Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 18 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Idle hands tend to lead to the genitals
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-24, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #256
Kran De Loy
Captain

Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
Yeah, I know why 16v16 matches in a console game need an automated anti hacker system, but were going to have 2000 people on each continent, 6000 people on each server (at prime time). Why can't they just have CSR's on every server? Or failing that, a CSR center with CSR's who can just log in quickly to check things out when people file hacking tickets?
The answers to that were said a few times already actually.

CSR's are for stopping the super important obvious stuff like wall hacks, warping and/or aimbot snap like reflexes. However the subtle stuff that masks a cheater so they're can not be told apart from just a good player would usually get overlooked by a live person watching them.

Stuff like this is what PunkBuster is supposed going to be set up for. However I hate PB, it's methods of doing it's job and it's consistent bugs, the most prolific of which is kicking legitimate players repeatedly. Also the company that owns it are full of shit. My biggest complaint so far about PB tho, is that I can think of no viable alternative. (VAC doesn't count as it's Valve/Steam exclusive, otherwise it would be the best alternative, imo).

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-24 at 03:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-25, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #257
Ant001
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I've run allot of gaming servers in my time and some of them have been very popular during the time they where running. I have never had a problem with hackers on any of my servers running pb. The problem is I would say at least 50% probably more, of the admins out there have no idea how to configure pb and there servers properly. I think half the problem with pb's reputation is that people think its set and forget it's not. Pb give you as an admin the tools to protect your server form hackers. Its up to you to use them correctly. A good server admin will have a tight pb config with all the cvar & md5 checks and multiple ban list streaming. Nothing can ever fully replace active admins though.

Someone who knows. Listen to him.
Getting kicked from a server is usually because the admin hasn't set it up correctly.
I would assume it will be done correctly on all the ps2 servers.
No one will get kicked if you keep your client up to date (any idiot can do this).
Old 2012-06-25, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #258
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ant001 View Post
Someone who knows. Listen to him.
Getting kicked from a server is usually because the admin hasn't set it up correctly.
I would assume it will be done correctly on all the ps2 servers.
No one will get kicked if you keep your client up to date (any idiot can do this).
What about the games with official servers that were plagued with hackers, such as APB?
Old 2012-06-25, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #259
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
What about the games with official servers that were plagued with hackers, such as APB?
Its called to little to late.
Old 2012-06-25, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #260
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Its called too little too late.
Ummm ... Yeah. That.
Old 2012-06-25, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #261
Sabin
Private

A simple way to really limit hacking is to charge for the game itself, but without a monthly fee.
Old 2012-06-25, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #262
Sibercat
Private

Misc Info

PB is garbage. They need to do what firefall has done, is develop their own antiHack.
Old 2012-06-25, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #263
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
A simple way to really limit hacking is to charge for the game itself, but without a monthly fee.
OR! Ask you to assign a credit card/ paypal account. Which gets banned along with you.

Will encourage buying if people already have their details in, and slow down the hackers.
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-06-26, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #264
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sibercat View Post
PB is garbage. They need to do what firefall has done, is develop their own antiHack.
they did say the PB is only 1 of the things they will be using to stop hackers.

i could accept having to link with a paypal account ( since it doesnt share personal information ) but it would still burn a large part of the community.

i think its really funny that everyone is up in arms about hacking, yet most seem perfectly willing to give out sensitive personal information like credit cards and stuff without thinking twice.
Old 2012-06-26, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #265
Mechzz
Major

God-dammit!

I spend far too much time on this site. I knew this was a necro before I opened it. Beta! Pleeeeeaasssseeee!

On topic, they have said they will be using multiple anti-hack methods. And have placed emphasis on the in-game CS they will have.
Old 2012-06-26, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #266
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
OR! Ask you to assign a credit card/ paypal account. Which gets banned along with you.

Will encourage buying if people already have their details in, and slow down the hackers.
Of course that will/might discourage those who don't want to pay for anything ingame and want to play the game for free, those who simply don't have a credit card or those who for whatever reason don't want to assign a credit card via the station or paypal.
Necessity might of course supersede those concerns.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-06-26, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #267
megamold
Second Lieutenant

demanding my credit card information makes me want to buy less, not more.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #268
GODJOEY
Private

Back in the day it took a 13 year old to take down sony's security for 3 days and we paid for it. Imagine what it can be like with free to play? They may have their hands full with subscriber hack sites looking to cash in.

Last edited by GODJOEY; 2012-07-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #269
Radant-J
Corporal

This should be top priority. I REALLY hope Higs and Co. see this, and take a serious stance on hacking. To put all this time, money and effort into what may ultimately be ruined by script-kiddies is just terrible. I would rather the hack-protection in PS2 be over the top, than too weak an ineffectual.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #270
james
Sergeant Major

Hacking is a problem in games and f2p its even worse. There will be hacking period, you can;t stop it. You just have to contain it enough so it doesn't ruin the game.
But sadly it seems f2p is having a major issue with it, blacklight is full of hackers, and pretty much every fps.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion