News: Video of GDC Media Event - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: One "M" better than Hamas!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #241
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Video of GDC Media Event

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I really hope this game gets the kind of attention and fame it deserves that PS never got.

THIS TIME THE WORLD IS READY!
Its down to all of us to help out, spread the word... PS2 will set a new standard in the FPS genre. No more CoD/battlefield rehashes... They will have to step up to the MMOFPS plate if they want to compete with the sheer epicness of PS2.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #242
L4G
Corporal

......End of Part 4 .... Open Bar??
Old 2012-03-07, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #243
AncientVanu
Sergeant

Dude where's the Vanu sh*t? Apart from some magriders from a Reaver's point of view in one of the videos we saw no VS? WTH?
Old 2012-03-07, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #244
stordito
Staff Sergeant

Part 5...in wich Higby uses dev console to spawn beers for everybody!
Old 2012-03-07, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #245
Highwind
Corporal

As a PS1 Vet I can say I without a doubt I liked what I saw in today's demo. For me it put to rest the majority of my concerns about the "game's feel" and using sights/shoulder fired rifles. I have evidence that the Dev team is on the right track now and I'm happy.

What still bothers me is resource collecting/spending. I saw the 4 types in the demo, which are give or take are:

blue spiral (only one we saw in use, for buying weapons)
green pill
red circle
yellow "screwattack"
What are their real name BTW?

In the PSU version/clips of the demo, in video 4 at the start, you see what I'm assuming are the income amounts ie. +36 +360 +360 +672 respectively for the colors. What I am wondering is how will these be divided up in terms of gameplay? Will the low income blue spiral be for buying store items only, or does another resource get used in other categories (ie maybe green buys armor skins rather then blue)? As a follow up to that question, which resource is used to buy grenades or spawn vehicles with advanced loadouts, because I don't think it would be fun to feel like throwing a grenade impacts my saving, or not saving for an unlockable item. I feel like having resources be important is a good thing and will add to the game in the long run, but making the income and costs reasonable for said resources will be critical. I know that if they are overly restricted or limiting I am likely to just default to the mindset of "I can't use grenades (or insert X) because I need to save it for a 'better' time", ie Too Awesome To Use(warning tvTropes ahead) and that would be a shame in Planetside 2.

Last edited by Highwind; 2012-03-07 at 04:33 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #246
Fara
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I hate it.
Yup, also hate it. Whats the point in finding a great camp spot or defensive area only for my first kill to reveal my position, gear loadout, weaponry and other people closeby.

It's a cute gimmick but I don't see it being feasible for proper tactical squad on squad gameplay.

Fara
Old 2012-03-07, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #247
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I really hope this game gets the kind of attention and fame it deserves that PS never got.

THIS TIME THE WORLD IS READY!
Yes, I agree.

PS1 came out before its time in many ways. Its biggest downfall was coming out when the internet was underdeveloped and not just in the way of bandwidth and server technology.

The power that was given to the word of mouth through the internet wasn't fully developed yet. Now we live in an age of facebook, networks of friends, youtube, etc. If something is good, we will generally know about it.

Let's just say that now, being a hipster is hard.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #248
Highwind
Corporal

Originally Posted by Fara View Post
Yup, also hate it. Whats the point in finding a great camp spot or defensive area only for my first kill to reveal my position, gear loadout, weaponry and other people closeby.
I don't see why there couldn't be a Cert/upgrade in the 'talent tree' for infiltrators that would block killcam from showing their details like weapon used, and on top of it just make it game wide that any infiltrator kill just shows the player's dead body rather then the cloaker? Solved the issue. If you are a skilled cloaker they don't get to know your BR rank or weapon etc, and if you are a cloaker period they don't get to see you, just themselves dead. Also Mines and Combat Engy stuff just shows the mine/boomer/etc that killed you, why would it show the player the used them? Seems like an easy change even if that was the case.

For every other battle I like the idea of seeing that those bullets that took my head off came of the BR 25 Heavy that was flanking me, or a cool shot of the aircraft flying away after they just blew me up etc.

Killcams can and are a good thing I'd say. They just need to be balanced and restricted in a FEW small cases.
Old 2012-03-07, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #249
IronMole
Sergeant Major

I masturbated to those videos...
Old 2012-03-07, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #250
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i love what i'm seeing so far ! totally stoked for the beta now

but i think ppl dont really understand the purpose of the killcam they chose to use, i'm not a big fan of it but im not against it either.
the frontal cam of the enemy means that you wont allways know where the enemy actually is as opposed to the first person kill cam(cod style) wich tells you exactly where the enemy is.
for ex: you get shot by a sniper from the forest and you see the frontal view of him sitting next to a tree. you would need to know what every tree looks like or get lucky and see a landmark, otherwise you will still not know where he is. and if you can tell where he is then he is most likely where everyone can see him(on a base wall) or not hidden well enough(on crest of a mountain).

also: the ttk was mostly on light assault toons wich i think should die rather quickly ( not cod quick ) because well its a light assault class its not supposed to be able to take 5 clips and live. the heavyer classes will live longer, i'm sure of it.

and i dont understand the bf3 hating, i dont want ps2 to be bf3 but you cant deny that its a great game ( alltough limited compared to planetside ) but ps2 taking a few cue's from bf3 is not a horrendous thing imho. ( and i really like the knife system in bf3 < HINT HINT*)

the market screen makes me think they will have a similar F2P setup to tribes ascend ( ie. no paying = lvling VERY slowly, paying= normal progression) wich is ok in my book. and a F2P model will most likely make sure that the better, more invested player will allways have some low lvl cannon fodder to shoot at, and whats a warzone without some cannon fodder right?

in conclusion : they have to refresh what planetside is and what it stands for, cause if they just copy paste ps1 then this game WILL fail. and i think they are finding a reasonable balance between "out with some of the old, in with some of the new"

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-07 at 05:45 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #251
Socks
Private

just saw some other footage from gametrailers. Some people in the comments dont know what makes ps2 stand out from other shooter. This is because in the footage there are only 10 people playing... which makes it look kind of boring actually

IMO: Sony should try to prevent releasing footage with a low popcount
Old 2012-03-07, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #252
Shogun
Contributor
General

holy father of god!

that videos are exactly what i was waiting to see for a long time!
captain higlo walking right through a battle talking about what we see!
amazing, and it looks so beautiful!

dear dev team, you are doing a great job! just exterminate the alpha movement glitches and let us in already ;-)

didn´t anyone notice the evil part? we got to see the class selection screen and the button for the max unit was already there... WHY THE HECK DIDN´t YOU PRESS THAT BUTTON? i am so eager to see if the nc max is anything like the concept art ;-)

love almost everything i saw!
after that important thing is said let´s come to my suggestions what to change:
killcam sucks in its present form. at least give us the option to toggle it to ps1 style. i need to see my soldier die! and having a view of my corpses surroundings is way more important for me than seeing the face of the guy who shot me. even higby was surprised when he was revived! that´s because of the stupid killcam interruption.

please let us toggle to oldschool ps1 corpsecam! i want to see immediately if i need to respawn or if i should wait for the healgrenade to blow up that just dropped by my side.

apart from that i found nothing to rant over!
i don´t bother any bugs in an alpha version at all.

now i want to see 2 special things next:
max units, and engineer-gameplay

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-07, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #253
Coreldan
Colonel

Yeah lol, I was literally saying out loud like "Cmon Higgles, press the MAX button!!"

But now that we think. They've dropped "the biggest bomb" so far. The game is obviously in a state where most of it works and is ready for publicity. Should be no problem for them to start giving video more regularly rather than the camera phone shots.

I too would hope to see some short videos of fe. Engineer and medic gameplay. Shouldnt be a big thing at this point.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-03-07 at 05:51 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #254
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

I woke up in the night to follow the presentation as it unfolded hoping for a live stream but grateful that there was at least an ongoing twitter feed. I didn't excpect the footage to be up by morning so when I did see it, 10 minutes before I had to go to work, I cursed Fate and quickly watched Part 1 before departing.
I was practically bouncing off the walls with joy, but sadly it was short lived - now I have to face the Longest Shift Ever. Every second I have to keep waiting I die a little on the inside. This thread is my life support
Old 2012-03-07, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #255
Bzak
Private

ohhh that kill cam shows so much. Way to much information a corpse does not deserve to know.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion