Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My other car is a tank
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-01, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #226
Graywolves
General

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
There can be more to skill than mouse aim and ability to move evasively.

Rock and roll didn't destroy society, ironsights won't destroy Planetside 2. They offer reliable accuracy when you need it and have been proven effective in a variety of different FPS styles.

Take away the ironsight graphic everyone gets all worked up about and call this thread "Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Aiming Your Gun for FPS.....". Do you have a problem with Aiming Your Gun in Planetside 2? Do you think that being able to Aim Your Gun is going to ruin the game? Considering the main argument seems to be "Ironsights are only put in to attract the BF3/CoD players", I find it difficult to believe it will both attract them and scare them away at the same time.

Complaining about this kind of game because you are afraid it will have more depth and thought involved is absoloutely inane.

I have a problem with how Iron Sights are typically implemented. Any trained military personnel is ALWAYS aiming with his rifle, this hipfire crap is bullshit.

In games like CoD the Iron Sights are used as an inbetween for acquiring the target and firing, which is moronic.

If I have the enemy in my sights and centered, if I shoot I should hit them.

I have no problem with Iron Sights working as a proper "aiming at people far away" feature. But I shouldn't have this peice of crap "acquire target-aim-shoot-" BS. That's not adding skill, that's making me press an extra button just because.

While we're at it, why don't we put safety switches in the game. So I can put my safety one and off between targets.
Old 2012-02-01, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #227
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Any trained military personnel is ALWAYS aiming with his rifle, this hipfire crap is bullshit.

are you saying he isn't trained military personnel? he isn't aiming with his rifle atm
Old 2012-02-01, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #228
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post

are you saying he isn't trained military personnel? he isn't aiming with his rifle atm
He's conducting a foot-march. Derp.

Notice how the butt of his rifle is already against his shoulder, he can immediatley put himself in the proper firing position at a moment's notice.
Old 2012-02-01, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #229
acosmo
Sergeant Major

He's conducting a foot-march. Derp.

Notice how the butt of his rifle is already against his shoulder, he can immediatley put himself in the proper firing position at a moment's notice.
yep. but he has to press his ironsights button first.
+1 ironsights
-1 unreal/quake/counterstrike style
Old 2012-02-01, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #230
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Gosh, putting himself in a proper firing position...sort of like...putting the gun up to his eye so he can look down the...iron sights?

Don't be such a pedant.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-02-01 at 04:50 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #231
Graywolves
General

+1 ironsights
lol.

I guess you beat me.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #232
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

+1 ironsights
Its a Trijicon acog scope and it is always on. He doesn't have to push anything. The iron sights are back up incase his primary gets damaged. You shall notice his front sight is folded down and out of the way.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-02-01 at 05:11 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #233
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Hmr85, i'm just saying that he isn't constantly aiming with his rifle like players do in counter strike. he is marching with his rifle down to the side. if he pulled the trigger, he would shoot the ground to the right of him, as in, not what he was looking at. with planetside2 having no holstering of weapons it makes sense for players to not have to constantly be aiming at everything they look at.

ironsights allow for this. by ironsights i do not literally mean ironsights, but i mean pressing whatever aim button the game dictates for whatever weapon you're using.

Last edited by acosmo; 2012-02-01 at 05:35 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #234
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Landwarrior System, there is a sighting system on the barrel of his weapon that links to his eyepiece, showing where his gun is pointing and gives him crossheirs to fire. He never has to raise his gun to his eye, or use ironsights.

If we have this in 2011, in the superfuture where Planetside takes place, im sure all soldiers have this kind of technology.

Landwarrior also provides other functions, but i thought I'd share.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #235
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Instead of focusing on realism, focus on what makes the game better.

In my opinion, Ironsights are good because they slow down combat. That way, it relies more on tact than skill to win. Not to mention the added benefit of it being very accessible to newbies.

In an MMOFPS of this structure, both of these are good things.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #236
Belight
Private

As a real life gun enthusiast I love the iron sights in games. It's much more realistic. In real life, no one fires from the hip unless they have no other options. Rambo is just a movie and he woulda gotten killed in the first 5 mins. That's not the way special forces operate.

It also stops the jumping strafing spaz attack shooting that a lot of shooters have.

I think the more tactical and "sim" they can make PS2 the better.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #237
Belight
Private

Originally Posted by Metalsheep View Post

Landwarrior System, there is a sighting system on the barrel of his weapon that links to his eyepiece, showing where his gun is pointing and gives him crossheirs to fire. He never has to raise his gun to his eye, or use ironsights.

If we have this in 2011, in the superfuture where Planetside takes place, im sure all soldiers have this kind of technology.

Landwarrior also provides other functions, but i thought I'd share.
This is a great point. I didn't really think of that.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #238
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

If it bothers people to have a hulking gun blocking their view, I can sympathize.

So it might be a good idea to, instead, just have the accuracy bloom like crazy whenever you move and require you to either slow down or stand still in order to get decent accuracy.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #239
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Belight View Post
This is a great point. I didn't really think of that.
Thanks, though i was slightly misinformed, the Landwarrior system was created in 2001. And has multiple sighting systems integrated, not just one. It also has Thermal, IR and Laser sights that can judge distance and direction as well as a plain camera with crossheirs.

I simply don't feel that futuristic shooters have a need for ironsights when in the present we already have technology that renders it almost pointless.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #240
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Metalsheep View Post
Thanks, though i was slightly misinformed, the Landwarrior system was created in 2001. And has multiple sighting systems integrated, not just one. It also has Thermal, IR and Laser sights that can judge distance and direction as well as a plain camera with crossheirs.

I simply don't feel that futuristic shooters have a need for ironsights when in the present we already have technology that renders it almost pointless.
I imagine a piece of metal is cheaper to produce than such a high tech system.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion