IMO KillCam killing the Game - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You can fool all of the people some of the time...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-01, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
Vancha
Colonel

Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This has obviously been a very controversial topic for some of you. We want you to know we are of course reading through all this feedback.

If I could delve further though, are there restrictions that would make the kill cam bearable for those who are very against it?
Assuming snipers exist entirely within the infiltrator class? Giving infiltrators (and thus snipers as well) an in-built way to avoid being "kill-cammed" would seem to make the most sense (speculatively), or perhaps it could be an infiltrator skill with a relatively small training time? I know having anti-killcam as an implant has been mentioned, but if implant slots are limited, it'd be the same problem that infiltrators had with sensor shield in PS1 - automatically losing an implant slot for something that was practically mandatory.

Edit: Then again, I'm mistakenly assuming that other classes wouldn't have an issue with this.

Edit II: To put it bluntly, if kill cams didn't reveal people's locations, I imagine it'd be bearable for most people who have a problem with it.

Edit III: What if the kill cam itself was an implant (again, assuming implant slots are precious), and infiltrators (and thus snipers) had a skill they could train to block it? That would almost make it bearable.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-01 at 10:53 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

This has obviously been a very controversial topic for some of you. We want you to know we are of course reading through all this feedback.

If I could delve further though, are there restrictions that would make the kill cam bearable for those who are very against it?
I like the idea of, instead of watching it while waiting to respawn, they are stored for later viewing. For a limited time of course.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #273
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by arclegger
In My Opinion the origin of the killcam into fps games was to get rid of campers (nobody liked campers in the old fps days). Now designers use it to help them flesh out hackers, help new players, and give insight to an experienced player as to why he died. It's not there to break immersion and mess up the guy who's getting the kills.
these aren't the old fps days, and camping was only disliked in games without a strategic focus (quake/counterstrike/unreal tournament).

experienced players do not need insight into why they might have died. they understand the scale of the combat they're in and acknowledge the risks in their decisions.

i understand killcams can be useful in spotting hackers, but even mentioning this as support for killcams hints at a possibility that SOE may not be prepared for handling hackers and exploiters.

in response to your question, RadarX, killcam could still be employed for the purposes of helping new players understand the game. once players reach a certain rank, or level of experience, however, they would cease to have a killcam handicap.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #274
WaryWizard
Sergeant

the restriction that would make me happiest is the ability to make it where I can't see it. Personally I don't care a hole lot if my enemies have killcam. I just hate having to skip it everytime I die. When I play COD the moment I die I skip. When I play battlefield I look at my layout and check my gear till I can respawn. I just don't use it in any form cause I find it useless.(previous posts of mine further expand on that)

I would rather have an auto skip option. plz
Old 2012-02-01, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #275
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Put a skill somewhere in each class tree for disabling killcams if they want (early on in the tree)

That way it doesn't kill implant slots, and everyone is happy.

If people want to leave killcams on, they are on. If they don't then they have the option of disabling them.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #276
Jimmuc
Corporal

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
in response to your question, RadarX, killcam could still be employed for the purposes of helping new players understand the game. once players reach a certain rank, or level of experience, however, they would cease to have a killcam handicap.
i find that pretty reasonable, gets my vote. i'd say like BR2-3 perhaps but im thinking that getting to an new BR would take some time with the EVE style cert progression.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #277
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I know having anti-killcam as an implant has been mentioned, but if implant slots are limited, it'd be the same problem that infiltrators had with sensor shield in PS1 - automatically losing an implant slot for something that was practically mandatory.
Not quite the same. You can work around people knowing where you were by staying mobile. You couldn't really work around a lack of sensor shield unless you gimped your loadout with jammers. With kill cams, you just cloak and move away.

@Radarx - I'm not one of those vehemently against killcams, but I would greatly prefer it be one like CoD has, where its a replay, and not a BF3 style, where it just shows you what they are doing now.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #278
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
Put a skill somewhere in each class tree for disabling killcams if they want (early on in the tree)

That way it doesn't kill implant slots, and everyone is happy.

If people want to leave killcams on, they are on. If they don't then they have the option of disabling them.
Well I don't think that I should have to waste/use an implant slot to get rid of a feature of the game that I don't want included when I could be using it on another implant which would enhance game-play. Sure, you may argue I don't have to use the implant slot for that but as I don't agree with the concept of kill-cams in Planet-side I will have to won't I.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #279
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Not quite the same. You can work around people knowing where you were by staying mobile. You couldn't really work around a lack of sensor shield unless you gimped your loadout with jammers. With kill cams, you just cloak and move away.
I used the words "practically mandatory" for a reason. I can't say for certain because I haven't played the game yet, but it seems highly likely that anyone who calls themselves a sniper would consider an anti-kill cam implant - if it were an implant - mandatory.
Old 2012-02-01, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #280
acosmo
Sergeant Major

@ all you implant fetishists, this idea combines my previous idea and the implant idea:

how about making the ability to use kill cam into an implant? in fact, have this implant be with your character since it is made.

you cannot change this implant out for anything else until you gain a certain rank/level of experience, whereupon you may switch your killcam implant out for something else or choose to keep it.
Old 2012-02-01, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
I like the idea of, instead of watching it while waiting to respawn, they are stored for later viewing. For a limited time of course.
This would also be fine for me, but technically I imagine it being less feasible (but if not, then great). Though there are still people who'd dislike having others see their clever hiding locations.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-01 at 11:10 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I used the words "practically mandatory" for a reason. I can't say for certain because I haven't played the game yet, but it seems highly likely that anyone who calls themselves a sniper would consider an anti-kill cam implant - if it were an implant - mandatory.
I don't see why. It would only be kind of important if you were trying to some lone wolf elite sniper. Plenty of snipers will be sniping in a gaggle on top of a hill with a sunderer/gal nearby and aa cover, their position immediately apparent to anyone with a pair of brain cells to rub together, or will just be a squad sniper while running with the squad, ready to poke at HA users or people in turrets or something.

Not a lot of people would consider it necessary. The act of shooting still gives your position away to anyone who can see it. Not having the implant means one person is guaranteed to know your general position, but does not guarantee nobody else saw the tracer. It also does not guarantee the person will immediately drop everything to seek revenge, nor does it guarantee they will care enough to report your position, nor does it mean they are in a squad that they can report it too, nor does it mean that they will be able to give quick and accurate locational data, nor does it guarantee the squad will drop everything to immediately go hunt you down, nor does it mean you won't have the opportunity to relocate before anyone gets to your previous position(you are a sniper, after all.. they tend to be a ways off). And all of that only applies if you are actively trying to hide your position.

Having the implant is simply not much of an advantage, and the intel the enemy gets not very special.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-02-01 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #283
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Kill Cams have only existed in small, kill-count based games set up in special matches based on total score or time limit.

Planetside is not small
Planetside is not based on your kill count
Planetside doesn't have matches

Planetside is an ongoing war. Sure we may pay attention to who has the most kills but any PS vet will tell you that doesn't make them the best player. Because PS is more about tactics then any other FPS, revealing the enemy's position after a kill really changes the dynamic of game play.

I don't give a shit about the guys who want to try to track down the guy who shot them, or the guys who want to taunt on a kill cam. I'm concerned about the Sniper on a ridge giving away the Galaxy behind him on a kill cam. The Galaxy gunner getting a kill and the cam revealing he's the only gunner. Plus we're getting a closer look at customizations on weapons and vehicles. There's all kinds of little details a vet can use to gain a tactical advantage of that area, and it just doesn't seem right to reward those by getting killed and watching a kill cam.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-02-02, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #284
ThGlump
Captain

Killcam is benefit. It helps you against others (know they location, learn etc). And as such you should pay for it. Make it you need implant for it (first 5 BR its free).
Old 2012-02-02, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #285
Marth Koopa
Banned

Giving snipers a "no killcam" skill would be the easiest way. It's not like a killcam is going to affect other classes who are going to be on the move all the time.

Also, I would really like to be able to turn off viewing killcams outright. To be perfectly honest, it would be immersion-breaking for me to see my killer. When I die, I want to see the dirt in my face.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion