did you explain why any health compensation for their height would automatically make them overpowered, and when Cutter called you on it you avoided the question entirely.

Post #110, You tell him he agrees that there's a large number of roles mechs can't fill, which isn't what he's said at all. You make an irrelevant comment about other vehicles that fill a similar role and you basically say that you can't see the use in being able to reach vantage points that are unavailable to other ground vehicles...

Your arguments were terrible, you just weren't called out on them.

And yes, the appropriate response to every comment about what's practical or what the army would want or what the military would approve of is "this is a game and it'd be cool".

Maybe you'd feel like answering my question regarding all the other aspects of Planetside that cast aside logic and practicality for the sake of coolness?[/quote]

[QUOTE=Vancha;657826]He asked for them.

No i asked for One good role and define and tell me how it would make the game better since i have asked this i get more talking about me and shit then i do get a answer i never asked for a list telling me you dont know what they would be used for and you can't defend that can you i'am still reading all the new post but come on give me a good answer that's all iam asking seem's to me all you mech head's want some kind of gundam which can walk around and fly shoot laser in the base door and ever other kind of weapon you can hook on there.

Last edited by Roradan; 2012-03-18 at 01:37 AM.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #231
Roradan
Corporal

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Mechs are essentially more mobile tanks made to traverse harsher terrain. Their size is a disadvantage as they can more easily draw lots of fire. Just reduce the number that can be built by increasing their cost and I think they could be balanced.
Good answer you made my day you used your brain thankyou
Old 2012-03-18, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #232
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Actually, I said they would be good if done right, and I want my tank to transform.
heh, still can't tell if you're being sarcastic. If you are you should know there is a huge group of people that probably watched Transformers when they were kids (before my time) that think transforming stuff is cool. The only game I know of that has something like that is Starhawk which is a mech transforming into a plane. I haven't played it though. The only thing close to that in PS1 was the AMS, Flail, or the Swithblade deploy operations which made them go through an animation. I haven't played SC2. I think that game has something like a mech turning into a plane if I remember the gameplay videos I saw when it came out. Not sure if that was in the final game though.

You bring up a good point though. Some people find transforming "cool" but are against it because they think it would make vehicles favored over others that are "lame". That's one of the reasons I prefer each vehicle to have abilities and a high level of customization so people that specialize them have a lot of choices. That is always a problem when introducing something subjectively "cool" into the game. However, it should also be mentioned that a lot of people find that stuff you find cool extremely lame and wouldn't use it which is nice in a game to add variety. Like people that find tanks cool and hate mechs. They don't want to see mechs that are cooler than tanks. Which is exactly why I've always proposed they have weaker weapons between a lightning and a tank. You don't want the developers to favor something for balance either. Keeping it as a simple vehicle is much easier to deal with.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-18 at 01:58 AM.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #233
Roradan
Corporal

sirisian has made some very good point's in his last couple of post on this thread thankyou for useing your brain
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-18, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #234
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Roradan View Post
sirisian has made some very good point's in his last couple of post on this thread thankyou for useing your brain
Could you be more specific?
Old 2012-03-18, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #235
Vancha
Colonel

Jesus christ Roradan, learn to quote.

Can someone make his replies readable? Anything longer than a line defeats my patience.

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I disagree with your assessment, both because you misrepresent what is likely happening in the first two processes and because I feel the explanations for each example you've used are plausible within the assertions of this fiction. Nanoassemblers, clone soldiers, and even hovering vehicles are all sensible applications of technology we may one day develop. The VS are indeed shinier than the NC and TR but they should be. They're cheating.

In addition your assertion here is that these things are not possible. While important, this is not the same as whether they make sense within the fiction.
So basically if you like something, it's plausible, but if you don't like something, it's implausible.

Two pneumatic legs and a cockpit (if they were to even have legs), is a hell of a lot simpler than resurrection.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-03-18 at 03:09 AM.
Old 2012-03-18, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #236
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

IMO again, if you want walkers to work the only way they could be balanced is if they are like sentinels(Light to medium armor walkers with one weapon from AI or AT) from 40k. They don't have to be op or gods on the battlefield.
Old 2012-03-18, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #237
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
IMO again, if you want walkers to work the only way they could be balanced is if they are like sentinels(Light to medium armor walkers with one weapon from AI or AT) from 40k. They don't have to be op or gods on the battlefield.
So sort of like a lightning.

To be perfectly frank I think that there are rather few fun roles for a mech unit that doesn't overlap with a role another vehicle is capable of.

Aside from artillery. I think it would be awesome to have a somewhat slow but terrain eating vehicle that can hunker down in an opportune position (possibly unreachable or difficult to reach by other tracked or wheeled vehicles), deploy, and let loose a volley of INSTAGIB NUCLEAR GIGATON QUANTUM NUKLEAR BAWMBSZ. Or some artillery. Up to the devs I guess.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #238
Mirror
First Sergeant

you are wasting you time discussing this as bfrs will not be added to ps2 because of how badly they ruined ps1 and that smed confirmed a long time ago that they wouldn't make an appearance.

Hamma, do everyone a favour and lock/delete this thread as it is completely pointless.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-03-18, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #239
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
you are wasting you time discussing this as bfrs will not be added to ps2 because of how badly they ruined ps1 and that smed confirmed a long time ago that they wouldn't make an appearance.

Hamma, do everyone a favour and lock/delete this thread as it is completely pointless.
No it isn't. We're talking about mechs now.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #240
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
No it isn't. We're talking about mechs now.
+1
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion