News: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit! - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep your hands off your joystick! This is not one of those sites.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-13, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #241
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit!

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Eh?
Q: About the specialization trees, I accept that for example my skills in driving a tank won't help me in a MAX loadout, but do I have the option to improve the "spec tree" for every aspect of the game on one character? In another answer you talked about the option of being "jack of all trades" but given enough time can "JacK" effectively master all the trades over the MANY years? Time is important and for a LONG time picking which skills you care most about will be critical, but the idea of true infinite growth interests me. At what point does it break down into "just make a new guy (character) to do 'that'."
[Certification system]
Matt: Given infinite time and no expansion of the skill tree on our part you could conceivably train every cert in the game.

Q: What exactly is the planned Damage bonus for headshots? Will any Infantary weapon be able to One shot Kill?
also, can you make sure that we playtest this properly during beta? Means sometime with headshots, sometimes without. Just to see the difference in gameplay, and if they are a addidion to the gameplay or just a source of frustration.
[Headshots]
Matt: The system allows us to have different damage bonuses for each weapon. This way we can make it so that sniper rifles give a 200% bonus making them OSOK on headshots and chainguns get a 0% bonus making it make no difference. Other guns like pistols or assault rifles might be somewhere in between based on how rewarding we feel precision should be with each of those weapons/weapon types. Vehicle weapons will likely have a 0% bonus.
Exact balance for this is not final, but that's the general idea that we're going with and we'll tweak as necessary.
Old 2011-07-13, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #242
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-13, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #243
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Ah. Thanks. I thought someone had asked about Alliances.

This is actually now a crucial piece of information, at least for me personally.
Old 2011-07-13, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #244
Hamma
PSU Admin

Saw Higby lurk tonight, but didn't post :O Hopefully he will give us some info on it

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-13, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #245
Bags
Lieutenant General

I was going into information withdrawl.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-13 at 10:03 PM.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #246
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

TBH, I'd rather have some extra damage on the so called "random lucky shots" from spray and pray weapons than sniper rifles getting a bunch of bonus damage (though I'm not closed to that). People are going to aim at heads but the neat thing about a head is that it's smaller than a torso so they're going to miss more.

The reason for headshots on the scattery-stuff: Say you sneak up behind 3 dudes with a chaingun, they're completely unaware. You'd normaly have no chance, the recoil dooms you very quickly...but if you take the first guy out right away miracles can happen. So plant that fucker right in the back of someones head and let it rip...I feel like you deserve a chance of pulling some crazy out of the hat.
Those shots are aimed as carefully as anything, they deserve the same considerations.

Sometimes you just get WTF-ed. Sometimes you pull off a "Holy shit"
It happens once or twice in a blue moon. And yeah, it's not something absolutely skill based, but it brings some unpredictable element.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #247
Bags
Lieutenant General

Bringing an "unpredictable element" isn't something devs should strive for. I don't need crits to take out three people that I catch with their pants down with my mcg, tbh.

Can you imagine jack hammer with crits? /shudder
Old 2011-07-13, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #248
Sirisian
Colonel

I just asked the best question ever.
If that is possible and we have locational damage can you imagine taking out an engine or something with that strategy. It would be a sweet thing for cloakers or even players to sprint up to a stationary tank and do that. Blowing up a planes engine would be even cooler.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #249
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I absolutely love the headshot mechanics clarified.

Old 2011-07-14, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #250
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Bringing an "unpredictable element" isn't something devs should strive for. I don't need crits to take out three people that I catch with their pants down with my mcg, tbh.

Can you imagine jack hammer with crits? /shudder
Indeed.

One of the more irritating things from TF2 regarding crits is when you get the jump on a Soldier and he just spins around gets a random crit rocket that insta kills you. I really don't like the added element of luck being added to any game, but add that into Planetside with thousands of players shooting all with the chance to score a critical hit and would be very irritating.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-14, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #251
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I wonder if it will be possible to have neutral outfits and alliances (if alliances exist).
Old 2011-07-14, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #252
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah, I only played on non-crit TF2 servers. Crits were amusing for a few days but then got tedius.

There's plenty of reasons to support headshots... but "IT MAKES IT LOL RANDOM" is not a good reason.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #253
Senyu
First Lieutenant

really don't see a problem with crits as long as their totally not ridiculous. Like some bonus damage, not roflpwn
Old 2011-07-14, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #254
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
really don't see a problem with crits as long as their totally not ridiculous. Like some bonus damage, not roflpwn
Because whether I win or lose a gun fight should come down to skill and tactics, not random chance?
Old 2011-07-14, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #255
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Damage should not be determined by a roll of the dice.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion